Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is Cleaning Help Worth It?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:19 pm
I had a cleaning lady today and there’s no sign of her visit. What with wet swimwear everywhere, today’s clean and dirty laundry, cooking for shabbos that only started after she left plus whatever else will happen from now till shabbos.
Trying to figure out why it’s worth it if the results only last for a minute after she leaves. After she leaves each room, not my house. By the time she finishes the whole house she can technically start again.
On the same note, is it worth making beds in the morning if it gets messed up again at night?
I can use some clarity here. TIA

gdgirl

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:20 pm
I feel ya
That is all

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:35 pm
gdgirl wrote:
I feel ya
That is all

So do I continue making beds or give it up?

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:36 pm
I used to feel the same. And then Covid happened and I didn’t have cleaning help for over 3 months—and I realized that even if the house looks messy right after she leaves, it’s definitely better than not having her at all. Trust me. A bathroom that got dirty an hour after being cleaned is still much cleaner than a bathroom not cleaned in 2 months (no judgement please. Those 2 months were a nightmare for our family and cleaning was last on my mind.)

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:39 pm
Maybe it's not worth it. Can you pick up the swimwear and hang it up to dry as soon as the children take it off or unpack it? Can you tell them to do it themselves? Can one of them sort out the laundry? Can u sort the laundry and fill the machine at night and turn it on during the day? Can you do the laundry at night? What are the other messy hotspots of the house? Can they be cleaned easily? Can you do that? can one of your children? Would your husband help out and do some of the jobs that need to be done?
What jobs does the cleaning help do? If there are a lot of jobs to do and she does them, then maybe it is worth it? Make a list of the jobs she did today. Make a list of the jobs she should do next time she comes. If there are a lot of items on that list, it could be worth it.
I am just thinking aloud here.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:39 pm
amother [ Plum ] wrote:
I used to feel the same. And then Covid happened and I didn’t have cleaning help for over 3 months—and I realized that even if the house looks messy right after she leaves, it’s definitely better than not having her at all. Trust me. A bathroom that got dirty an hour after being cleaned is still much cleaner than a bathroom not cleaned in 2 months (no judgement please. Those 2 months were a nightmare for our family and cleaning was last on my mind.)

I know I know.
It was just a vent.
And no judgement at all. Not on my watch.

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:40 pm
I like to make beds so that they can be sat on during the day, if needs be. It is hard to sit on rumpled bed clothes. But making beds takes maybe one minute per bed. I don't do hospital corners or anything liken that.

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:42 pm
Can you keep Lysol/Clorox wipes in the bathrooms and give a quick whisk each day or two? They make my breathing really bad so I can't use them so easily, but they are rather handy. My husband bought another brand that don't have such a chemical small, which made things easier still. And those wipes on a stick deal for cleaning the toilet? Genius. You can have a clean bathroom in seconds.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:44 pm
thatworn wrote:
Maybe it's not worth it. Can you pick up the swimwear and hang it up to dry as soon as the children take it off or unpack it? Can you tell them to do it themselves? Can one of them sort out the laundry? Can u sort the laundry and fill the machine at night and turn it on during the day? Can you do the laundry at night? What are the other messy hotspots of the house? Can they be cleaned easily? Can you do that? can one of your children? Would your husband help out and do some of the jobs that need to be done?
What jobs does the cleaning help do? If there are a lot of jobs to do and she does them, then maybe it is worth it? Make a list of the jobs she did today. Make a list of the jobs she should do next time she comes. If there are a lot of items on that list, it could be worth it.
I am just thinking aloud here.

I actually dry the swimwear nightly. The dryer was taken tonight though.
Messy hotspots? Let’s see;
Kitchen
Bathrooms
Playroom with toys leaking out all over the place
Various items in various locations
Need I go on?
My husband helps. He makes his bed. I hear that’s not a given. So I appreciate that. He helps in other ways but not actually with the housework. My kids help too. But it’s still never ending.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So do I continue making beds or give it up?

I make all beds and tidy up each room before starting my day. This way there is a clean neat feeling as you get into bed at night. Don’t stop making the beds.

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:45 pm
There is a difference between messy and dirty, also. Children do make mess. They can be taught to keep things in a more orderly fashion. Or you can pick up after them frequently. I don't know how cleaning ladies help out with mess, because how do they know where everything should be placed?

amother
Oak

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:49 pm
Why is there wet swimwear everywhere?

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:50 pm
Let the toyroom be for as long as you can. It is their area, maybe they can take responsibility for its messiness. You could ask them to put their toys away before the cleaning lady comes, so that you can pay her for cleaning, rather than tidying? or maybe they don't like putting toys away. Mine become frantic if they are ever asked such a thing.
Is the kitchen mess easily fixable? More than just dirty dishes in the sink?
Various items in various places … can you put a few brightly coloured, cute looking baskets, emblazoned with a sign saying "These items must be returned to their homes" in a few places in the house and every so often ask that the children and hub to a "swoop" and pick up the various items and place them in the boxes? Then they'll not be so spread out and making the house a tip, and you could pick up a basket (or ask one of the children or the hub) and walk round the house with it depositing the items back into their places?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:52 pm
thatworn wrote:
There is a difference between messy and dirty, also. Children do make mess. They can be taught to keep things in a more orderly fashion. Or you can pick up after them frequently. I don't know how cleaning ladies help out with mess, because how do they know where everything should be placed?

You’re right. My cleaning lady basically only cleans and washes up. Or she’ll collect items into one pile for us to put away. My kids can’t be bothered to keep things orderly without constant reminders. So it’s mostly on me. Hence, the live in maid status I carry.

thatworn

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:53 pm
It is never ending. That is the way it is with a family, B"H. If you need a house to look really pristine and well organized and you have money to spend, have someone clean and organize it daily. if not, then ask your family to help, make priorities, and izzzy whizzy, let's get busy.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:54 pm
thatworn wrote:
Let the toyroom be for as long as you can. It is their area, maybe they can take responsibility for its messiness. You could ask them to put their toys away before the cleaning lady comes, so that you can pay her for cleaning, rather than tidying? or maybe they don't like putting toys away. Mine become frantic if they are ever asked such a thing.
Is the kitchen mess easily fixable? More than just dirty dishes in the sink?
Various items in various places … can you put a few brightly coloured, cute looking baskets, emblazoned with a sign saying "These items must be returned to their homes" in a few places in the house and every so often ask that the children and hub to a "swoop" and pick up the various items and place them in the boxes? Then they'll not be so spread out and making the house a tip, and you could pick up a basket (or ask one of the children or the hub) and walk round the house with it depositing the items back into their places?

I like the basket idea. I especially need one for the steps. There’s always stuff in need of going up or down.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:54 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
Why is there wet swimwear everywhere?

Um, daily swimming in daycamp?

giselle

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:57 pm
I think that even if your kids are messing up the house right after she cleans, it’s still worth it for bathrooms, floors, folding and putting away laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the fridge, polishing silver.. need I go on... All things that need to be done regardless of how many toys or swimwear are around.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:05 am
giselle wrote:
I think that even if your kids are messing up the house right after she cleans, it’s still worth it for bathrooms, floors, folding and putting away laundry, washing dishes, vacuuming, dusting, cleaning the fridge, polishing silver.. need I go on... All things that need to be done regardless of how many toys or swimwear are around.

I agree. I was just bothered that there’s no noticeable sign of her being here today. But I’m not planning to fire her in the near future. And I’ll continue making beds too. Just gotta incorporate some of the suggestions how to keep it clean even after she leaves.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Um, daily swimming in daycamp?

So how does that translate to bathing suits everywhere?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics