Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Is Cleaning Help Worth It?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:16 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
So how does that translate to bathing suits everywhere?

A handful of swim bags sitting around in various locations waiting for the dryer to be empty and available.
You’re right. It was more of an expression. Not exactly swimsuits everywhere, but enough to mess up the post cleaning lady look...

thatworn

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:17 am
Doesn't the dryer wreck nylon items?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:19 am
thatworn wrote:
Doesn't the dryer wreck nylon items?

I’ve been doing it for years. Works like a charm. Dry it nightly straight from the bag and once a week I wash and dry.

thatworn

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:22 am
Can your children unpack their swimming things and put them in the dryer, if that's where you dry them? It's not such a difficult job, even for a 3 year old. You could unpack the other bags/lunch bags and hang them up, they could take responsibility for swim stuff?

thatworn

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:23 am
If the dryer is in use when they are unpacking, could they place them in an empty laundry basket next to the dryer?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:26 am
thatworn wrote:
Can your children unpack their swimming things and put them in the dryer, if that's where you dry them? It's not such a difficult job, even for a 3 year old. You could unpack the other bags/lunch bags and hang them up, they could take responsibility for swim stuff?

That is usually the case but tonight the laundry room was too busy to handle any additional stuff.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:27 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A handful of swim bags sitting around in various locations waiting for the dryer to be empty and available.
You’re right. It was more of an expression. Not exactly swimsuits everywhere, but enough to mess up the post cleaning lady look...

The post cleaning lady "look" lasts a few hours.

The cleaning lasts longer than that.

The tidying is the bonus - the cleaning is what you are paying for.

crust

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:42 am
Yes it pays. Instead of 3 times a week I should have this 7 days a week.

And 12 hours a day wouldn't be overdone.

A girl can dream...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:48 am
crust wrote:
Yes it pays. Instead of 3 times a week I should have this 7 days a week.

And 12 hours a day wouldn't be overdone.

A girl can dream...

Finally a voice of reason!

mommy3b2c

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:44 am
thatworn wrote:
There is a difference between messy and dirty, also. Children do make mess. They can be taught to keep things in a more orderly fashion. Or you can pick up after them frequently. I don't know how cleaning ladies help out with mess, because how do they know where everything should be placed?

My cleaning lady is with me for 12 years. I ask HER where things belong. If someone works for you, it’s not that had to tell her where things belong.

freilich

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:50 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
So how does that translate to bathing suits everywhere?

Banging head

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:52 am
Clean and neat are not mutually exclusive.
I need my cleaning lady to dust, scrub, wash, etc. So what if my kids toys take up every square inch of the playroom? So what if clean laundry is all over by bed waiting to be put away? I can deal with messy. I can’t deal with dirty.
Too bad I haven’t seen my cleaning lady since early March Sad

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:52 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
The post cleaning lady "look" lasts a few hours.

The cleaning lasts longer than that.

The tidying is the bonus - the cleaning is what you are paying for.

Agreed! Tidy and clean are two different things. Pay her to scrub the bathtubs and stuff like that. You can do a ten-minute pickup job three times a day, and you'll more or less be on top of things.

If I see a house with children that looks pristine, I worry. My kids are grown now, and my house is tidy. But when they were little, it looked like children lived there. As it should. Fun is messy.

Britmummy

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:05 am
I cook for shabbos on Thursdays and my cleaner comes in on Friday mornings. I think this is the secret.

I work Fridays. When I get home, everything is ready for shabbos and the house is clean and smells good.
I literally only need to get myself ready, set the dinner table and reheat the food. It's far less stressful this way!

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:37 pm
Well back to the beds, since you asked.

Do you use duvet covers or top sheets, because that will make all the difference.

And I felt the same as you a few months ago, but now I see that my cleaning lady was doing more than I realized - I thought she was cutting corners, but we haven't had her back since lockdown, and I see where dust builds up now.

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 6:54 pm
Cleaning help is worth every penny. She does all the cleaning scrubbing etc but the house is still plenty messy when she leaves from toys and shoes etc.

I feel bad for her because by the time she leaves my house the first rooms she cleaned have clutter already. It’s probably very not satisfying for her to see my family’s dinner leftovers sitting on the table that she just cleaned an hr before

zaq

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 8:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had a cleaning lady today and there’s no sign of her visit. What with wet swimwear everywhere, today’s clean and dirty laundry, cooking for shabbos that only started after she left plus whatever else will happen from now till shabbos.
Trying to figure out why it’s worth it if the results only last for a minute after she leaves. After she leaves each room, not my house. By the time she finishes the whole house she can technically start again.
On the same note, is it worth making beds in the morning if it gets messed up again at night?
I can use some clarity here. TIA

Yes, it's worth making beds because the room looks infinitely better that way during the day. A tidy room with an unmade bed is an untidy room. This influences your mood and your activities, even if the only person who sees the room is you. (And what if you had to call someone in for help, say, to change a light bulb or battle a killer wasp? embarrassed) When you feel better about the room, you feel better about yourself, and you're more likely to do things to keep other parts of the room and the house tidy. Not to mention that when you're falling off your feet, it's much more pleasant to be able to just fall into a bed that's neatly made and ready for use than to have to start straightening out the bedding before you can say nitey-nite.

As for a cleaner, it depends on what that person does. A cleaner is there to clean, not to tidy. Dirt accumulates, and the cleaner is there to remove whatever has accumulated since the last time. IOW, maintenance. If you had no cleaner, and didn't clean yourself, the dirt would build and build and build to the point that it might not be removable at all except by brutal means that could do more harm than good. Let's say the cleaner removes the food splatters on the kitchen walls. Something tells me you don't even notice them. But if they weren't removed once a week or however often the cleaner comes, they would soon be extremely noticeable and extremely hard to remove.

Look at it this way: why wash your hair and clothes if they're just going to get dirty again? Because if you don't, they'll get dirtier and dirtier and dirtier until you won't be able to stand yourself, and neither will anybody else.

I assume you have young children. The scenario you describe--things start to fall apart almost as soon as the cleaner walks out--is typical of a household with young children. It's got nothing to do with the cleaner.

Whether or not a cleaner is worth it depends on your budget, your likes and dislikes, and your priorities. If your whole life is a battle against the forces of evil aka dirt and you just haven't the energy or time, then yes. If you could be working and making three times what you pay the cleaner, then yes. If you like cleaning and find yourself doing over the things that the cleaner does, then no.

believeit

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:16 am
My cleaning help is worth every penny and my sanity LOL

Chayalle

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 9:55 am
My cleaning help does certain things more deeply than I do, so yes, I do think she's worth it. I think, OP, it depends on what your cleaning lady does.

I happen to be one of those people who needs clean, I can't function otherwise. Before I start my Shabbos cooking, I scrub down the counters, because otherwise I don't feel like cooking. My house was pretty functional during COVID...but then, when she came back, I saw that she cleaned the walls near the ceiling, and scrubbed down the blinds, and all sorts of things that I admit I don't do.

So for me, having cleaning help here and there is worth it, for the deep cleaning. Even if I end up doing lots of cleaning-up-after-everyone type of cleaning.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Jul 17 2020, 10:07 am
You said you like ur method of using the dryer but here's an idea- if u have outdoor hanging space- dont bring the wet items in. My kids are little so after I pick them up and were walking into the house with the camp bags- we stop on the porch hang up all towels robes and bathing suits. They are waiting there dry for us the next morning!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics