Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Black Lives Matter article in Baltimore Jewish Life
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 8:08 pm
leah233 wrote:
My mother and many family members of mine were public school teachers.

They say that one of the most destructive things done to the black community was the efforts made by liberals in the late 60s and on to purge the public school system from male and particularly white male teachers.

Some of these Jewish teachers who were replaced in the late 60s to have affirmative action educators instead,
really cared with their hearts and souls to see the black kids do better in life. Many of them grew up in the same inner city to immigrant parents who spoke no English and could have been such wonderful role models.

Instead they and the black children (particularly boys) were sacrificed for affirmative action.

This is such an interesting point. In my district there are mostly white female staff members. I do think having Male teachers (black or white) is a positive thing for the students. Male teachers can be positive role models for these kids. However, I also want to point out that often the students separate themselves from their teachers in a severe way. They do not even conceptualize acting like their role model teachers because they feel it is so far removed from them. They perceive they are from a different world (which is true) and that being a teachers pet (meaning simply following the rules, studying, taking tests, not completely failing) is socially unacceptable. I cannot tell you how many times I have overheard black kids telling other black kids "you are being so white!"

princessleah

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 9:18 pm
I was talking to a patient the other day who Told me she’s considering reapplying to college. But she’s scared because she doesn’t have attention span for online classes. She flunked out of community college the first go-round.
In fact, she flunked every year of HS and had to go to summer school. I asked if she wanted a referral for neuropsych testing and if anyone ever suspecting she had ADD or a learning disorder.
She was like “no— they just assumed I was dumb”

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:11 am
Can I ask a really innocent question? Why is it that these babies are born out of wedlock? Do they really want to have children with these men? I would assume not or at least not at that stage so what is so hard about popping a pill?
Yes it may not work 100% of the time but it definitely works the majority. Is it just a subconscious thing that they were born to a teenage mother so they will have a baby at that age as well?

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:18 am
Marcellus Wiley spoke today about the importance of fathers and the importance of the nuclear family. He said that is why he does not support BLM because as a black man he saw how he had an advantage over his friends as he grew up in an intact family and when he read BLM mission statement among other "goals" it said they want to disrupt the western nuclear family. He said he is not in support of painting BLM anywhere or supporting them at all due to their mission statement.
He said that probably most people have not read the BLM mission statement and have no idea what they are lending their support to in the mistaken idea they are promoting racial equality.
Also this poor father of the 19 year old black teen killed by CHAZ CHOP said this morning in vid how much he appreciated that President Trump called him to give him condolences whereas the Seattle mayor Jenny Durkan he has heard nothing from her at all. Appreciate his intellectual honesty.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:31 am
amother [ Ginger ] wrote:
Can I ask a really innocent question? Why is it that these babies are born out of wedlock? Do they really want to have children with these men? I would assume not or at least not at that stage so what is so hard about popping a pill?
Yes it may not work 100% of the time but it definitely works the majority. Is it just a subconscious thing that they were born to a teenage mother so they will have a baby at that age as well?

For teenagers it confers adulthood and is a status symbol and a mark of defiance against "white" society. Teenagers also often live for the moment and don't consider the future. Their mothers actually expect them to get pregnant although from what I read, the abortion rate is also very high.
Adults who have a child out of wedlock simply want to become mothers but don't necessarily want a lifetime commitment to the child's father but he may stay in the child's life and pay child support. These mothers may consciously decide to only have one child since one child does the job if conferring motherhood.
I think that there is lots of mental illness and dysfunctional thinking in Black community which may lead to making poor reproductive choices.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:33 am
welfare gives more to a single mother
so it discourages marriage and father living in the home
welfare gives more per child

good intentions with poor unintended consequences

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:38 am
So interesting as if I was a teenager I'd be terrified to have a baby. I guess they are just not thinking or the thinking is warped

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:40 am
Sadly yet unsurprisingly antisemitic chanting and vandalism is gaining traction among BLM protesters across the world. This is what I think the author didn't realize. That and BLM mission statement.
All too often well meaning people support BLM thinking they are taking a stand against racism; unfortunately that is not what BLM is about as they make very clear in their mission statement.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:43 am
southernbubby wrote:
For teenagers it confers adulthood and is a status symbol and a mark of defiance against "white" society. Teenagers also often live for the moment and don't consider the future. Their mothers actually expect them to get pregnant although from what I read, the abortion rate is also very high.
Adults who have a child out of wedlock simply want to become mothers but don't necessarily want a lifetime commitment to the child's father but he may stay in the child's life and pay child support. These mothers may consciously decide to only have one child since one child does the job if conferring motherhood.
I think that there is lots of mental illness and dysfunctional thinking in Black community which may lead to making poor reproductive choices.

A single mother told her story on The Moth. She had been bounced around in the foster system and was so excited to be pregnant and have a baby she could pour all her love into. She sounds like a really good mother, particularly dealing with big challenges. But this is clearly not way things should be optimally.

LovetoLive

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:07 am
Do black teenagers not have access to birth control? Why would they intentionally try to get pregnant? Sounds like a massive educational campaign is needed in high schools.

princessleah

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:10 am
LovetoLive wrote:
Do black teenagers not have access to birth control? Why would they intentionally try to get pregnant? Sounds like a massive educational campaign is needed in high schools.

Yes but the same republicans preaching personal responsibility are also pushing abstinence-only zex education

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:26 am
princessleah wrote:
Yes but the same republicans preaching personal responsibility are also pushing abstinence-only zex education

What changes need to be made so that in 20 years we're not still talking about this? What needs to be done and by who so that blacks can truly be equal and achieve success in the same manner as white people?

We've had a black president, black governors, black mayors, black city councils, black chief of police..... obviously, that's not doing anything. What needs to happen and by who?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:58 am
shoshanim999 wrote:
What changes need to be made so that in 20 years we're not still talking about this? What needs to be done and by who so that blacks can truly be equal and achieve success in the same manner as white people?

We've had a black president, black governors, black mayors, black city councils, black chief of police..... obviously, that's not doing anything. What needs to happen and by who?

The Democrat Party cannot win unless Majority of Black People are Poor and dependent on hand-outs.

Democrat Party cannot win any election unless they convince Black People that the reason they are poor is because of "systemic racism".

So the Democrat Party CREATED a welfare system that creates out-of-wedlock births and STOPS UPWARD MOBILITY of black people - trapping them with "free money" to keep Black People from working their way up the economic ladder.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:00 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
welfare gives more to a single mother
so it discourages marriage and father living in the home
welfare gives more per child

good intentions with poor unintended consequences

It's NOT unintended consequences. It is DELIBERATE plan to trap black people into poverty
and then claim it is "systemic racism". That's the only way Democrats win elections.

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:01 pm
princessleah wrote:
I was talking to a patient the other day who Told me she’s considering reapplying to college. But she’s scared because she doesn’t have attention span for online classes. She flunked out of community college the first go-round.
In fact, she flunked every year of HS and had to go to summer school. I asked if she wanted a referral for neuropsych testing and if anyone ever suspecting she had ADD or a learning disorder.
She was like “no— they just assumed I was dumb”

I'm not sure what your point is but some people aren't academic and don't belong in school. would you want a doctor treating a family member and the doctor wasn't a good student and didn't understand much, but the college or school lowered the bar so that he or she can graduate?

"Dumb" is a mean word, but wouldn't you agree that some don't have the cognitive ability to study and understand certain content necessary to work in certain fields? Should a person who is weak in math get pushed thru school and allowed to become an engineer so that they can build bridges and cars will fall thru and end up in the water below?

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:08 pm
This is a must watch video about Black Lives Matter - I don't know how post it but here is the link:

https://mobile.twitter.com/con.....58626

princessleah

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:35 pm
shoshanim999 wrote:
I'm not sure what your point is but some people aren't academic and don't belong in school. would you want a doctor treating a family member and the doctor wasn't a good student and didn't understand much, but the college or school lowered the bar so that he or she can graduate?

"Dumb" is a mean word, but wouldn't you agree that some don't have the cognitive ability to study and understand certain content necessary to work in certain fields? Should a person who is weak in math get pushed thru school and allowed to become an engineer so that they can build bridges and cars will fall thru and end up in the water below?

My point is that if you belong to a culture and an area that values education you would have been tested and given accommodations and a chance to excel. This person is smart, she is very good at science and math and was in the Marines.
If you’re in a culture that doesn’t value these things they chalk it up to being dumb and you get left behind

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:45 pm
I grew up in a working class white neighborhood. When I was 14, several neighborhood girls my age had babies (one was part Native American). They kept the babies and their mothers raised them. I was friendly with the girl next door who got pregnant at 17 and her mother took the daughter and her boyfriend to the priest for a shotgun wedding. This girl later divorced and lost custody due to drugs.
My mother preached two things; virginity and college so that's what I did. She viewed the neighbors as not our type. Basically our culture stressed a more disciplined life.

amother
Silver

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:49 pm
princessleah wrote:
My point is that if you belong to a culture and an area that values education you would have been tested and given accommodations and a chance to excel. This person is smart, she is very good at science and math and was in the Marines.
If you’re in a culture that doesn’t value these things they chalk it up to being dumb and you get left behind

Exactly. Black culture doesn’t value education. It’s all very nice for schools to work hard and offer education. But if someone doesn’t value it or care they won’t succeed. Success in education starts at home. That’s a good place for them to start working on solutions. The Black community needs to figure this one out. White people cannot fix it for them.
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics