Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
True or False? Wall Air Conditioners below windows dont cool

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:25 am
True or False? Wall Air Conditioners installed below windows (on bottom half of room) dont cool as well?

Wall Air Conditioners installed in "sleeves" below windows (in lower half of room), dont cool as well as Air Conditioners installed in windows, because most air conditioners are made to blow the cold air straight ahead, and cold air that blows from air conditioner installed in lower half of room, is wasted on lower part of room, especially because heat rises and cold goes downwards?

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:30 am
We have two in the wall. They work as well as any in the window a/c I have ever had. It's probably hotter on the ceiling, but we don't live near the ceiling, so that works out well.

mamma llama

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:32 am
This is so interesting. I always assumed an air conditioner is an air conditioner and they all work the same.

Where does central a/c fit into this?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:42 am
mamma llama wrote:
This is so interesting. I always assumed an air conditioner is an air conditioner and they all work the same.

Where does central a/c fit into this?

Central either has some vents in a room at the bottom of the wall and some vents at the top of the wall, or in some apartments Ive seen all the vents on the ceiling.

The wall sleeves for wall air conditioners that are put on the bottom third of a room, blow cold air forward on the bottom third of the room.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 1:47 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The wall sleeves for wall air conditioners that are put on the bottom third of a room, blow cold air forward on the bottom third of the room.

But then, the air hits things and blows all over. And ours have adjustable vents, so you can point them up if you feel like it makes you life better. I feel like it makes mynlife better to not have my windows taken up with huge, ugly a/c units.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 2:14 am
lavenderchimes wrote:
But then, the air hits things and blows all over. And ours have adjustable vents, so you can point them up if you feel like it makes you life better. I feel like it makes mynlife better to not have my windows taken up with huge, ugly a/c units.

I agree that if I have a sleeve (on the bottom third of the room), I should use it.

Is yours a Friedrich? The person in the store told me Friedrich air conditioners (more than others) blow air in the up direction, if desired.

lavenderchimes

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 2:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I agree that if I have a sleeve (on the bottom third of the room), I should use it.

Is yours a Friedrich? The person in the store told me Friedrich air conditioners (more than others) blow air in the up direction, if desired.

The one that came wkth the apartment is a Friederich. I just got up to check, because I cannot sleep! It has vents at a 45 degree angle, so I can see why they would say thay it could blow upwards particularly well. Although I don't think it really makes a difference. It is huge and powerful - it can easily cool the dining room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooom to a comfortable temperature (if 78 is comfortable, lol, but it's a lot of space for one unit!)

The one my husband FINALLY installed in my bedroom is a GE. I have only used it once, but it was also amazing. I grew up witbout a/c, so it's all miraculous to me, lol!

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 4:21 am
False at least speaking fro personal experience. My childhood home in Brooklyn had units installed I tje wall under the window and they cooled perfectly. The issue is when the units aren’t powerful enough to cool the area especially for large areas without doors. In the summer my parents had clear plastic to seal of the portion of the hime that wasn’t being used that was without doors - the formal living room versus the den, kitchen and hallways. We also kept doors to bathroom shut to decrease the air that had to be cooled. Every bedroom had its own wall unit.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:14 am
I have a Fredrich in my dining room that was installed below the window, the room does get cool I just get annoyed that it blows more directly at us, vs the one in my room that is installed up top cools the room without making it uncomfortable.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:26 am
My mom has her wall units installed up above, close to the ceiling.

Last edited by ra_mom on Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

happy chick

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 7:29 am
100% true. Not to say it won't cool, but def not as efficiently.
I can tell you I have a window unit in the bottom half of the window in my kids room and my kid on the top of the bunk bed is hot. Cold air falls, it's a fact.

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 9:08 am
All I know is my feet are always cold at my parents' shabbos table.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:27 am
A ceiling fan is a wonderful device because it moves air around softly AND it forces the color air down and generally provides air circulation. It saves energy bills even if one has central air.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics