Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
We have Located the Stupidest Students in the US

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:57 am
College students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, have been throwing parties where they invite people infected with the coronavirus and gamble on who comes down with the illness first, city officials said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Heal.....id=sf

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 11:59 am
That's where Hannah Brown lives!!! Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
College students in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, have been throwing parties where they invite people infected with the coronavirus and gamble on who comes down with the illness first, city officials said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/Heal.....id=sf

Southern dumbos.
The college kids did that here in Brooklyn five months ago. Only a fool copy’s that

jerusalem90

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:10 pm
Researchers should go in and quietly observe them to learn about how the virus spreads. It would be unethical to purposely infect people with Corona, but if there are people whose own idea it was to infect themselves, might as well take advantage.

Success10

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:24 pm
Dunno... if basically everyone is gonna get it anyway, better to achieve herd-immunity through the young crowd?

RuralIma

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:29 pm
Success10 wrote:
Dunno... if basically everyone is gonna get it anyway, better to achieve herd-immunity through the young crowd?

If they're willing to bet on getting it, how likely do you think it is that they're going to take precautions to not spread it around wherever they go? It's not going to just stay in their circle of dimwitted friends.

banana123

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 12:31 pm
RuralIma wrote:
If they're willing to bet on getting it, how likely do you think it is that they're going to take precautions to not spread it around wherever they go? It's not going to just stay in their circle of dimwitted friends.

This

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 02 2020, 2:09 pm
Success10 wrote:

Yes, and never mind that they kill some unsuspecting vulnerable people in the process.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:01 am
jerusalem90 wrote:
Researchers should go in and quietly observe them to learn about how the virus spreads. It would be unethical to purposely infect people with Corona, but if there are people whose own idea it was to infect themselves, might as well take advantage.

Tuscaloosa has a pretty shady past when it comes to "health research". The optics would NOT be good.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 10:59 am
Success10 wrote:

The fatality rate for people in their 20s and 30s without underlying health conditions is about 0.1%.

University of Alabama has about 39,000 students. If herd immunity is 70%, that would mean you'd expect about 28 student deaths. Except I'd bet that a not insignificant number have conditions like asthma. So more.

Not something I advocate.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The fatality rate for people in their 20s and 30s without underlying health conditions is about 0.1%.

University of Alabama has about 39,000 students. If herd immunity is 70%, that would mean you'd expect about 28 student deaths. Except I'd bet that a not insignificant number have conditions like asthma. So more.

Not something I advocate.

According to CBS news, the kids are getting rough cases of it. I guess it's in numbers greater than would be expected.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:31 am
As someone whose husband does college kiruv, stories like this absolutely terrify me.
I'm am so worried about the fall semester starting and him being on campus and us having to host for Shabbos.
Universities can make all the rules and regulations they want for on campus, but they have absolutely no control over what the students do off campus. There will be many, many more stories like this in the Fall

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:54 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
As someone whose husband does college kiruv, stories like this absolutely terrify me.
I'm am so worried about the fall semester starting and him being on campus and us having to host for Shabbos.
Universities can make all the rules and regulations they want for on campus, but they have absolutely no control over what the students do off campus. There will be many, many more stories like this in the Fall

Are you part of an umbrella organization so they can make guidelines, or will give you someone to work with? It's painful that these kids might lose yet another semester of the experience you offer but restrictive guidelines too is a form of chinuch for them to think about.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:05 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Are you part of an umbrella organization so they can make guidelines, or will give you someone to work with? It's painful that these kids might lose yet another semester of the experience you offer but restrictive guidelines too is a form of chinuch for them to think about.

Yes, part of an umbrella organization
No, no guidelines yet.....which is very frustrating. It's like no one is talking about it. Some people seem to be hosting already (I'm assuming their students live close to them). But, for the most part, no one is saying anything about the Fall. There are tons of Zoom programs that have continued from the Spring semester. No info about the Fall though.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics