Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Grilled Hoisin-Marinated Butterflied Leg of Lamb

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:32 am
This is a superb way to to cook lamb if you enjoy Aisan type of flavors which I do. It's very simple to marinate and then throw on the grill which makes it a wonderful dish for the summer. You can toss burgers on the grill for children who might not appreciate the lamb and provide an elevated entree for those who will appreciate it.

I have made this a number of times because it's so simple and yields a result disproportionate to the effort to make. Which is far better than a potchke dish that is mediocre. LOL

I've included the recipe for the eggplant which makes a nice accompaniment but also is a nice eggplant side and can be done in the oven.

Grilled Hoisin-Marinated Butterflied Leg of Lamb

YIELDServes 4 to 6 with leftovers

INGREDIENTS

* 1/3 cup hoisin sauce - Joyce Chen makes a kosher version and there are probably other brands available
* 3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1/4 cup minced scallions
* 1 tablespoon honey
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* a 6 1/2- to 7 1/2-pound whole leg of lamb, trimmed, boned, and butterflied (4 1/2 to 5 1/2 pounds boneless)
* scallion brushes

PREPARATION

In a bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, minces scallion, honey, and salt.

Trim as much remaining fat as possible from lamb and in a shallow dish large enough to hold lamb flat spread marinade over both sides of it. Marinate lamb, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours or overnight.

Prepare grill

Bring lamb to room temperature and grill on an oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals 12 to 15 minutes on each side, or until meat thermometer registers 140°F. for medium-rate meat. (Alternatively, lamb may be broiled under preheated broiler about 4 inches from heat for approximately the same time on each side as for grilling.) Transfer lamb to a cutting board and let stand 20 minutes before carving.

Holding a sharp knife at a 45° angle, cut lamb across grain into thin slices. (If planning to make lamb salad, reserve one-third unsliced lamb, covered and chilled.)

To make scallion brushes:

Trim roots and green parts from scallions, leaving about 2 1/2-inch stalks. Make 1/2-inch lengthwise cuts at both ends of stalks and spread fringed ends gently. Put scallions in a bowl of ice and cold water and chill 2 hours, or until fringed ends have curled. Drain scallions well.

Garnish lamb with scallion brushes and serve with eggplant.

Broiled Eggplant with Garlic Sauce

YIELDServes 8

INGREDIENTS

* 2 pounds small eggplants (about 12), halved lengthwise
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 tablespoon soy sauce
* 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
* 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil (Asian)
* vegetable oil for brushing eggplants

PREPARATION

Score cut sides of eggplant in a cross-hatch pattern and sprinkle with salt. Let eggplant stand 30 minutes. Rinse eggplant and pat dry.

Preheat broiler.

In a small bowl whisk together garlic, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil.

Arrange eggplant, cut sides down, on oiled baking sheets and brush skins lightly with vegetable oil. Broil eggplant 3 to 4 inches from heat until skins are softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn eggplant and brush lightly with more vegetable oil. Broil eggplant 3 to 4 minutes, or until flesh is golden. Transfer eggplant with a slotted spatula to a platter and brush with garlic sauce.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 11:49 am
I've never seen leg of lamb in any kosher market around here, unfortunately.

Amarante

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 12:25 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I've never seen leg of lamb in any kosher market around here, unfortunately.

You could sub lamb tenderloin which is a boneless cut of lamb and adjust cooking time accordingly. It's really the marinade that makes this a great lamb preparation.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics