Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
You don't die from hunger, you die from embarrassment.

silverlining3

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 8:02 pm
Said a man who knocked today at my door for tzeddaka.

So after my husband gave him tzeddaka, the man asked if we have a slice of Kugel for him?! (Perhaps the smell of fresh Kugel out of the oven tickled his nostrils.) When my husband welcomed him in, adding, I'm glad you asked for it, (to my utter shock, never experienced before and to my husbands delight, for the chessed opportunity) the man replied: A beggar-poor man doesn't die from hunger, he dies from embarrassment.

I liked the word and thought you can apply it to actually anything in life.
You feel dead from embarrassment to let things out of your heart, speak up, seek for help etc.

Have a wonderful Shabbas ya'all.

Rappel

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 3:06 pm
Thank you for sharing.

ShishKabob

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:41 pm
Please don't do this.
This was said by one of the Rothchilds. It was his motto.
What do you know? He ended up dying from hunger because he got locked into his safe with all his money for days and no one knew he was there and he wrote on the wall with his blood that he died from hunger.

malki2

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:45 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Please don't do this.
What do you know? He ended up dying from hunger because he got locked into his safe with all his money for days and no one knew he was there and he wrote on the wall with his blood that he died from hunger.

Huh?

silverlining3

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 11:50 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Please don't do this.

Referred to poor man being embarrassed to ask for food.
Ps this man that said in name of one of the tzaddikim. I think the zanzer, not sure.

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:01 am
There were definitely people that died from hunger, maybe not in 2020.
It's a good vort, but I don't think the Sanzer said it. It's a famous story from one of the Rothchilds.

malki2

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:26 am
ShishKabob wrote:
There were definitely people that died from hunger, maybe not in 2020.
It's a good vort, but I don't think the Sanzer said it. It's a famous story from one of the Rothchilds.

The quote has nothing to do with the Rothschild story or the Rothschilds. It’s a famous quote, and it’s true.

ShishKabob

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:27 am
malki2 wrote:
The quote has nothing to do with the Rothschild story or the Rothschilds. It’s a famous quote, and it’s true.
so if you know the source please share it. I would appreciate it.

Learning

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:44 am
Actually it’s the opposite. You die from hunger not from embarrassment. You can say I rather be hungry than embarrassed and it will be true for most or all people

malki2

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:45 am
ShishKabob wrote:
so if you know the source please share it. I would appreciate it.

Well I just googled it and Imamother came up, so I guess the source is Imamother...

The Rothschild story was about one of the Rothschilds who said that he was so wealthy that it would have been impossible for him to ever die of hunger. Then one day he locked himself in his safe and died of hunger.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:57 am
Learning wrote:
Actually it’s the opposite. You die from hunger not from embarrassment. You can say I rather be hungry than embarrassed and it will be true for most or all people

Having walked that road, I'm going to say that I would absolutely have have preferred to die, sooner than ask for help, when I was so needy. It is extremely difficult to ask for something as basic as food when you have nothing you can give back. It eats at your very humanity.

But that beggar's words are true: at the end of the day, I would have died, were it not for very specific circumstances. And because I'm alive, many good things have happened.

Sometimes, you need to swallow your pride and ask for help. If not for you, then for everyone you need to help in the future.

That's all.

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 11:43 am
In a certain town in Europe, a wealthy man suddenly died. When they checked into the circumstances, they found out that the man had lost his money and died of hunger. The gabbaei tzedaka were devastated and came to the rov of the town to express their guilt feelings. The rov told them, "You are not at fault. This man didn't die of hunger; he died of embarrassment."

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:32 am
ShishKabob wrote:
Please don't do this.

Baloney. It's a tale made up to scare children into eating their gruel--or by a malicious jealous person who wished this would happen. Think logically for a moment. Even if he had gotten locked in his safe, he'd have died of suffocation long before he even started to feel hungry. And writing on the wall in his blood? Scene from a bad movie. Where was the blood from? Did he just happen to have a knife in the safe to cut himself with? Puh-leeze.

It's a folktale, iow a myth, documented in the book Folktales of the Jews, and is about as factual as Grimm's fairytales.

Last edited by zaq on Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

imasinger

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:35 am
What zaq said.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette