Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
ISO best mask for hot weather
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 6:34 pm
Six Flags (NJ) opened today & I took my girls. They are being extremely makpid about everyone wearing masks (not looking to discuss if this is necessary or not). It was over 90 degrees & I found that the mask made the heat seem so much worse! I felt like I was going to faint. (I was hot there last year but it was never this bad, that’s why I’m blaming the mask.)😷🥵🔥

Has anyone found a mask that isn’t (as) uncomfortable in the heat & is easier to breathe through?

Thanks all!

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 6:36 pm
I'd rather just not go then wear a mask outside in the 90s. That's crazy. I don't think any mask is made to be comfortable under those circumstances.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 03 2020, 6:49 pm
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I'd rather just not go then wear a mask outside in the 90s. That's crazy. I don't think any mask is made to be comfortable under those circumstances.

I hear you, and if we don’t find a good solution, we probably will go less. But for now, I’m looking for a solution that makes it easier to go.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jul 04 2020, 9:58 pm
Bumping for motzai Shabbos.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:21 am
I think the paper surgical ones are still better than the cloth ones. None of them are super comfy in the heat.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 1:38 am
Mama Bear wrote:
I think the paper surgical ones are still better than the cloth ones. None of them are super comfy in the heat.

Thanks! We wore paper this time.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 9:04 am
Mama Bear wrote:

Are they really paper? I shvitz so much in them, I would have thought they'd have dissolved already. (Yes, I reuse them.)

Eisheschayil123

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 10:00 am
I felt the same way the other day when I wore a surgical mask. I get a headache after wearing for a while. I would love a good solutions.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 11:22 am
I've just been reading that silk is the smoothest and most comfortable fabric to have against your skin during hot weather. But I dont know of anywhere selling silk masks.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 12:05 pm
Here's an out-of-the-box option. Maybe it's comfortable? Smile

https://news.yahoo.com/indian-......html

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 4:25 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
Here's an out-of-the-box option. Maybe it's comfortable? Smile

https://news.yahoo.com/indian-......html

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 4:26 pm
Elfrida wrote:
I've just been reading that silk is the smoothest and most comfortable fabric to have against your skin during hot weather. But I dont know of anywhere selling silk masks.

Interesting, I would have thought cotton, but silk makes sense. Maybe I can find some & make masks.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 4:50 pm
Maybe a silk cotton blend? I've got a beautiful piece of silk which was a present, and I keep meaning to turn it into a skirt. I don't want to waste it on masks, but maybe if I did make the skirt I would have enough left over for a matching mask. Could look very fashionable!

Teomima

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 5:09 pm
Just keep in mind the masks are not about comfort, they're about effectiveness, so you can't just take any random material and make a safe mask.

Surgical masks are the lightest ones. Here in Jerusalem summers it's very often over 90 degrees and though I usually wear my tight weave layered cotton masks, when I need to walk around a lot outdoors I wear surgical masks.

(amother pumpkin, PLEASE don't reuse them! Really, that just defeats the whole purpose. Your mask should be treated like your underwear: if they're the disposable kind, then that's single use only. If they're cotton, then you wash them every day, when they get wet, and when they get dirty.)

Surgical masks are not made of paper. They are triple ply nonwoven fabric specially designed to filter out particles. They are about the lightest mask you can get that still offers a decent amount of protection.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 5:35 pm
In such a situation, make sure your skin is clear of all creams and makeup, and bring extra surgical masks so that you can remove the wet ones.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 5:48 pm
Well, here is one study of fabrics which recommends cotton and two layers of polyester-based chiffon,
Quote:
The researchers point out that tightly woven fabrics, such as cotton, can act as a mechanical barrier to particles, whereas fabrics that hold a static charge, like certain types of chiffon and natural silk, can serve as an electrostatic barrier.

Another study seems to favor silk.

penguin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 6:06 pm
I'm trying to find silk fabric and most of them are "silk like" including one whose tag proudly reads "SILK FEEL POLYESTER" (would love to link to it but can't find it now).

ETA: I thought I found it! These are really pretty but now I don't see the review where they showed the tag. Also not silk so not sure I would use for face mask anyhow...

I am sure our dear Frantic Frumie has a source for silk as I know she used to make hand-painted silk scarves. FF, maybe you can start making masks if you are up to it? I would definitely buy a few!

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 6:14 pm
Many years ago I was in a dress shop. A woman was trying on various items looking for the coolest possible to wear in hot weather. Shorter sleeves? No sleeves? Thinner fabric? She tried every possibility.

Finally the sales lady told her, "Dahlink, in dis vedder, even you go nekkid you going to be hot!"

So while I sympathize with OP's desire to entertain her children, I have to say that it's pretty challening to tolerate 90 degrees in tzniusdik clothing (though I am not sure how great anyone feels even in shorts, tank top and flip flops). But if I have to wear a mask too, thanks, but no thanks. I am staying home in my nice air conditioned house!

Elfrida

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 8:10 pm
Teomima wrote:
Just keep in mind the masks are not about comfort, they're about effectiveness, so you can't just take any random material and make a safe mask.

Surgical masks are the lightest ones. Here in Jerusalem summers it's very often over 90 degrees and though I usually wear my tight weave layered cotton masks, when I need to walk around a lot outdoors I wear surgical masks

To be honest, my main motivation for wearing a mask is that the government demands it, rather than protection.

I once heard someone talking about different kinds of mipachot to a new kallah, and explaining that, "Comfort is essential for enjoyment of this mitzvah." I'm feeling pretty much the same way about masks. For me to wear any mask consistently it has to be as comfortable and as non-irritating as possible.

The government only requires a single layer fabric mask. If I can find a single layer silk mask non-chafing, relatively cool and comfortable, that is the mask I will wear. And it will give a lot more protection than the surgical mask that I am constantly slipping down or removing because it is so uncomfortable.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 8:33 pm
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Many years ago I was in a dress shop. A woman was trying on various items looking for the coolest possible to wear in hot weather. Shorter sleeves? No sleeves? Thinner fabric? She tried every possibility.

Finally the sales lady told her, "Dahlink, in dis vedder, even you go nekkid you going to be hot!"

So while I sympathize with OP's desire to entertain her children, I have to say that it's pretty challening to tolerate 90 degrees in tzniusdik clothing (though I am not sure how great anyone feels even in shorts, tank top and flip flops). But if I have to wear a mask too, thanks, but no thanks. I am staying home in my nice air conditioned house!

Haha, I've always said that. When ppl debate hot vs. cold I always say you can add more layers, but when it's hot, even if you walked around with literally nothing, you'd still be hot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics