Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Will Seminary’s in Israel open?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 9:29 pm
Just wondering with second wave in Israel, do u think seminary’s will open?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 11:03 pm
Have the same question but I don't think anyone knows.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 12:29 am
They're working on it. Obviously no one knows what the future holds, but the Jewish Agency and Masa are doing their best to get things going.

Schools are already figuring out how they will isolate incoming students, and the better prepared ones are increasing mental health support services, on the theory that kids will have gone through some tough times.

Anything can happen. It's less than 2 months to rosh chodesh Elul, so the yeshivas are in high gear. Seminaries that start after the chagim have more time to work out details.

The other question is - if you don't send your daughter to seminary, what's she planning to do next year? Sit in her room and take Zoom classes?

And while it may be scary to worry about your child getting sick far away from home, it's not like the US has handled this outbreak so brilliantly.

happyone

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 12:59 am
I hope everyone is responsibly having a Plan B. There's too much uncertainty to assume anything at this point.

banana123

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:36 am
Really, as long as the seminary and yeshiva students properly isolate themselves when they arrive, they're not really a risk to the Israeli public.

They may need to do more Shabbatot in seminary instead of out with families, true, and that does impact the experience. But other than that and not hanging out in town, there's no reason why they can't come and study.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 1:50 am
rumor has it the sems will open after sukkos

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:22 am
They are working on isolating the girls into groups of 8 for the 14 days of quarantine.
Then slowly begin to integrate the groups.
Obviously more in Shabboses and changes in programming.
There will be much flexibility and creativity
I think it will end up being a very meaningful year for the girls

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:10 am
Insurance is going to be a HUGE issue.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:37 am
There are no student visas for single students right now... Unless someone has heard otherwise?

s c

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:56 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
rumor has it the sems will open after sukkos

My daughter's sem is quite adamant that they don't want to do that because everything is so uncertain anyway they can't know what will be then anyway and they are working with masa to get all the girls there as soon as possible in August as planned.

banana123

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:04 am
s c wrote:
My daughter's sem is quite adamant that they don't want to do that because everything is so uncertain anyway they can't know what will be then anyway and they are working with masa to get all the girls there as soon as possible in August as planned.

Good luck to them. Truly.

In August we might see flights from Cyprus and Greece. I don't think we'll be letting anyone else in at that point. Especially not given where Israel is at the moment.

But, if they can make it work, kudos.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:06 am
Rappel wrote:
There are no student visas for single students right now... Unless someone has heard otherwise?

Correct.
They are not allowing people with student visas UNLESS you have your own apartment here, are married AND have a institution willing to file for an ishur on your behalf.

Its not so simple.
I know people who fit all those criteria and still didn't get an ishur

This is all dependent on the government opening the borders

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:50 am
All those talking about Masa - I guess you didn't hear that Masa isn't giving grants to seminary students next year?

(And currently the only way for single students to get permits to enter the country is through Masa, so it's a complicated situation all around.)

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:51 am
Rappel wrote:

There are visas for single college and university students, if the institution requests the visa on behalf of the student. Right now, there are no visas for single yeshiva and seminary students.

ETA, Masa IS applying for visas for seminary and yeshiva students. Because they have a lot of clout, the expectation is that it will work out, but as of now, nothing is final

amother
Red

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:56 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
All those talking about Masa - I guess you didn't hear that Masa isn't giving grants to seminary students next year?

(And currently the only way for single students to get permits to enter the country is through Masa, so it's a complicated situation all around.)

1.Actually Masa is giving some grants it depends on the way the school is registered if you are eligible for a grant. Many seminaries are not but there are some that are still eligible.

2. Masa is still hoping to arrange Visa for all students even those not eligible for grants pending government rules and seminaries abilities to set things up correctly but won't know till much closer to the start of seminary if that's possible.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:00 am
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:

Just to clarify - even though Masa has massively cut grants, so that almost no yeshiva or seminary students are eligible, that doesn't affect their willingness to apply for student visas on behalf of those students.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:02 am
Many schools are working with MASA and with misrad habriut.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:24 am
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
There are visas for single college and university students, if the institution requests the visa on behalf of the student. Right now, there are no visas for single yeshiva and seminary students.

ETA, Masa IS applying for visas for seminary and yeshiva students. Because they have a lot of clout, the expectation is that it will work out, but as of now, nothing is final

Really??? My daughter didn't get a visa even though her college applied. (and she has her own place to live) Makes me really angry that she is missing out on her education when they are letting other people in just to visit family. (including non isrealis)

This is not a way to encourage people from Chul to study in Israel, if their student visa can be cancelled mid year.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:32 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
Really??? My daughter didn't get a visa even though her college applied. (and she has her own place to live) Makes me really angry that she is missing out on her education when they are letting other people in just to visit family. (including non isrealis)

This is not a way to encourage people from Chul to study in Israel, if their student visa can be cancelled mid year.

Wait -- who is being let in just to visit family???

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:41 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

Pardon my ignorance, I'm really scratching my head here. Can someone please clarify if Seminary that critical that its begs for hell & high water tactics to be implemented? If its the education aspect that everyone is worried about, can't they find a way to impart those lessons here in the US? If it not the educational aspect of it, then what is it?

Asking seriously.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics