Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Crying baby at playgroup

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:53 am
I just started sending my baby to playgroup. She is crying from when I drop her off till I pick her up. Is this normal? Shes 2

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:55 am
Is this her first time being away from you (with strangers) for a long period of time? If so, then it’s to be expected. How many days has this been going on for?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:57 am
For how long?

It's normal for a child to cry in the beginning, and then adjust.

What are the daycamp staff doing to help her make that transition?

I ran a daycamp as a teen. I sometimes had a child who cried for a bit. I found it was helpful for parents to drop off their child and leave asap. The parents who lingered longer, ostensibly to help their child adjust, usually made it worse.

I always hired a few counselors to help, and I made myself available to help those kids who needed a bit more attention transitioning. Sitting down with them with some toys, reading them something, etc..to help them forget their tears usually did the trick.

My nephew cheerfully told me that he cried by the new Morah last week....perfectly normal.

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 11:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just started sending my baby to playgroup. She is crying from when I drop her off till I pick her up. Is this normal? Shes 2

It's normal to cry in the beginning. Are you sure she cries all day? Most kids cry at drop off abdcalm down afew minutes later. Some kids also cry at pickup when they see their parent. Send along a comfort item from home like a blanket, pacifier, stuffed animal or toy she likes.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 11:38 am
Chayalle wrote:
For how long?

It's normal for a child to cry in the beginning, and then adjust.

What are the daycamp staff doing to help her make that transition?

I ran a daycamp as a teen. I sometimes had a child who cried for a bit. I found it was helpful for parents to drop off their child and leave asap. The parents who lingered longer, ostensibly to help their child adjust, usually made it worse.

I always hired a few counselors to help, and I made myself available to help those kids who needed a bit more attention transitioning. Sitting down with them with some toys, reading them something, etc..to help them forget their tears usually did the trick.

My nephew cheerfully told me that he cried by the new Morah last week....perfectly normal.

Shes going for 3 days. And cries all day. The morah is telling me that shes crying all day and cant calm her down. Im just wondering if I maybe sent her to the wrong place..

yidisheh mama

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 12:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Shes going for 3 days. And cries all day. The morah is telling me that shes crying all day and cant calm her down. Im just wondering if I maybe sent her to the wrong place..

Some kids are like that when they go to playgroup for the first time. Talk to your daughter before leaving in the morning. Explain to her that she's going to her morah to play with friends and you will come get her at the end of the day. It may be helpful to find out the schedule from her teacher so you can go through each part of the day with your daughter and tell her after what part of the day you will come get her. Do not stay around for more than 30 seconds when you drop her off, and give it a full week or two and then see how she's doing.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 3:43 pm
I have a playgroup! I had a child who screamed(not cried!) for 2 weeks straight at the beg of the yr and a little bit later in the year used to cry in front of the door of his house that he wanted to go to morah!
If she's crying all day, you you can't assume you sent her to the wrong place she didn't get a chance to try any of the activities or toys yet!
Don't show her the you're worried, kids pick up on that!
Would a bribe help? A nosh if she stops crying?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 4:53 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I have a playgroup! I had a child who screamed(not cried!) for 2 weeks straight at the beg of the yr and a little bit later in the year used to cry in front of the door of his house that he wanted to go to morah!
If she's crying all day, you you can't assume you sent her to the wrong place she didn't get a chance to try any of the activities or toys yet!
Don't show her the you're worried, kids pick up on that!
Would a bribe help? A nosh if she stops crying?

The playgroup called me up to come pick her up. I didnt want to give up but seems like they did. So im not sure if its my kid or the playgroup

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The playgroup called me up to come pick her up. I didnt want to give up but seems like they did. So im not sure if its my kid or the playgroup

Are you nervous or hysterical about it and she might be picking up on it? Do you make a big deal when you drop her off? Does she have her blanket/paci with her?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:09 pm
Blessing1 wrote:
Are you nervous or hysterical about it and she might be picking up on it? Do you make a big deal when you drop her off? Does she have her blanket/paci with her?

No I am very positive about it. And she talks about playgroup very proudly before we leave the house

sunflower_seed

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:43 pm
2 is still little.
Did she have time to adjust?
Like bringing her in for 1 hour, stay there a bit, next day a bit longer? Where I live when kids start kindergarten we first accompany them and then retreat ourselves more and more. We try separation on day 4 and if it goes well (meaning the child stops crying after 5-10 minutes because there is another adult she feels dafe with). If it doesn't work we repeat the "first" 3 days again.
Basically a child that feels safe will calm down also with another adult.
Crying for hours is not a good sign.
Can you take is slower or are you pressured for time?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:22 pm
sunflower_seed wrote:
2 is still little.
Did she have time to adjust?
Like bringing her in for 1 hour, stay there a bit, next day a bit longer? Where I live when kids start kindergarten we first accompany them and then retreat ourselves more and more. We try separation on day 4 and if it goes well (meaning the child stops crying after 5-10 minutes because there is another adult she feels dafe with). If it doesn't work we repeat the "first" 3 days again.
Basically a child that feels safe will calm down also with another adult.
Crying for hours is not a good sign.
Can you take is slower or are you pressured for time?

Could u be alil more detailed? Should I stay there for an hr and leave? Or take her with me?

sunflower_seed

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:42 pm
During the first 3 days you don't leave but remain passive so the actual caregiver can take over. On the 4th day you attempt to leave. She will likely start to cry, but the caregiver should be able to calm her down.
You can read more on here https://www.le-jardin.eu/en/ab.....sery/

behappy2

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:54 pm
I have stayed plenty with kids until I felt that they felt secure. I BH had the time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:15 pm
sunflower_seed wrote:
During the first 3 days you don't leave but remain passive so the actual caregiver can take over. On the 4th day you attempt to leave. She will likely start to cry, but the caregiver should be able to calm her down.

For how long should I stay?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:25 pm
sunflower_seed wrote:

None of my kids (amazing!) playgroup Morahs would let a mother stay for an hour.

My4Jewels

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:13 pm
I run a playgroup and I don’t think You should stay. I think the day should be shortened. I would not allow a child and I have 2’s too, to cry the entire time. That’s horrible and for the poor child Sad are the morah’s holding her? Do they try to distract her with bubbles? Books? Music? Is she really just screaming the whole time? Cause I would not let that happen for more than an hour at a time. Then the mom would come pick up . We would gradually increase the time the child stays.

I would find out what they do while she is crying

Good luck!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics