Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Would love to hear your thoughts...

giselle

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:23 pm
I completely understand that people need a break from being home with their kids the past few months. Like maybe a reeeeaaallllyyy long break preferably on some exotic island while being served endless amounts of cocktails. But what I have a hard time understanding is people who let their kids know just how excited they are about getting them out of the house. I just saw a picture on Instagram of a mother holding a sign about finally having freedom, with her kids standing right there. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. Am I completely overthinking this?

Blessing1

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:26 pm
giselle wrote:
I completely understand that people need a break from being home with their kids the past few months. Like maybe a reeeeaaallllyyy long break preferably on some exotic island while being served endless amounts of cocktails. But what I have a hard time understanding is people who let their kids know just how excited they are about getting them out of the house. I just saw a picture on Instagram of a mother holding a sign about finally having freedom, with her kids standing right there. It just really rubbed me the wrong way. Am I completely overthinking this?

You are right, I also can't stand it. I keep telling my kids how much I miss having them home and me and the baby miss their company.

Mommyg8

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:32 pm
I totally agree with you. I have not seen the instagram posts you are referring to, but these kind of comments and attitude always rubs me the wrong way.

Even if you are (secretly) counting down the seconds till they are gone, please don't say it out loud and definitely not in front of the kids!!!! (Can't even imagine how these kids must feel).

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 2:36 pm
OP, you are 100% right.

Even if the mom says "The kids know I was just joking", it is not OK. Kids pick up more than we give them credit for.

DD once told me "Just joking hurts, and it's not funny." (not about me, but about a bully at school)

silverlining3

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 3:43 pm
Can't fathom it.

I was super super excited and couldn't wait for the day my kids to start going out once again. But in no way did I ever mention it to them or to anyone over the phone in kids presence.. Kids don't deserve to feel unwanted!

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 3:47 pm
My kids know all about how the first day all of them were in school full day I just about emptied my bedroom and finally caught up on organizing.
But my pre 1A kid did not get the message, boy am I glad you're not home so I can finally breathe/get something done.

Maybe parents can let the kids know, I'm so happy for you to have all this time with your friends. And if they ask if the parents are going to enjoy themselves they can say, how sweet of you, I hope to put the time to good use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics