Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim ideas (I know its a bit early)
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:22 am
Quote:
any idea for shalach manos for a fireman?
I'm ordering fireman hats for children and putting the stuff in it.
I saw chocolate molds for hat, pump, ladder, fire truck.
what else could I put in?? I was thinking a bottle of water, but I need more stuff.
thanks

last year my kids were firemen and my baby was the fire dog. I gave out red hots, barbeque chips, fire balls, bottle of water, cookies in the shape of fire engines and chocolate lollies in the shape of fire hydrants (I used red chocolate) and chocolate fire dog lollies (white chocolate and then used black writing to make black spots) and chocolate fire hats (red chocolate) I gave it out in a cellophane bag that had firetrucks on it.
it was really cute, and somebody from imamother gave me a great saying to go with it.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:22 am
madys wrote:
Every year, I make about 50 + shaloch manos, and we also do through our shul's sisterhood (you contribute $, and get one big basket, and it's like you gave to everyone on the list) - bottom line, it costs a lot of money, and who needs more junk????

So, this year, I was thinking about getting cards, saying that a donation was made to tzedaka, and attach a candy, instead.

You still have to give 2 for the mitvah. the others can be recycled.

You can say that you were marbeh in matanos levyonim, as it says in shulchan aruch, instead of beingmarbe in mishloach manos.

madys wrote:
we also do through our shul's sisterhood (you contribute $, and get one big basket, and it's like you gave to everyone on the list)

that's actually not being mekayim the mitzvah of mishloach manos, you know.

AGINY

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:26 am
I learned in school that to be mehudar in Michloach Manos it is best to give a Ma'achal and a Mishteh to a Cohen, and Levi and a Yisroel. B"H my family includes all three with the different brothers-in-law so that is easy!

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:40 am
AGINY wrote:
I learned in school that to be mehudar in Michloach Manos it is best to give a Ma'achal and a Mishteh to a Cohen, and Levi and a Yisroel. B"H my family includes all three with the different brothers-in-law so that is easy!

Might just be Minhag. The Halachic minimum is just 2 people.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:42 am
cm, if you give money to the shul, they deliver to people in the shul for you. the donations are for people you want to give to but don't want to pack up food for. the mitzva is still done properly.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:44 am
mummiedearest wrote:
cm, if you give money to the shul, they deliver to people in the shul for you. the donations are for people you want to give to but don't want to pack up food for. the mitzva is still done properly.

But each package is frm moe than one person, isn't it?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:44 am
mummiedearest wrote:

I was taught that Mishloach Manot is something you must personally do and cannot use a Shaliach for, even if it is done in your name.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 10:46 am
I was taught that you should do one with a shaliach!

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:17 am
Ok, I mis-remembered, but I've found this:

Quote:
The Aruch HaShulchan also makes an interesting distinction, however. On the one hand, he writes that if one designates a shaliach before Purim to deliver mishloach manot on Purim, one fulfills the mitzvah. On the other hand, if one sends mishloach manot before Purim to someone in a far away place, so that it arrives on Purim, one does not fulfill the mitzvah. What accounts for this difference? After all, in both instances, one performed one's own action before Purim, and the mishloach manot were received on Purim. In the case of the shaliach, the Aruch HaShulchan explains, it is as if one has performed the mitzvah on Purim itself, because of the princple that a shaliach is like the principal himself. In the case where one simply sends the mishloach manot before Purim in order that they should arrive on Purim, however, the Aruch HaShulchan asks, "what happiness does what he sent earlier bring him now?" As in my English translation, the original Hebrew is slightly ambiguous as to whether the "him" refers to the recipient or the sender - but the better reading appears to be that it is referring to the sender himself.

In that case, the Aruch HaShulchan holds that the purpose of the mitzvah of mishloach manot is not just for the sender to show love toward his fellow Jew, but for the sender himself to feel that happiness, love, and fraternity on Purim - such that if he sends the mishloach manot before Purim, he cannot fulfill the mitzvah, because when he performs his act of sending it is not Purim and he therefore cannot feel the sensation of simchat Purim. Indeed, a close reading of the Bach mentioned above suggests the same, for he writes not that the purpose of the mitzvah is to show one's love for the others, but actually to instill that love among him and his fellow Jews ("d'ta'am mishloach manot hu k'dei she-y'hay sameach v'sas im ohavav v'reyav u'le-hashkin beineihem ahavah v'achava v'reiut").

I also found this link: http://dailyhalacha.com/Displa.....D=512

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:24 am
this is getting to be too serious.

who thinks I should dress up as santa claus this purim? I can give out stockings with rock candy. and maybe some coca cola Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

small bean

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 11:34 am
Last year I was mustard my hub was ketchup and my daughter was a hot dog - we made the ketchup and mustard costumes and I bought the hot dog.

for mishloach manos - I gave in a brown paper bag - deli rolls, franks n blanks and potato knishes in the white stirefoam things you get when you buy takeout... I put in ketchup and mustard packets. pickles and a coke.
I made the food purim morning so it was hot and fresh.

im not saying what im doing this year cuz I have siblings on here and I dont want them to know.

madys

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 12:26 pm
CM - the reason we do through the shul, is to save time and money - it's a bit complicated -

You give $54, and you pick up a big package that you then have to deliver to someone they assigned to you, then someone else delivers one to you - and you get a list of everyone that contributed, and it's as if you gave to all of them, and don't have to give them a separate shaloch manos - Usually about 75 families are on the list, so then I don't have to make as many packages.

So, according to halacha, I then only need to deliver 1 more, but I end up making 50 +, for friends in my community that go to a different shul, and also friends of my kids.

That's why I was thinking of the tzedakah approach - I'm just not sure logistically if it will work. I don't want to come across as being lazy and cheap.

BLUEROSE

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 1:21 pm
Sleepless- I was wondering what a safety theme is?

mamacita

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:31 pm
There is a cartoon character called Magilla Gorilla, which is perfect for a banana theme. Smile

Last year I really wanted to carry a plastic tub filled with dishes that would be chained to me since I was pregnant, all I'd need would be slippers (barefeet aren't tzanua, hehe). DH thought it would be hysterical. Alas, I went the boring route.

imokay

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:42 pm
Quote:
I want to do something with a stars theme for shalach manos. I saw star cupcake tins - I can get star candies. I want to say something about mazal dagim and stars and ....

Someone help, please....

I dont know if this is in line with what your looking for, and I only had a couple on minutes b.4 picking my kids up from school, but here is my offering:

Luck is so important,
Mazal, that's the key.
It determines what does come your way,
And shapes your destiny.

Mazal Adar Dagim,
This is purim's sign.
We hope for success and happiness,
We hope the stars align.

Purim is truly a meaningful day,
It's not just stam for fressing.
So wish upon a lucky star,
For a year filled with much blessing.
Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:42 pm
that's verynice !!!!!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:44 pm
hi I got a reallt cute lady bug costume for my 8 month old any ideas for what me and my husband can dress up like and what put in shaloch manos

wif

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:45 pm
Mimisinger wrote:
Every year I want to do a foot theme - Give out jam (toe jam), cheese (toe cheese), corn (corns on the feet) and put it all into a sock. But I don't know if people will get it...

I mean this completely sincerely....

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!! Please refrain! They will either A. not get it or B. lose their appetite until Pesach! Which, on second thought, might not be a bad thing...hey, wanna send one over to me? Wink

funny50

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 2:54 pm
"last year my kids were firemen and my baby was the fire dog. I gave out red hots, barbeque chips, fire balls, bottle of water, cookies in the shape of fire engines and chocolate lollies in the shape of fire hydrants (I used red chocolate) and chocolate fire dog lollies (white chocolate and then used black writing to make black spots) and chocolate fire hats (red chocolate) I gave it out in a cellophane bag that had firetrucks on it. "

where did you get the cellophane bags with firetrucks? what size were they?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jan 10 2008, 3:01 pm
imokay - you're not just OKAY, you're Awesome. Thank you. Thank you. Very Happy
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics