Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help crafting a nice no

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:17 pm
I am a director of a small part time program (this is actually a second job for me) for many years now. I am looking to hire and one man and wife keep sending their resumes (I declined the husband last year as well). They are both wildly inappropriate for the job as well as liabilities for the program. The husband actually physically assaulted a child of my boss a year ago (he knows who my boss is - it shows a total lack of seichel that he even applied!). The wife has a loose tongue on social media. They both have much difficulty keeping jobs and when they get fired, which happens frequently, both badmouth the job online - fb, whatsapp, community groups, you name it. They also frequently post on social media that they are unable to work due to health reasons and are frequently not going into work for that reason. The husband has some chronic issues and the wife is always taking off to help him, etc. And she posts these things all day. To make the situation more tricky, we have a very long family history.

On paper, they both seem like appropriate candidates to somebody who has no idea who they are. Simply telling them that they are not qualified for the position will not suffice due to the work experience. They will not provide professional references because they do not have positive ones to provide. Their other professional references are all at least a decade old.

I need a way to decline nicely. A one or two liner. I cannot simply say that I have other candidates who are more suitable for the position or who are a better match because right now I have no other candidates.

Help please!

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:19 pm
Can you phone interview them and say it is not a good fit?

amother
Cerise

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:21 pm
Keep it vague. Don’t mention the medical part because likely it’s protected under ADA or something.

“Thank you for your application. It doesn’t seem like you would be a good fit at x company. Hatzlacha”.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:21 pm
Thank you for taking the time to apply to our organization. Unfortunately we’ve decided not to move ahead with your candidacy at this time.

Best of luck on your search,
Name

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:25 pm
You don't need to give a reason. Just say thank you for your interest, but we are not moving forward with your application.

Plenty of employers don't respond to every applicant. I'm not a fan of this practice, but just ignoring them would not be unusual.

If you must respond and give a reason:
They do not have recent references.
They are not a good fit for the organization.

You can decide if you want to point out to them what you told us (who knows - the wife may be an Ima), but you don't have to. "Not a good fit" covers a lot.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:31 pm
challahchallah wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to apply to our organization. Unfortunately we’ve decided not to move ahead with your candidacy at this time.

Best of luck on your search,
Name

Ooohhhhh I like this.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:35 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Keep it vague. Don’t mention the medical part because likely it’s protected under ADA or something.

“Thank you for your application. It doesn’t seem like you would be a good fit at x company. Hatzlacha”.

Thank you so much for your input. I would not mention the medical stuff, it’s just part of the package with them. I really wish somebody would tell her to stop posting about it though.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:41 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
You don't need to give a reason. Just say thank you for your interest, but we are not moving forward with your application.

Plenty of employers don't respond to every applicant. I'm not a fan of this practice, but just ignoring them would not be unusual.

If you must respond and give a reason:
They do not have recent references.
They are not a good fit for the organization.

You can decide if you want to point out to them what you told us (who knows - the wife may be an Ima), but you don't have to. "Not a good fit" covers a lot.

Thanks. I hate when employers ignore a resume. I cant do that.

So if the guy follows up, and I’m sure he will, what then? I’ve never had a situation like this before.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks. I hate when employers ignore a resume. I cant do that.

So if the guy follows up, and I’m sure he will, what then? I’ve never had a situation like this before.

I agree that it’s rude (albeit common) to ignore applications. Send a generic rejection without a reason (all reasons, even vague ones often make people think they have room to push back). If he follows up on your rejection, state that you’re unable to offer further feedback and wish him luck on his search again. If he follows up yet again, feel free to ignore without guilt and silently be happy that you’ve dodged a bullet by not hiring him.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:38 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I agree that it’s rude (albeit common) to ignore applications. Send a generic rejection without a reason (all reasons, even vague ones often make people think they have room to push back). If he follows up on your rejection, state that you’re unable to offer further feedback and wish him luck on his search again. If he follows up yet again, feel free to ignore without guilt and silently be happy that you’ve dodged a bullet by not hiring him.

Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:08 am
UPDATE - the husband just lied to me about the wife's employment history. I know she has had numerous jobs in the town we live in. I know where she worked and I know she quit the jobs. He lied. He must think I'm nuts and/or stupid.

lk1234

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:37 am
OP - I think you are making this into a bigger drama than it needs to be. Just say, thank you for the application however it is not a good fit for our company. I've been told that and while it hurts, I got over it. Why are you so worried about saying that?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:00 am
lk1234 wrote:
OP - I think you are making this into a bigger drama than it needs to be. Just say, thank you for the application however it is not a good fit for our company. I've been told that and while it hurts, I got over it. Why are you so worried about saying that?

I agree with you. I’m sure I am making too big a deal. Like I said in my OP, there is complicated family history here. They are related to one of my kids. And the guy is scary. And I cant believe he had the gaul to apply and then lie.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:04 am
You got good replies. But it seems like this is more of a personal issue for you than a professional.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:09 am
Simple1 wrote:
You got good replies. But it seems like this is more of a personal issue for you than a professional.

I got excellent replies. Very helpful and I am going to use one of them word for word actually in a day or two. And you are right, its also personal and I started to use this to vent! I’ll take it offline to vent to a friend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics