Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Recipes for covered chicken in pan

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:20 pm
My meat oven is waiting to be repaired. Anyone have recipes for chicken on the bone that can be made inside an oven, complete covered (so I can make it easily in my dairy oven)?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My meat oven is waiting to be repaired. Anyone have recipes for chicken on the bone that can be made inside an oven, complete covered (so I can make it easily in my dairy oven)?

Sure. On top of rice. Sorry that I don't have an exact recipe.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:28 pm
My oven is meaty and I always cover my chicken, we don't like it crispy. Any regular sauce or seasoning will do. No need to change the recipe just because it's being covered.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:28 pm
Put 1 1/2 cups rice and 3 cups water into a 9x13 deep pan. Mix with a little salt and pepper. Put chicken on the bone on top of the rice to fill up the pan. The chicken will be partially submerged in the water/rice. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika or whatever else you like on your chicken. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 3 hours. It's delicious!

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:34 pm
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmekncJnJPa/

This. Sorry I don't have it written out. It's really good. I actually made it tonight. I put everything together at once, stick in the oven and it's delicious. Use whatever vegetables you want.

If the link doesn't work I will type out if u want

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:35 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:
Put 1 1/2 cups rice and 3 cups water into a 9x13 deep pan. Mix with a little salt and pepper. Put chicken on the bone on top of the rice to fill up the pan. The chicken will be partially submerged in the water/rice. Sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika or whatever else you like on your chicken. Cover tightly. Bake at 350 for 3 hours. It's delicious!

Thank you!!!
And thank you previous posters as well!
Repair won't happen till next week I think. The rest of my week is one night a stovetop meal, one night bagels for after the fast, shabbos- mostly cooked I just need to defrost, and next week if I'm still in this pickle I will splurge on takeout.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:36 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:

This. Sorry I don't have it written out. It's really good. I actually made it tonight. I put everything together at once, stick in the oven and it's delicious. Use whatever vegetables you want.

Omg!!!! Thank you!!! This will be Wednesday dinner instead of frying on the stovetop!
Thank you so much for easing my burden during this stressful week ❤️

tigerwife

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 5:48 pm
My go-to is-
Cut an onion into rings and spread across the bottom of the pan.
Top with chicken. You can add chunks of potatoes and sweet potatoes to make this an all in one meal.
Sprinkle a spice blend of salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika over the chicken. Rub the spices beneath the skin.
Add a can of whole berry or jellied cranberry sauce.
Cover and bake on 350 for at least two hours.

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:05 pm
amother [ Tan ] wrote:

I know this is off topic just - I've done rice with the chicken before and we all loved the rice, but felt like the rice zapped out all the taste and juices from the chicken. How do you avoid this?

amother
Seafoam

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 6:39 pm
Chicken bottoms, onion soup mix sprinkled on with a can of drained green Israeli olives. I use a meat thermometer for timing. Elana kirschenbaum.

bsy

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:55 pm
you can also swap the rice for barley. Its delicious.

amother
Tan

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 8:44 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
I know this is off topic just - I've done rice with the chicken before and we all loved the rice, but felt like the rice zapped out all the taste and juices from the chicken. How do you avoid this?

Interesting, we never found that. I agree the rice is AMAZING because of all the taste it gets from the chicken, but I also find the chicken really good and soft and tasty. I just do spices.

esther7

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 2:47 am
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:

Season the rice before putting the chicken on top, with salt and onion powder/soup mix. Then add the chicken and season it. I like to lift up the skins of each piece and put a light sprinkle of spices directly on the chicken itself (uncover the skin of all of the pieces, and spice it all at once, you don't have to lift up each piece of skin individually)
Then fold the skins back over the chicken and season it again,over the skin

Tzippy323

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:14 am
This is a recipe that I make when I am tired. Take a box of potato latke m8x and make it according to the directions on the box. Allow it to get really thick. Stuff the mixture under the skin of each piece of chicken. Put the leftover mixture around the pieces in the pan. Make a mixture of olive oil, paprika, black pepper, onion powder and garlic powder. Shmear it on each piece of chicken. Double foil tightly, and bake.

heidi

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:39 am
amother [ Black ] wrote:

I can only see the picture. Would love the recipe if you could please

banana123

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 4:06 am
You can make chicken on the stove. Put it in a deep pan, on low (until the fat melts). Put whatever spices you want on it. Make sure the pan you use has a lid (ours does) and cover it. Let it cook in its own steam and then flip it at some point so that it can cook on the other side. When it has some fat serving as oil you can turn it up to medium. It'll take an hour or two but it comes out really yummy, IMO better than oven-cooked chicken, which is often too dry.

You can also add rice to the bottom (with some water, of course) and put the chicken on top of it to cook.

If you want to use your dairy oven just do what you would normally do, but double-wrap. It will take longer but it should cook the same way.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen