Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Clonidine for emotional dysregulation...pls share experience

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 7:39 pm
The psychiatrist just started 12 yo dc on clonidine for frequent severe and intense anger outbursts, emotional dysregulation...

anyone have experience with this? side effects? was it effective?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 9:38 pm
My son took it when he was 3 yrs old and it made him super exhausted and even depressed. It lowers their blood pressure so it makes them tired & dizzy and low key. are you giving it to him at night or in the morning? You literally need to sleep right afterwards. We stopped it after 3 weeks bc it was just not working for him. He started taking a bunch of other things instead, it's still a 'dance' to figure out.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 11:10 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My son took it when he was 3 yrs old and it made him super exhausted and even depressed. It lowers their blood pressure so it makes them tired & dizzy and low key. are you giving it to him at night or in the morning? You literally need to sleep right afterwards. We stopped it after 3 weeks bc it was just not working for him. He started taking a bunch of other things instead, it's still a 'dance' to figure out.

we are actually using the patch which delivers ongoing steady amount. we are 2 days in and so far don't see effect, positive or negative.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:36 am
my son took this in addition to other meds. I do think it took the edge off his behavior. it's not a night and day miracle drug thing for us. just a little edge off. he was on it already for many years. (started younger than your son, still on it at older than your son) you just have to make sure to stay hydrated since it is a blood pressure medicine. takes it morning and night, higher does at night bec it can make him sleepy. but I don't believe my son had any real side effects from it.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:33 am
Ds took it when he was younger- we also did the patch. He started going down stairs by siting instead of regular walking. He also didn't smile the entire time he was on it. You say your ds doesn't have these issues so far, which is good.

Blood pressure monitoring is essential on this. I assume you are having that done. I belive ds also had to have a cardiologist screening before starting it.

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:06 pm
Okay, the patch is better than the pill bc at least it's a constant dose.
if it's not making him depressed then that's good.
if it's not doing anything for him maybe he needs ahigher dose.
Keep an eye on him being lethargic or depressed.

cuties' mom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 6:06 pm
We did the pill for a week when ds was 7. It was a nightmare, and I stopped it once I realized how uncomfortable he was. The Dr said it would make him sleep. It didn't. Normally, ds parties all night. While he was on clonidine, he cried all night instead. He was very constipated. I only took ds to a neurologist because his school insisted. After that experience, I managed to find a neurologist who agreed with me that ds is perfect how he is.

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Aug 07 2020, 12:54 pm
Op hows the patch going? I need to start my 13 old on it and I'm so uncomfortable giving it to him. Is it working for you?? Any side effects? Are you monitoring his blood presure daily? And did you see a cardioligit before you started the med?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)