Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
ISO stuttering help for 5 year old
Previous  1  2

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 10:28 pm
It cld have nothing to do with Pandas( don’t know anything abt it)and cld be genetics. Usually someone who stutters will have a close relative who did same. In my case - my fil and my brother stuttered on and off and my dc before age 6 got it too. Don’t make it into a thing -don’t label it and don’t react. My dcs stutter manifests more when speaking in front of a large crowd though barely can notice it now.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Jul 06 2020, 11:15 pm
As a mom, I would wait for ds to complete his sentences when he was stuttering and I took him to speech therapy.

The speech therapist showed me some exercises she did so I could do the same on days of the week he didn't have therapy. Diminishing anxiety and showing him how to breathe when speaking helped a lot .

Also, I want to point out that ds loved speech therapy! He had so much fun! To him he was just playing games with the fun therapist and he improved a lot! He was making progress and not noticing he was in therapy at all!

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:39 am
Randy Dorfman

845-426-6595 she has a Lakewood location.

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:40 am
Schneider Speech Lakewood - Jackson, NJ (347)-673-1620

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:43 am
My kid stutters. It gets worse when he is stressed. It gets worse when he is sick. It is always better in the spring and summer than fall. Its different in one language compared to the other. There are many factors. You want to explore PANDAS go right ahead but that is in addition to getting your kid a competent speech therapist who is experienced with stuttering.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:01 pm
bnm wrote:
My kid stutters. It gets worse when he is stressed. It gets worse when he is sick. It is always better in the spring and summer than fall. Its different in one language compared to the other. There are many factors. You want to explore PANDAS go right ahead but that is in addition to getting your kid a competent speech therapist who is experienced with stuttering.
worse when he’s sick points to an inflammatory piece

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:03 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
It cld have nothing to do with Pandas( don’t know anything abt it)and cld be genetics. Usually someone who stutters will have a close relative who did same. In my case - my fil and my brother stuttered on and off and my dc before age 6 got it too. Don’t make it into a thing -don’t label it and don’t react. My dcs stutter manifests more when speaking in front of a large crowd though barely can notice it now.
just because relatives have it doesn’t mean it’s not pandas or brain inflammation related. They may all share the same genetic susceptibility to this type of brain inflammation. That doesn’t mean it can’t be controlled.

bnm

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 3:48 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
worse when he’s sick points to an inflammatory piece
no- just that being sick stresses him and it takes more effort to talk.

BeingBee

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 4:44 pm
bnm wrote:
Randy Dorfman

845-426-6595 she has a Lakewood location.

I'll second Randy, she helped my son (well actually, me and my husband, as she trained us how to deal with his stuttering) and she was always available when needed.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children