Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Anyone else have this? Memory blip
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:06 pm
I sometimes have a strange thing occurring to me. A certain scenario brings up a memory, I feel like I’m reminded of “something” but I can’t remember what that is. I know this sounds senseless but that’s how it feels too. This is not related to anything bad that happened in the past. For example right now I looked up for a phone number of a store and suddenly I felt like this reminds me of dash. Dash because I’m blank. Yet the feeling of reminding myself is so clear. Sort of like deja vu but without actual reference to a specific thing.
I know this post sounds ridiculous but I’m really serious and it feels so awkward. Like why if I’m reminded of something am I not clear?
Can anyone relate or is something off with my brain?

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 12:50 pm
I relate to every word you wrote but I cant explain it any clearer. It's a momentary freeze where I look up as I'm about to do something and I think hey, isnt that just like... this reminds me when.... and my mind goes blank. And then I sigh and just continue with what I was doing. Very weird and frustrating...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I relate to every word you wrote but I cant explain it any clearer. It's a momentary freeze where I look up as I'm about to do something and I think hey, isnt that just like... this reminds me when.... and my mind goes blank. And then I sigh and just continue with what I was doing. Very weird and frustrating...

Wow. Thanks so much for making me feel better. You explained it perfectly to someone who gets it. Wonder how common this is.

sunrise2

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 2:53 pm
Yes!!!!

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 6:12 pm
Sure, all the time.

BTova

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 7:45 pm
Yes I have this too! I can never tell if it was a dream or real but it’s like I have a feeling of what will happen next because I’ve been there? You explained it very well, I can totally relate.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:26 pm
So happy I asked. Guess I’m not the only one. The brain is an interesting organ!

acemom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:54 pm
BTova wrote:
Yes I have this too! I can never tell if it was a dream or real but it’s like I have a feeling of what will happen next because I’ve been there? You explained it very well, I can totally relate.

This.

I usually end up deciding that it was a dream originally.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:00 pm
Glitch in the Matrix.

marvelous

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:36 pm
Yep. me too. Comes along with a feeling too

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:01 pm
Happens way too often, it drives me bananas

WhatFor

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:03 pm
I always thought that this is exactly what deja vu is.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:59 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Glitch in the Matrix.

I’ll google this

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 2:00 am
WhatFor wrote:

Deja vu is a clear recollection, no?

esther7

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:34 am
WhatFor wrote:

Me too! Happens to me also

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 9:33 am
Haaa I’m the same LOL
Sometimes I think it feels like something I dreamt about years ago and now it’s happening.
I always thought it was deja vu!

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:55 am
WhatFor wrote:

No, deja vu is when something happens and you're sure the same thing happened in exactly the same way once before. I might say to you "wait, I'm sure we were sitting in this restaurant once before, you were wearing the same dress you have on now, and I told you this story already" and you say "this is a brand-new dress and I've never been here before."

If I understand OP correctly, her memory glitch is that something she sees or experiences will seem vaguely familiar, reminding her of something but she can't put her finger on what. there may, in fact, be a resemblance to something she's experienced before. let's say I hear a melody and think "this reminds me of something, but what?" (I'm not thinking "hey,I could swear I've been here before and heard that same melody being played by that same accordion player with that same sombrero and serape"). It could be a memory distortion, but it could also be that a few bars of that melody that are almost identical to something else I know and just can't identify.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:00 am
zaq wrote:
No, deja vu is when something happens and you're sure the same thing happened in exactly the same way once before. I might say to you "wait, I'm sure we were sitting in this restaurant once before, you were wearing the same dress you have on now, and I told you this story already" and you say "this is a brand-new dress and I've never been here before."

If I understand OP correctly, her memory glitch is that something she sees or experiences will seem vaguely familiar, reminding her of something but she can't put her finger on what. there may, in fact, be a resemblance to something she's experienced before. let's say I hear a melody and think "this reminds me of something, but what?" (I'm not thinking "hey,I could swear I've been here before and heard that same melody being played by that same accordion player with that same sombrero and serape"). It could be a memory distortion, but it could also be that a few bars of that melody that are almost identical to something else I know and just can't identify.

Exactly. Deja vu is certainly common but with this I wasn’t sure. But I’m happy to hear I’m not the only one.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:03 am
How does it work that with deja vu I can know what will happen next and then it does? I always think that I probably dreamed it before but how does it make sense that I dream what will happen??

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:49 pm
You didn't dream it. It's a distortion of memory. Explaining why it feels as if you know what will happen is way above my pay grade. Maybe way above anyone's pay grade. Suffice it to say that the mind plays tricks on you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics