Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Please help me choose kitchen cabinets, counters andfloors
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 7:44 pm
I’m so confused. I don’t have money for an interior designer. I’m trying to figure out for the counters between granite, marble and quartz. I heard that granite is the most durable and you can put very hot pots on it without damaging it. On the other hand quartz and marble have more trendy designs. The color for the counter some type of white with marble design or plain.
The floor: which type of tile. What are the colors and designs that are nice for a small kitchen with a very small island. I probably should have darker color floor in order not to show the dirt.
Cabinets: maybe white cabinets and only for the island very dark navy. The design of the cabinets very simple. Or completely flat or just plain frame going in in the middle.
I would really appreciate any kind of advice. TIA

applepie

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 7:47 pm
Semi polished tile is excellent for a kitchen. Super practical

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:02 pm
applepie wrote:
Semi polished tile is excellent for a kitchen. Super practical

Thank you. What is it exactly. What colors do you recommend?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:04 pm
Dark floors will show more dirt.
A floor with a design will show less dirt (I have a wood-look porcelain that I love).

I have quartz and love it. I don't put a hot pot on directly. I use trivets. I got white with sparkly specks but I do like the marble look, it's very classic. Don't use marble- it's super hard and porous.
I like the idea of white with a navy island. I have all white with a white Island (I did lively color for backsplash and walls.)

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:07 pm
I like the white and navy!
I have a granite colored marble counter
Maybe a marbled navy and white floor for practicality
Counters can be solid blue or marbelized blues

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:10 pm
I'm assuming if you don't have a designer, you are working with a tight budget. My advice from experience is to go for best value, not necessarily the cheapest. So start off with looking at what you like. We started with cabinets and based on what I liked AND price we could swing, we chose something that wasn't my original preference but pretty nevertheless. It's worth it to spend on more expensive cabinets (wood, not plywood, and thicker) but the actual cabinet doors not so much. Hinges are very important to have good quality.

Then we went to countertops. I decided to go with granite because it increases home value by way more than the price, and it because it's very practical to work with in the kitchen. We chose from the cheapest tier, but I chose a design I love, more marbley look than the typical dotted granite look. I wanted a dark color countertop so that it doesn't always look dirty.

Then we went to floors because that has the most options and we chose something that pulls together the coloring of the counter and the cabinet, and yes rather darker than lighter unless you want to mop your floors every day. I am very happy with my vinyl wood-look planks. I did not want stone floors for many reasons and I don't regret it at all.

Last we did the backsplash (two years after we finished the kitchen). I did a simple clean solid color subway tile same color as cabinet.

For 13k including appliances my kitchen came together really beautifully BH.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:13 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I'm assuming if you don't have a designer, you are working with a tight budget. My advice from experience is to go for best value, not necessarily the cheapest. So start off with looking at what you like. We started with cabinets and based on what I liked AND price we could swing, we chose something that wasn't my original preference but pretty nevertheless. It's worth it to spend on more expensive cabinets (wood, not plywood, and thicker) but the actual cabinet doors not so much. Hinges are very important to have good quality.

Then we went to countertops. I decided to go with granite because it increases home value by way more than the price, and it because it's very practical to work with in the kitchen. We chose from the cheapest tier, but I chose a design I love, more marbley look than the typical dotted granite look. I wanted a dark color countertop so that it doesn't always look dirty.

Then we went to floors because that has the most options and we chose something that pulls together the coloring of the counter and the cabinet, and yes rather darker than lighter unless you want to mop your floors every day. I am very happy with my vinyl wood-look planks. I did not want stone floors for many reasons and I don't regret it at all.

Last we did the backsplash (two years after we finished the kitchen). I did a simple clean solid color subway tile same color as cabinet.

Where did you do your kitchen?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:13 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

Thank you for your advice. I want to have light colors or white mostly for the counters. I think it has a modern look and my kitchen is small. Is the vinyl looking floors look like real wood. I’m afraid also the it will look cheap compare to my dinning room wood floor and maybe the wood will clash with each other.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:15 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Dark floors will show more dirt.
A floor with a design will show less dirt (I have a wood-look porcelain that I love).

I have quartz and love it. I don't put a hot pot on directly. I use trivets. I got white with sparkly specks but I do like the marble look, it's very classic. Don't use marble- it's super hard and porous.
I like the idea of white with a navy island. I have all white with a white Island (I did lively color for backsplash and walls.)

I see that a lot of people have wood looking floor. Thanks for your advice

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:16 pm
HeartyAppetite wrote:
Where did you do your kitchen?

KitchenKorner in Monsey

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you for your advice. I want to have light colors or white mostly for the counters. I think it has a modern look and my kitchen is small. Is the vinyl looking floors look like real wood. I’m afraid also the it will look cheap compare to my dinning room wood floor and maybe the wood will clash with each other.

I also have a small kitchen so I rather went with light colors that are vertical and dark colors for horizontal, meaning cabinets and backsplash and wall paint light while the counter dark and floor dark-ish. More light gets reflected off of vertical surfaces. Also obvisouly the lighting and window placement will have a huge effect. Under cabinet lighting, for example, is a cheap addition that makes a huge difference.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:18 pm
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
I like the white and navy!
I have a granite colored marble counter
Maybe a marbled navy and white floor for practicality
Counters can be solid blue or marbelized blues

I’m not sure but I was certain that I should get light color counters. I see a lot of posters have dark counters.
I wonder if I can have dark plain floor white with no design. Thank you fir your post!

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:23 pm
My mother recently redid her kitchen with white countertops. It's always dirty whether crumbs or coffee mug stain or oil spritzes from the pots. She wipes it down and a minute later it looks dirty. It's gorgeous when it's clean but if you plan on using your kitchen as opposed to displaying it, white countertops IMO are not pretty because they're never clean. You have to know your cooking style and how you plan to use your kitchen. Not everyone uses their counters so heavy duty like me and my mother.

HeartyAppetite

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:28 pm
I went with a grey floor, that has wood like grains on it - it Alamo’s looks like grey wood. I think it’s porcelain.
For countertops I went with white quartzite and Thick grey grains, and some gold in it. We did quartz because it was cheaper, and I heard more durable than granite. I don’t put anything hot directly into it.
We went with white wood cabinets with a square single border. I think solid shiny wood is in, but I liked the look of the border more. I also did a marble tile backsplash. I loved the look of having the quartz going all the way up, but it was way too expensive.
I love white and navy, if my kitchen would have room for an island I would probably do that. I brought in navy with my kitchen chairs.
I also did gold handles to warm it up.
I saw someone did knobs on cabinets and handle on drawers, I like the look of the mix and match.
Regarding the white counters looking dirty, when I cook I put a plastic onto it, and I always wipe it down after using. I don’t find that to be a problem.
Also I don’t think white floors are a smart idea in a kitchen...also the floor should have some kind of design to hide the dirt.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:02 pm
Go with granite. Personally, I would not want to put in countertops that would melt if something hot would be placed on it. Also, find out about kashering of the other options...

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I’m so confused. I don’t have money for an interior designer. I’m trying to figure out for the counters between granite, marble and quartz. I heard that granite is the most durable and you can put very hot pots on it without damaging it. On the other hand quartz and marble have more trendy designs. The color for the counter some type of white with marble design or plain.
The floor: which type of tile. What are the colors and designs that are nice for a small kitchen with a very small island. I probably should have darker color floor in order not to show the dirt.
Cabinets: maybe white cabinets and only for the island very dark navy. The design of the cabinets very simple. Or completely flat or just plain frame going in in the middle.
I would really appreciate any kind of advice. TIA

Any real marble will stain, chip, and etch unless you are extremely careful, and engineered quartz is not heat-proof due to resin fillers. Hard quartzites are durable but more expensive than granite. A low-end granite will be the best value. There are a few relatively inexpensive white granites such as Luna Pearl (white with black speckles).

A patterned floor shows dirt less. A neutral color with bits of other colors hide crumbs and dirt better. LVT is a softer surface than tile and currently popular.

Everybody and their brother makes white Shaker cabinets (that's a door style: recessed center panel surrounded by a frame). Works with both traditional and modern. Buy the best quality you can afford. When using stock cabinets get framed rather than frameless construction.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:18 pm
Only matte for the floor!!!!!! BTDT! My biggest mistake is a semi gloss and I don't have a light floor! I wish somebody would've told it to me before it's too late.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:22 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
Any real marble will stain, chip, and etch unless you are extremely careful, and engineered quartz is not heat-proof due to resin fillers. Hard quartzites are durable but more expensive than granite. A low-end granite will be the best value. There are a few relatively inexpensive white granites such as Luna Pearl (white with black speckles).

A patterned floor shows dirt less. A neutral color with bits of other colors hide crumbs and dirt better. LVT is a softer surface than tile and currently popular.

Everybody and their brother makes white Shaker cabinets (that's a door style: recessed center panel surrounded by a frame). Works with both traditional and modern. Buy the best quality you can afford. When using stock cabinets get framed rather than frameless construction.

I have a patterned, multi color with a grain, not light colored floor. Whoever sees my floor is shocked how unhappy I am. The trick is matte. It's not as pretty but the most practical for a kitchen. My floor is gorgeous. It's semi gloss. Stunning coloring but every tiny piece of dirt, every tiny water mark is visible.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:07 pm
I did my kitchen a year ago. It is a small kitchen so I went with everything light colored to give it an airier feel. My cabinets are white. My backsplash is white subway tiles but the grout is gray to give it a little pop. My floor is ceramic tile that looks like wood. My walls are a very light gray.My counters are quartz and they are white with marblized splashes of tan and gray to match the floor and counters and bring the kitchen together. I am very very happy with how it came out. Good luck!

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:47 pm
I know exactly how you feel! I have been wanting to redo my kitchen for a few years already. I even went into some cabinet places only to leave because I felt so overwhelmed! I finally decided I liked white (or maybe cream?) and I went into a place to look at quartz/granite counters and again! I left feeling helpless! I can't picture how something will look from a sample and I am not good at colors.....

I am up to the point that I would hire a decorator to help me - middle price range. I can't afford $200 an hour.

Any names? numbers?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics