Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Leave baby in my room or move him out
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:55 pm
My baby just turned a year old. He is still sleeping in his pack n play right next to my bed. I am bh nursing clean still but no my baby does not give me 8 hour stretches at night. most he goes is 6 hours. My 7 yr old son has his own room and I can easily move my baby there but this is still working so I don't bother. I like the fact that if he wakes up at 2 am or 6 am I dont have to get out of bed to deal with him. I just sit up, reach over to his pack n play and bring him to my bed and either cuddle or nurse him back to sleep. On the flip side if I moved him out, after a week or so the 2am and 6 am wakings may stop. What would you do? How long do you leave your baby/toddler in your room?

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:59 pm
Out out out

rivkam

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:18 pm
Could you try a week of the baby sleeping in the other room and see how it goes? At least its really easy to move the pack and play from room to room. Sometimes moving the baby out will help them sleep longer stretches but sometimes it doesn't make a difference. Theres no harm in trying though.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:24 pm
My almost-2-year-old is still in my room in a pack-n-play, lol. She usually does sleep through the night, usually until 6-7 am or later, but I don't have to wake up until 8 at least, so I'm too lazy to have her in a different room!

Whichever decision you end up making, know that there is no "right" or "wrong" here. Your decision will be based either on the principle of the matter or the one that causes the least stress.

I have no principles in this particular area, so I go with the easiest! (She will get evicted eventually, but it's not terribly urgent.)

teachkids

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:02 am
Move baby to the other room, and bring older kid to your room for a week so baby doesn’t wake him as he gets used to sleeping through the night.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:09 am
I'd move the baby out because as they get older the move is definitely harder.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:20 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
I'd move the baby out because as they get older the move is definitely harder.

THIS.

Once they get used to having you there at night for security, they will get super attached, especially at the toddler stage. If you can get your child used to settling down and having big brother for security, you can have your private life back.

#Happymom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:20 am
Out! Out!
From 6 weeks I send my babies out Smile and I definitely find that they sleep better.

#Happymom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:21 am
And you cannot compare how you'll feel after an uninterrupted nights sleep. Youll be a new person Very Happy

imasinger

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:55 am
Not to mention having more privacy with your DH.

If he's a year, he doesn't need you at 2 am AND 6 am. Maybe at 6 for an early rising baby.

Do it!

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:03 am
I moved my over 1 1/2 year old who was still waking up during the night. She's still waking up during the night but I do think it's "better" and at aleast she isn't in my bed all night long. I would suggest trying to get naps in during the day since it is more draining to have to really get up to go to her in the middle of the night. Hopefully it's temporary.

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:04 am
I put up a temporary room divider from Amazon. The baby didn’t see me, and woke up less. By the time the baby slept through the night till 6 am, I transferred him to the other room to join his sibling

pause

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:28 am
My baby/toddler goes out of my room when I start feeling resentful of the invasion of my sleep, space, and private time with DH. With each kid it's different but none were before 14 months. If I was nursing clean or not also had an impact on my decision because once I was going to mikva I was less likely to want a baby in my room, but if I was still nursing clean, I had to weigh the risk of losing that against how badly we wanted the kid out.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:57 am
I moved my baby out at 3 months. I don't know how people do it any longer.

silverlining3

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 8:26 am
Don't remember exactly at age I put my nursing baby out, but before the year for sure. He's now almost 2 and still wakes once or twice a night..so no, putting out didn't help on this part. But I needed my freedom back already. When I went to sleep I had to tiptoe in, no turning on lights, no talking too loud. Every extra noise I was scared that baby will wake. Was too much!

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:44 am
Out! Out! You shoulda done that long ago. The longer you wait the harder it'll be and you DON'T want to find yourself with a six-year-old who still sleeps with you. Happened to a friend of mine.

tweety1

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:57 am
Why is everybody yelling out? My 2 1/2 yr old is still in my room. I have as much privacy as I want with dh. I don't mind it neither does dh.

stillnewlywed

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:58 am
silverlining3 wrote:
Don't remember exactly at age I put my nursing baby out, but before the year for sure. He's now almost 2 and still wakes once or twice a night..so no, putting out didn't help on this part. But I needed my freedom back already. When I went to sleep I had to tiptoe in, no turning on lights, no talking too loud. Every extra noise I was scared that baby will wake. Was too much!

Moving your baby out of your room does not prevent night wakings. In order for your child to sleep through the night you have to teach them how to fall asleep independently and wean them off night feedings! But - moving your child out of your does make it easier to ignore night wakings and let them cry a little.

pause

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:00 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Why is everybody yelling out? My 2 1/2 yr old is still in my room. I have as much privacy as I want with dh. I don't mind it neither does dh.

I agree. Everyone should do what works for them.

And it's NOT harder once the kid is older. You need to go about it differently, but IME it's easier because you can talk to the kid and explain whereas a younger kid cries and can more easily feel abandoned.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:11 pm
My concern is for DS7, and a baby that wakes up crying during the night.
If you had a room for just the baby, I would be much more certain about moving him out.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics