Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Scheduling Dinner

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 7:59 pm
How does everyone manage? I have a toddler and a baby. We used to do dinner as a family at around 630 but of the course by then the kids were so hungry that they were cranky and the whole meal became a stressful affair. Now I started feeding the kids at 5/530 but then when we sit down to eat they are hungry all over again (or bored LOL) and they snack with us. What do you guys do? Eat together early as a family? Eat with the kids and have your husband eat later? Wait to eat until after the kids are asleep? Any other ideas?

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:03 pm
Two dinners sister.... Two dinners.

westchestermom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:05 pm
Put out cut veggies and fruit when they are starving and it will take the edge off until real dinner.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:11 pm
Feed my son at 5:30. Dinner at 7 with dh.

Growing up we’d come home from school starving and eat right away. Then before bed my mom would serve us a platter of cut up veggies. She’d eat with my dad alone afterwards.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:13 pm
6:30 is very late for kids to eat dinner. We eat as a family at 5:30. If DH can't have dinner at 5:30, feed the kids earlier and DH can eat later.
It's normal and typical of little kids to want what the parents are eating even if they're not really hungry.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:17 pm
Dinner at 530 for the kids. Dinner for DH and I after the kids are in bed.

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:32 pm
Quick Family dinner at 6:30. Snack at 5 so she’s not starving when dinner starts. She can only last about 5 minutes at the table so she can play while we finish eating and then we do bedtime

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 8:59 pm
2 dinners. Smile Or dinner for them at 5pm and for us after they are in bed.

What usually works for us is dinner at 5pm for them and then eating the salad or other component all together at 7pm, and adults continuing with the rest of the meal.

Last edited by ra_mom on Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:00 pm
Toddler has dinner at 5 (last nights leftovers) while I prepare dinner and have a snack sitting with her.
Then she gets her bath.
Some days she’s asleep by 6:30 and we eat dinner without her, and some days she’s awake and goes back in her high chair and eats a 2nd dinner of relatively healthy and non-messy foods from our dinner (cucumbers, small pieces of non-saucy chicken, maybe some potatoes, whole wheat bread, fruit).

-Sunnygirl

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:01 pm
Dinner for my son at 5 and then we eat at around 7 when DH comes home and son is in bed...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 9:51 pm
I wish they went to sleep so early that dinner for my husband and me could be at 630/7! They go to sleep more like 8/9. Oh, well. Two dinners (for them) it is!

Rachel Shira

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:19 pm
We all eat together at 6 but my toddler is in bed at 7:30 and we go to sleep early too.

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:29 pm
Now in the summer everything is later by me. My kids are not interested in dinner right after they come home. (Grew up not wanting either lol)
I let them have something when they come home and dinner is around 6:30. My older kids usually are good to go till bedtime. My toddler can Sometimes eat again, from our plates.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 10:55 pm
We eat dinner all night . 7 kids , some eat at 4:30 and it keeps going til abt 10. It’s a little chaotic in the summer .

camp123

Post Tue, Jul 07 2020, 11:54 pm
It's cruel to make a toddler wait until 6.30 to eat.
Proper meal at 5. Then cut up fruit and veg while you eat.

Teomima

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:15 am
We're not great at the whole organized meal thing, but usually the little kids eat something when they get home, around 4:15, then have dinner around 6.

Rappel

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:21 am
My kids are also young. We eat supper around 4:30-5, and they get a snack before bedtime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics