Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Please help me choose kitchen cabinets, counters andfloors
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:53 pm
OP, what do you love?
It is not about a designers taste or what the lovely helpful women on Imamother like.
You will have this kitchen for years to come and probably spend multiple hours in it every day.
What makes you smile?
Trends come and go and you will not likely redo your kitchen in 5 years? when the style is different and there are newer things on the market.

Find a focal point or something that makes you happy and work to match and compliment from there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:11 pm
byisrael wrote:
I would do this type of tile for the floor if you go with navy, white, and gold finishing - if it's not open to the dining room it doesn't matter that it doesn't "match"

https://www.houzz.com/products.....00132

I like this tile! Thank you!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:14 pm
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
OP, what do you love?
It is not about a designers taste or what the lovely helpful women on Imamother like.
You will have this kitchen for years to come and probably spend multiple hours in it every day.
What makes you smile?
Trends come and go and you will not likely redo your kitchen in 5 years? when the style is different and there are newer things on the market.

Find a focal point or something that makes you happy and work to match and compliment from there.

You are right! I think I like light gray island instead of dark navy. It is less harsh and more open. I like whitish counters but I’m not sure if it’s practical. I’m going to see if I find a nice white granite otherwise I think I will go with quartzite. About the cabinets I like it white but not sure if I want it to have a frame or just flat.

byisrael

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:30 pm
Here are some visualizations of what it would look like with a light gray island

https://www.houzz.com/photos/m.....21302

https://www.houzz.com/photos/s.....10356

if you are worried about practicallity maybe you can find a grey light gray granite you like and still use the quarzite marble for the island and backsplah
like this
https://www.houzz.com/photos/t.....48889

byisrael

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:39 pm
also a cheaper idea that I have heard people talking about is porcelain slab it gives you that marble look for cheaper AND stronget then quartz. Just make sure your contracter knows what he is doing cause if he doesn't he may rack it during installation
this lists pro's and con's
https://www.maxspacestoneworks.....face.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:50 am
So far I decided to do white quartzite counter with warm marble.the floor brownish grayish wood like color. I’m not sure if the floor should be tile or LVT. The cabinet white shaker or flat? How do people make these decisions??? The island probably dark navy. Backsplash the same quartile as the counters.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:28 pm
Can I do LVT wood like in the kitchen if my dinning room has wood floor. My kitchen has a doorway to the dining room. Is it going to clash since it is not going to be the same wood color?

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:31 pm
If you have a thin Tile separating the two Doorways I don’t think it should be a problem.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can I do LVT wood like in the kitchen if my dinning room has wood floor. My kitchen has a doorway to the dining room. Is it going to clash since it is not going to be the same wood color?
I have it like this too and it's separated with a thin metal piece. It's not the most gorgeous transition but it looks ok. It doesn't bother me at all.

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So far I decided to do white quartzite counter with warm marble.the floor brownish grayish wood like color. I’m not sure if the floor should be tile or LVT. The cabinet white shaker or flat? How do people make these decisions??? The island probably dark navy. Backsplash the same quartile as the counters.

Shaker looks nicer imo and thats what I have but you it's harder to clean. Go with what you like.

shmosmom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:05 pm
Hi,

I didn't read all the responses, but what I'm thinking is maybe white upper cabinetry and navy bottom cabinets. I'd do a gray taupe color floor, I'll try to find pictures what I mean.
I love my granite countertops, they're pretty, look perfect after years (don't stain or ruin). My mother recently did quartz and although it's beautiful she regrets it because although she is careful to put something under hot pots, other adults and teens using the kitchen sometimes forget.
Good luck!

Let me know if I can be of more help.
The image below is the type of flooring I meant. I am not promoting Wayfair (where the picture is from), just the floor.

I am also including the upper & bottom cabinet picture I'm thinking of:

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 3:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

You can just run the hardwood into the kitchen.
I'm a designer for a builder (building multi - million dollar homes) and we do this 99% of the time.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 3:30 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Shaker will give more dimension to the room. I would only do slab cabinets if it's a super modern design.
Also keep in mind that the dark paint will get nicked and you will see that more than on the white paint. So if you have seating on the island and kids that will kick it, keep that in mind.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 5:26 am
A friend suggested I should do a waterfall on the island. We chose white quartz countertops with marbles. Is it a good idea?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Shaker will give more dimension to the room. I would only do slab cabinets if it's a super modern design.
Also keep in mind that the dark paint will get nicked and you will see that more than on the white paint. So if you have seating on the island and kids that will kick it, keep that in mind.

Thank you. I chose white shaker. I don’t have little kids. Is it still a problem with the paint in the island?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:32 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
You can just run the hardwood into the kitchen.
I'm a designer for a builder (building multi - million dollar homes) and we do this 99% of the time.

I’m not changing the wood floor in the living room so it won’t be the same wood.

amother
Jetblack

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:58 am
Op-I didn't read the entire thread, and it sounds like you made most of your selections already. I am telling you from experience, spend the $100 on a decorator. It is a very worthwhile investment. She will save you so much time and emotional energy making these decisions. You don't need to pay her to decide the placement of each cabinet, but your overall look will be right and she may even help you save money, telling you where you can cut corners. Building parts of my house without a decorator is one of my biggest regrets...

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:32 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
A friend suggested I should do a waterfall on the island. We chose white quartz countertops with marbles. Is it a good idea?

I don't like the waterfall look. you need to find out if the quartz countertop can withstand bumps and bruises.

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 7:43 pm
amother [ Jetblack ] wrote:
Op-I didn't read the entire thread, and it sounds like you made most of your selections already. I am telling you from experience, spend the $100 on a decorator. It is a very worthwhile investment. She will save you so much time and emotional energy making these decisions. You don't need to pay her to decide the placement of each cabinet, but your overall look will be right and she may even help you save money, telling you where you can cut corners. Building parts of my house without a decorator is one of my biggest regrets...

Ive never heard of such a cheap decorator. Here its a minimum of $150 an hr and they spend more than an hr that's for sure.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:17 pm
lamplighter wrote:
Ive never heard of such a cheap decorator. Here its a minimum of $150 an hr and they spend more than an hr that's for sure.

In Brooklyn you can find for $100 although it is very hard. For $150-200 you can find for sure. But then there are those who charge $350.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics