Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tell Me About Your Bungalow Colony, Pretty Please!!!
Previous  1  2

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 9:47 pm
working hard wrote:
The crowd is a mix of yeshivish, litvish, sefardi, ashkenazi, Chassidish. One of the things many people love about the place is the fact that all the kids play together and everyone lives together with Achdus.
The colony has about 40 families on one side and 20 across the street, aside from the owners and their families.
There is a decent day camp for girls and younger boys as well as excellent learning groups for the boys with supervised sports in the afternoon. Everyone who rents a bungalow has to pay for minimum 3 daycamp slots and more if necessary.
The owner is Rabbi Tress: 845-425-4682.

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell me all of this.

Is there a pool? How much do the bungalows go for? Where is it located?

Thank you!

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Apr 19 2015, 10:14 pm
working hard wrote:
The crowd is a mix of yeshivish, litvish, sefardi, ashkenazi, Chassidish. One of the things many people love about the place is the fact that all the kids play together and everyone lives together with Achdus.
The colony has about 40 families on one side and 20 across the street, aside from the owners and their families.
There is a decent day camp for girls and younger boys as well as excellent learning groups for the boys with supervised sports in the afternoon. Everyone who rents a bungalow has to pay for minimum 3 daycamp slots and more if necessary.
The owner is Rabbi Tress: 845-425-4682.

Rabbi Tress is one of the owners, but the phone number is for a different Tress. Sorry, I don't have the correct phone number for you.

ETA there is a pool. It's located in Ferndale, not far from Camp Bais Yaakov, and Swan Lake.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:45 pm
I have gone to Victory Cottages. The owners are Tabak 845 371 4236, its a frum, some yeshivish some queens some Lakewood some Bp/Flatbush ( not MO).families. Very simple noone tries to outdo the next.
Girls Day camp is ok depends on who head counselor is Boys cheder is very good.
There are better bungalows which cost much more than the old bungalows.
Bungalows run from $5 thousand to $8 thousand plus day camp

amother
Sapphire

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 6:48 pm
Thank you very much, last amother.

Last call for the other colonies. Anyone here in Tel Yaffa? Or Pleasant Valley?

bookie

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you very much, last amother.

Last call for the other colonies. Anyone here in Tel Yaffa? Or Pleasant Valley?

Pleasant valley has no day camp. I think it's somewhat of an older crowd

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Apr 20 2015, 9:08 pm
I spent a couple of weeks with my mother at Pleasant Valley last year. There were maybe 4 families with kids there for the whole summer, and a handful of grandparents who had visiting grandchildren of various ages (like me/my kids!) coming and going. There is a large Chasidish camp across the street; a few of the people in the bungalow colony had some affiliation with them I believe - working in the camp or sending kids to day camp there or something. A couple of families from Flatbush or something like it, and most of the grandparent crowd seemed to be "JPF" with a mix of yeshivish, centrist, and MO kids. It's a very small colony so not much action overall. Definitely on the quiet side. If you need more social life/kid entertainment, you probably want either a different colony or to sleep there and hang out with friends someplace else nearby. If you're happy to sit on a lawn chair and read/relax/supervise while your little ones play in a mostly-enclosed little area, it's perfect. I enjoyed it very much for a week or so and then started to feel a little bored.

ETA: the bungalows themselves were in very good condition, well kept, the kitchen was nice, well lit, nice big porch with table and chairs great to hang out on and get fresh air and the outdoor experience even when it was pouring rain. It was really nice. My sibling was in a colony with much better social life and paid twice the price for it and the bungalow was a cramped dump where you couldn't turn around in the kitchen, not sure how they both ate and cooked there, and there was no roof on the porch so they couldn't eat there all the time either.

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
I spent a couple of weeks with my mother at Pleasant Valley last year. There were maybe 4 families with kids there for the whole summer, and a handful of grandparents who had visiting grandchildren of various ages (like me/my kids!) coming and going. There is a large Chasidish camp across the street; a few of the people in the bungalow colony had some affiliation with them I believe - working in the camp or sending kids to day camp there or something. A couple of families from Flatbush or something like it, and most of the grandparent crowd seemed to be "JPF" with a mix of yeshivish, centrist, and MO kids. It's a very small colony so not much action overall. Definitely on the quiet side. If you need more social life/kid entertainment, you probably want either a different colony or to sleep there and hang out with friends someplace else nearby. If you're happy to sit on a lawn chair and read/relax/supervise while your little ones play in a mostly-enclosed little area, it's perfect. I enjoyed it very much for a week or so and then started to feel a little bored.

ETA: the bungalows themselves were in very good condition, well kept, the kitchen was nice, well lit, nice big porch with table and chairs great to hang out on and get fresh air and the outdoor experience even when it was pouring rain. It was really nice. My sibling was in a colony with much better social life and paid twice the price for it and the bungalow was a cramped dump where you couldn't turn around in the kitchen, not sure how they both ate and cooked there, and there was no roof on the porch so they couldn't eat there all the time either.

Thank you for filling me in.

If it's not a big deal, would you be able to share the number to the owner/manager so that I can call about possible bungalows?

I'd love to look into this option.

Also, do they have a pool?

Thank you!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 1:06 am
amother wrote:
Thank you for filling me in.

If it's not a big deal, would you be able to share the number to the owner/manager so that I can call about possible bungalows?

I'd love to look into this option.

Also, do they have a pool?

Thank you!

I'll try to remember to ask for the number for you. They do have a pool. It is not huge but it is nice, clean, good condition, and because the colony is small you can really enjoy it - I don't really enjoy going to big busy pools where there are kids playing and splashing everywhere and you can barely swim a straight lap. It's almost like having a private pool. Last year they did not have a steady lifeguard; a couple of the tenants happened to be lifeguards and agreed to watch people from time to time, and most people felt OK taking little kids in the shallow and watching them very carefully (I did this only when the lifeguard was present, though she wasn't officially lifeguarding but swimming laps I figured I am watching my kids like a hawk - had a hand hovering on the little one the entire time and the bigger one right next to me - and if anything happened that I couldn't handle I could yell for help and she was right there) I guess if the tenants got together and chipped in they could arrange to hire someone part time, maybe even from within the colony.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 9:45 am
amother wrote:
I'll try to remember to ask for the number for you. They do have a pool. It is not huge but it is nice, clean, good condition, and because the colony is small you can really enjoy it - I don't really enjoy going to big busy pools where there are kids playing and splashing everywhere and you can barely swim a straight lap. It's almost like having a private pool. Last year they did not have a steady lifeguard; a couple of the tenants happened to be lifeguards and agreed to watch people from time to time, and most people felt OK taking little kids in the shallow and watching them very carefully (I did this only when the lifeguard was present, though she wasn't officially lifeguarding but swimming laps I figured I am watching my kids like a hawk - had a hand hovering on the little one the entire time and the bigger one right next to me - and if anything happened that I couldn't handle I could yell for help and she was right there) I guess if the tenants got together and chipped in they could arrange to hire someone part time, maybe even from within the colony.

Wow! Thank you. It really sounds up my alley. If you can get the contact info that would be AMAZING. Even just the name of a contact person could be a help. Thank you!!!

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 2:33 pm
I know "nisht" about bungalows....but this ad is in the HaModia classifieds last weekL

Monticello, Sheves Achim/Prager's
2-3-5 BR bungalows
yeshivishe colony
beautiful grounds
great cheder/day camp
917-363-1609

There are others in the HaModia classifieds. But they don't all say the names of the colony or the crowd.
I can't type them all out, but if you pm me with your email address, I can scan it for you.

Also, if you don't get anywhere with these leads, you can put a classified ad in HaModia/Yated "looking for bungalow. Yeshivish crowd. Must have day camp/cheder/pool" (something like that). I think a classified in HaModia is only $20 p/week

ruchelbuckle

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 9:09 am
OP, please PM me, as I have a phone number for you.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Apr 23 2015, 12:03 pm
Thanks you so much! People are so nice! Will PM you.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Feb 11 2017, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
The colonies that seem to be the type you are looking for:
TRT
Pregers/ Sheves Achim
Ki Tov
Menorah

Nachlei Emunah is a colony in Monticello its more Haimish

Sheldrake Hills( formerly Sheldrake Dorms) is a colony but the bungalows are individually owned, Many of the Owners sublet for a half or whole summer.

Bayit Vegan
Tel Yaffa
These two colonies are in the Woodridge neighborhood

As well you can look in Yated and Hamodia under bungalows for rent

Anyone with info about Sheldrake Hills?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 4:27 pm
I just chanced upon this old thread do most people still go to the old bungalows? I feel like most people who go upstate are in the winterized homes but maybe I am just spoiled

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:59 pm
Yup! I'm an old-style ramshackle bungalow colony!

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:06 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Yup! I'm an old-style ramshackle bungalow colony!

You are? That’s ironic cuz I’m a hotel.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:10 pm
Yes but they do feel like they're getting harder to find. Some have been turned into chassidish camps, some turned into co ops with individual owners who fix up their places, some died of old age. But there are still some holdouts and I hope there always will be because there is nothing like it.

pause

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:16 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
You are? That’s ironic cuz I’m a hotel.

Rolling Laughter I guess I'm a house lol

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:17 pm
pause wrote:
I guess I'm a house lol

I was a house before corona. At this point I’m a hotel already Rolling Laughter

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
I was a house before corona. At this point I’m a hotel already Rolling Laughter

After corona I’m definately feeling like a resort
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating