Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Where to send chassidishe kids to school in Scranton?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:46 am
we are thinking of moving to scranton PA but concerned about schools- are there any chassidish style schools there? Also, what about shuls?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:51 am
maybe scranton hebrew day school
and ohev tzedek
tthe erev goes to at least colfax ave

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:07 pm
contact Rabbi Itkin
last I heard they had two small girls high schools

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:12 pm
Scranton? Chassidish?
If you’re moving there you’ll just have to go to the yeshivish school...

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:16 pm
Scranton is a really small community. I would call and research it a lot before you move there.
There are chassidish geirim who live there who are wonderful people very warm. Otherwise there are no chassidim. (Some labavitch very few). It's a hard community to live in because it is very old style and the school Scranton Hebrew Day school is run that way.

Good luck with your move! I hope it goes well!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 12:18 pm
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
Scranton? Chassidish?
If you’re moving there you’ll just have to go to the yeshivish school...

Even the yeshivish school is not typical yeshivish. The community is tiny and my cousin is always complaining about the bitterly cold winters. Is it that much colder there than in NY?

shanie5

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 2:37 pm
amother [ Goldenrod ] wrote:
Even the yeshivish school is not typical yeshivish. The community is tiny and my cousin is always complaining about the bitterly cold winters. Is it that much colder there than in NY?

Coldest I've been since leaving NY is when I went back to visit. We dont get the wind that ny gets. So while temperature is lower, wind chill makes ny colder.

Schools: 1 day school. As close to yeshivish as you can get while still having both boys and girls. Mixed. Separated for hebrew in 4th grade and English in 7th.
Option of lubavitch school in Kingston-about 25 minutes away-16 or so miles from scranton. Not a fun drive on snowy days.

High schools: 2 girls bais yakov type schools. 20-30 girls total between the 2 schools.

Boys high schools: oot yeshiva based in scranton. And chabad in kingston.

Chassidim: a few who are not of the chassidic geirim (who are an amazing group of people). Those few will daven in the lubavitch shul ohev tzedek.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:01 pm
Not chassidish by any means, but just to add, there is a new MO elementary school there as well. Beth Shalom Academy.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:05 pm
There is no Beth Shalom Academy.
The MO shul doesn't have a school connected to it.
It's just a shul

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:08 pm
The winters are not colder than in ny
Housing is inexpensive

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:09 pm
Why are their two girls high schools what’s the difference one of them has a terrific principle

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:11 pm
The schools used to be one big school.
They split because of haskafic differences. For awhile one was the modern school Bais Yaakov and one was the VERY Yeshivish school Bnos Yisroel. Now the Bais Yaakov closed and reopened as a kiruv school for the geirim. I don't have super updated information on the Bais Yaakov.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 7:36 pm
The schools are tiny. You send with everyone else of all types. Ohev tzedek is basically all chassidus types, mainly lubavich. You need to be open to being one community with everyone else from lwmo to ultra chassidish because it is a small community and need to know how you will make income before you go.

shanie5

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 2:33 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
There is no Beth Shalom Academy.
The MO shul doesn't have a school connected to it.
It's just a shul

Amother linen, you are wrong about this and the bais yakov/bnos yisroel situation. Beth shalom academy opened last year. They are located in the Beth shalom shul and advertise as MO.

Bais yakov has never been MO. And never closed and reopened. And they are not a kiruv school. The chaddish geirim families send there, but so do others.
The 2 schools are same hashkafa. If its relevant to anyone, they can pm me for the reason why there are 2 BY type schools here.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating