Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What’s your favorite song about Yerusholayim?
Previous  1  2  3

Zeleze

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:02 am
Oh my Yerushalyim from Counrty Yossi Smile

emmes

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:06 am
Years ago, maybe 20 or even more, Machon Bais Yaakov had a beautiful song about Yerushalayim on their play. I think it was Three Faces East. Remember the tune but not much of the words. If someone has the lyrics, please please post it!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:20 am
Od yeshvu, by MBD.
V'liyerushalayim, by MBC (fast) and Dveykus (slow)

summer0808

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:31 pm
The machon song is 'there's a place in my mind'

malki2

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 1:42 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
My all time all time favorite

Same here.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 3:30 pm
I have so many
Almost every friday night we sing
ולירושלים עירך
With the English bit after "I sit by my window and what do I behold? but the city of my fathers"
On the weeks it makes a child too tearful (which happens every few wks dependent on current events mostly)
We switch out to shwekeys לבי במזרח!

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 5:48 pm
Al Kapav Yavi by the late great Naomi Shemer (sung here by Rivka Zohar):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EsAQ2mxYMw

Last edited by zaq on Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 6:17 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
I like the song itself but the singer's heavy American accent when singing in Hebrew is very annoying

He can't help it, poor guy.

I can't stand most English-language Jewish songs, but they serve the purpose for those who are not proficient in Hebrew. And so a philosophical question arises: Is it better to sing a Jewish song in your native language other than Hebrew and understand the words, or to sing a Hebrew song in a terrible accent and not understand the words? Discuss.

You can make a great fool of yourself singing in a language you don't understand. When I acquired a book of classic Israeli songs and found the correct lyrics to many numbers we learned in school or camp, I found out that at times we were singing utter nonsense. Here's an example from "Hakotel"-- another great Yerushalayim song since we're on the subject:

amar li lamavet ein d'mut ach yesh keter--he said to me death has no form but it has a crown
tish'a milei-meter bil'vad--just nine metered (?) words

The real words are amar li lamavet ein d'mut ach yesh koter--he said to me death has no form but it has a diameter
tish'a millimeter bil'vad--just nine millimeters (the diameter of a bullet)

Wow! It was like the sun breaking through after a thunderstorm--suddenly it all made sense!

Most of the audience at our year-end concert wasn't proficient in Hebrew, and since the words get blurred in choral singing, those who were proficient probably couldn't distinguish our mistakes, anyway. But thinking about it still makes me cringe.

emmes

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:02 pm
summer0808 wrote:
The machon song is 'there's a place in my mind'

Yes that's it. Do you you know all the words? Pls post it if you have time. Or if there's somewhere online where I can listen to it. Maybe it was ever recorded by a male singer.

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:18 pm
Hashemlovesme1 wrote:
Love that song too! It’s written by Dina Storch, and was sung by Avramie Flam. Here’s a link to the album
https://mostlymusic.com/produc.....nd-cd

emmes, this was on page 2 of this thread. FWIW most of the Dena Storch songs on her "there's a place in my mind" were originally created for and performed by women... It would be worthwhile to hear those versions if you can...

I like the original version of the Journeys "Yerushalayim" song. I can still hear Rochel Miller singing it on one of the "Taste of Music" tapes... (actually, Rochel Miller sang "there's a place in my mind" as well, way before Avramie Flam's album was produced)

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 10:47 pm
cbsp wrote:
emmes, this was on page 2 of this thread. FWIW most of the Dena Storch songs on her "there's a place in my mind" were originally created for and performed by women... It would be worthwhile to hear those versions if you can...

I like the original version of the Journeys "Yerushalayim" song. I can still hear Rochel Miller singing it on one of the "Taste of Music" tapes... (actually, Rochel Miller sang "there's a place in my mind" as well, way before Avramie Flam's album was produced)

I've never heard "There's a Place in My Mind" sung by a male. In terms of context, I heard it for the first time in 1995 or 96 sung by a seminary choir. So it's at least 25 years old.

And the original Yerushalayim song! Such an amazing thing how that song got changed just enough to be considered original. I still hear St Elmo's Fire when I hear it, even though I love the Journeys version.

Anyone remember Susan Kates's "Yerushalayim Harim Saviv Lah"?

cbsp

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:11 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I've never heard "There's a Place in My Mind" sung by a male. In terms of context, I heard it for the first time in 1995 or 96 sung by a seminary choir. So it's at least 25 years old.

And the original Yerushalayim song! Such an amazing thing how that song got changed just enough to be considered original. I still hear St Elmo's Fire when I hear it, even though I love the Journeys version.

Anyone remember Susan Kates's "Yerushalayim Harim Saviv Lah"?

Ya, that change, OMG, it took me a long time before I could stop mocking the "calypso" version of the tune on Journeys. I do appreciate the Journeys version now and enjoy hearing it...

(wasn't the original the theme from Terms of Endearment?)

essie14

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:27 pm
cbsp wrote:
Ya, that change, OMG, it took me a long time before I could stop mocking the "calypso" version of the tune on Journeys. I do appreciate the Journeys version now and enjoy hearing it...

(wasn't the original the theme from Terms of Endearment?)

Yes, the tune was terms of endearment.
BY baltimore sang it to that tune in a production in the late 80s.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Jul 08 2020, 11:48 pm
Ari Goldwag's acapella Yerushalayim - stunning!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ltFChQ9fgM

emmes

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 12:06 am
cbsp wrote:

Thanks. I missed it. I'm tempted to buy the entire cd just for that song.

I had a recording from the play but I lost it a long time ago. I listened to it a lot as a kid. Was beautiful.

Eta: now that I have the name in the song, I was able to find the lyrics. Here's a link, if anyone's interested.
http://www.jyrics.com/lyrics/t.....mind/
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics