Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How diverse is your work environment

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 1:54 am
With all the current controversy, recent events, and emotions running high,
I how insular are your daily interactions (ok, before Corona when you actually went in to work)? Is your team homogeneous? Are you exposed to diversity? Do you see people stereotyping others or fitting into stereotypes? How does that shape your perceptions.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 2:40 am
I’m self-employed, but my clients are as diverse as they come (other than that they all speak at least basic English). BH never had any problems. Edit- when I worked in an office setting even years back, I felt enormous pressure to conform to the mainstream political views. I never felt safe to say my true opinion and I always kept strictly silent on anything political. I was very conscious of being Jewish and being politically conservative and knew it would bite me if I ever spoke up even a tiny bit. Sad but true, and I wanted to keep my job. That’s how we ended up with a silent majority.

salt

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I how insular are your daily interactions (ok, before Corona when you actually went in to work)? Is your team homogeneous? Are you exposed to diversity? Do you see people stereotyping others or fitting into stereotypes? How does that shape your perceptions.

I work in a hi-tech company in Israel. So my office is diverse from the point of view of all different kinds of Jews. (you should hear the debates that go on before general elections).
I don't see much stereotyping. There have been a few incidents where debates have got a little too heated, but that's just cos Israelis like to argue (now I'm stereotyping!). No one's ever got too hurt for too long though.
In general, I love it. I bring anecdotes home to my kids, I bring them in to the office sometimes, I think it's good they see all types.
Then again, it's Israel, so it's only Jews. So for someone who works in the same kind of company in another country, that would probably sound pretty homogeneous to them.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:11 am
very

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 3:31 am
All kinds- Jews, Arabs, whatever.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 4:49 am
I'm the only jewish female. There are some jewish males.
In America

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 6:23 am
I work in a healthcare setting in USA. Very racially diverse. There’s nobody I socialize with outside of work, but while I’m there it’s easy enough to find relatable topics, many are parents of young kids like I am.

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:33 am
Very diverse. We cant discuss politics or current events. I used to be the only sheitel wearing person until recently. We have a mix of men and women, all different races, cultures and religions.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:49 am
I'm in Israel and I'm one of the few non-Russian speakers in my job and the only native English speaker. We all get along pretty well. Russian speakers have a reputation for being very anti-religious, but out of approximately 50 people, there are only 2 that I'd consider anti-religious, and there are like 5 who keep Shabbat.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 7:57 am
Not at all.
I’m a Software engineer in central nj.
I’m typically the only female on the team. Now there is one other female in QA
there is very little racial or cultural diversity. Not that they don’t want it - it just doesn’t happen.

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:12 am
Extremely diverse. Most people (including me) choose not to discuss politics at work. No stereotypes.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:52 am
Diverse with respect to what?

Age?
Religion?
Race?
Hobbies?
Politics?
Hair color?
IQ?
Height?

And please explain why you chose the answer you did as the primary area of importance.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:11 am
Definitely “diverse” thought it doesn’t include many white and straight folk. As a straight white female I'm definitely the minority. I’d say more than half the staff is gay/queer and we have black, Hispanic and Asian staff. Everyone is treated equal for the most part. Besides me. Given my “privilege” I have to look the other way for everything (which I don’t mind) but I’m over scrutinized if I look at someone the wrong way (which I do mind).

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:13 am
Diverse. Different ages, genders, races, religions and ethnicities etc. The business is owned by a frum guy.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:54 am
I work in a frum school so no diversity there.

leah233

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:00 am
I've been partly self employed and partly working for a firm one or two days a week for many years.

In most places I've worked both the employer and client base were reflective of the owners nationality and the demographics of the businesses physical location. I've worked with a mix of all groups

My private clients are also a mix of all groups.

The experience changed my perception about most other groups very little but I did come to understand more nuance between them.

Last edited by leah233 on Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I worked at a chasidishe agency. The employees are extremely diverse. The irony is that several Jewish employees sued the agency for discrimination because the agency treats the non-Jewish employees better than the Jewish employees.

What are you trying to get out of this thread?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics