Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Need to make a decision regarding schooling

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:41 pm
Ok...I need to make a decision regarding schooling for my 14 year old daughter. She is going into 8th grade, in Full Time Special Education. I think I know what I need to do, but I am still torn and worried about my choice.

Option 1: Public School
She is currently in a public school. This year was really tough with the Covid closures. There was very little support from the teachers, no live Zoom classes. Only assignments loaded into Google Classroom. There's a good chance school won't open again, and I'm not sure how they will structure any additional long term school closures...nothing has been officially announced yet. I don't want to send in-person, but I have heard there will may be a virtual option. However, the virtual option could very well be the same set-up as the Spring school closure.. She's already lost so many skills, and I'm worried she'll lose even more. The teachers and administrators absolutely love her though, and are always looking out for her. It would be very tough to say goodbye if we pull her out. Sad

Option 2: Cyber school homeschooling
I'm looking into a cyber school homeschool option for her. The obvious advantage would be live classes right at the beginning of the year, and not wondering if school will be closed. She'll be all set from the start of the year. Disadvantages are: they won't meet her in person and I'm not sure how well she will do with virtual classes. It could be a mess.
A huge advantage with this option is that we do not intend to send her to the public high school. We hadn't really discussed what we will do, but we just always have known public high school was not an option. We could use her 8th grade year as a trial run for cyberschooling and as a transition year if we decide to continue.

I am so torn and would appreciate your input!

Sebastian

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:42 pm
If you're in my, go with cyber schooling

amother
Black

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:45 pm
Where are you located and what is your Haskafa?
Can Sinai be an option?
Is P'tach still around?

I am sure that you have done your due diligence and then some. If your options are the 2 above, I think the virtual one will give you insight to high school, as it seems like that option is eventually inevitable. Remember, nothing is engraved in stone and you can switch her if something is not working.

Clearly I don't know your DD and how to best meet her needs.
This must be incredibly hard.
Wishing you hatzlacha and sending love.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 8:58 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
Where are you located and what is your Haskafa?
Can Sinai be an option?
Is P'tach still around?

I am sure that you have done your due diligence and then some. If your options are the 2 above, I think the virtual one will give you insight to high school, as it seems like that option is eventually inevitable. Remember, nothing is engraved in stone and you can switch her if something is not working.

Clearly I don't know your DD and how to best meet her needs.
This must be incredibly hard.
Wishing you hatzlacha and sending love.

OP here: We are very much OOT. The local frum school can't meet her needs, and no P'Tach. She was enrolled in public school in 2nd grade, after many, many shailohs then and all along the way. We are yeshivish.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:51 am
I would try to get more information from the local school. I have one child in public school for special education and we have been told that if we need to do virtual school (or if you choose it) the program will be much stronger than it was in the spring. Also we are likely to be in a blended program. Special ed kids may also get more in person time. So I would see the district plan before deciding...

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 1:33 am
Op, no advice. Just wishing you much luck & harchavas hadaas in making this decision...

I’m in a similar situation- though very different. And we decided to go for homeschooling this yr. I’m really not happy that this is what it has come down to & quite nervous how it’ll work out. But I know that for this situation, medically, we made the right decision and hopefully it will just be temp and by next year we can go to mainstream.

imasinger

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:19 am
If it's a choice between home cyber schooling and public school, you can go with the home school and switch her back whenever you want.

They can't turn you down.

If she's on an IEP, you can also find out how they can fill their obligation to the IEP online. She doesn't have to be going the school to get the services. Particularly if everything is virtual anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics