Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tongue thrust in babies

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:05 pm
Hi there,

My son is 9 months old. He is cute and active, and is meeting his developmental milestones.

I'm concerned about th way his tongue hangs out of his mouth, puppylike. I looked around on google, and I think his issue is called "tongue thrust ". It gives him a distinctly klutzy appearance.

His tongue hangs out all the time- not only when at rest. Is this an issue that fades with time? Is any intervention advisable at this point?

He does not use a pacifier.
His muscle tone is good otherwise.

Thanks!

(I'm logging off for now, will follow up later tonight)

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 9:07 pm
Does he have allergies/ a cold/ enlarged adenoids? Does he snore or sound congested sometimes this would cause this. Is it just that his tongue hangs out or he has an open mouth posture even at rest ?

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 10:08 pm
My son has this . He's 14 months old and had laryngomalacia. Our speech therapist explained to us that he does this because it helps him open up how airway and breathe better when he doesn't have to deal with his tongue in his mouth. Don't know if your son has anything like that but maybe something to explore

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 09 2020, 11:59 pm
Thanks, amothers above.

Other than his tongue hanging out, there is nothing else going on... he breathes easily and quietly,.
I just read up on laryngomalacia, and its not a good fit.
Copper, what symptoms did your baby present with that caused you to seek out therapy?

If anyone has any insight, please share.

amother
Puce

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:09 am
It is a common feature of down syndrome and occurs because of low muscle tone. If that is the problem with him speach therapy can help. You would need to strengthen the tongue muscles to help him hold it in.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 8:55 am
It could be they need to strengthen their oral motor muscles-things like drinking through a straw, blowing bubbles etc can help. Also massaging etc. Would recommend getting them assessed for support

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:49 am
amother [ Indigo ] wrote:
It could be they need to strengthen their oral motor muscles-things like drinking through a straw, blowing bubbles etc can help. Also massaging etc. Would recommend getting them assessed for support

There is no evidenced based practice that proves "blowing bubbles" will help to strengthen muscles.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 9:58 am
Thank you.

Does it make sense to get my son evaluated for therapy at nine months? He doesn't even have teeth yet!

I would gladly go that route, just don't know whether it's warranted, at this point...

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 10:03 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you.

Does it make sense to get my son evaluated for therapy at nine months? He doesn't even have teeth yet!

I would gladly go that route, just don't know whether it's warranted, at this point...

Yes most definitely. Where are you located?

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 10:34 am
I had that and it was never corrected and I still have it now and by now my teeth are all messed up because of it. Speech therapy can fix this but I have no time or money to put in.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics