Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why wouldn't a restaurant use the vaad?
Previous  1  2  3

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 10:53 am
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
Just curious. Has the new hashgocha put out their general standards besides calling themselves mehadrin? Will it automatically be everything pas yisroel? Will they require cholov yisroel only if a place is dairy?

I don't go by the by standard of I know them personally they are tzaddikim and I trust them blanket. I know many tzaddikim that are still not well versed in the intricacies of hashgocha on a restaurant. So please only respond if toy know concrete information.

I believe it is pas Yisrael, chalav Yisrael, and they are makpid on yashan.

amother
Violet

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:00 am
amother [ Pewter ] wrote:
In good old fashioned English it’s called MONEY/ CONTROL
nothing else, yes they use all shiny words to make it seem religious but it’s all bs.
The stories that go on with these agencies are hair raising.

Any establishment that lost its certificate due to real kashrut issues is very public knowledge.

Indeed.

The restaurant industry was hit particularly hard by the pandemic, with eat-in closed, and a lot of people not ordering in due to economic concerns. Its hardly surprising that restaurants would want to cut costs, but not quality, by signing on with a less expensive hecksher.

I haven't read the letter, but it sounds like it says, in essence, that there's nothing particularly wrong with the restaurants and new hacksher, but we'd prefer it if all restaurants paid us, so you should boycott them. That's pretty offensive, IMNSHO. I would like everyone to use my services as well, but that has nothing to do with the quality of what others offer.

As to the larger question, some vaads try to control non-food related matters, like whether there can be TVs, and what they can show.

So don't jump to the conclusion that there is a food-related issue.

imasoftov

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:11 am
I (only) once saw a hechsher announce that a restaurant was leaving their supervision for another, named the other hechsher, and wished them well.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:11 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
1. This sounds like a general statement about kashrut agencies, not the 5T Vaad specifically. Meaning, not every Vaad has hair raising stories.
2. No one lost certification. The three establishments that were mentioned in the letter CHOSE to go with an agency other than the Vaad. There’s a big difference.

Regarding 2. I know that they didn’t loose certification, maybe I wasn’t clear, I meant that everyone would have known that there was a kashrut issue if there was one. And since no one said anything, you can be sure that there wasn’t an issue.
Regarding 1. Since we were discussing 5t Vaad that’s what I meant, but....

I’ve heard too much.

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:32 am
https://5townscentral.com/2020.....onse/

This is a response from M5T, the new hashgacha, after the Vaad put out a scathing letter, which was then changed to a much more vague one, and also included signatures.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:52 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
https://5townscentral.com/2020/07/09/new-hechsher-mehadrin-5-towns-pens-letter-in-response/

This is a response from M5T, the new hashgacha, after the Vaad put out a scathing letter, which was then changed to a much more vague one, and also included signatures.

Thank you.
I will make sure to patronize these stores when I’m in the area.

As a side note, which restaurant has the best dairy and meat food?

Ema of 5

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 11:58 am
Thank you.

I don’t really eat out much (or order in) so I’m not the best person to ask.
That being said, I just took my daughter to upper crust (dairy) on central ave, and I was very impressed. It’s like an upscale pizza place.
There’s also Crawford’s, coffee bar, central perk....
Our go to meat place for celebrating is prime bistro. My favorite take out type places are Carlos and gabby, and mikes burgers.

amother
Cerise

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 12:56 pm
Thank you.

I second the recommendation for Upper Crust - their pizzas are really good, as are their pasta dishes and salads. Lots of interesting choices and combinations.

I also really enjoyed Cork and Slice - it's more upscale/expensive than Upper Crust but nice for the occasional date night. It's also dairy.

amother
Aubergine

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 3:31 pm
As someone from the food industry business, I've had good experience and horrible experiences with different kashrus organizations other than kashrus standard related. For example we had one certification who we considered dropping a few times because of the chillul hashem they were creating with our non jewish workers - we tried talking to them a lot about this but they were so arrogant and even horrible to us. They are horrible to deal with in other areas too. Truth we had no choice but to keep them since the are a community hechsher and people would question the removal of the certification. Please keep in mind that not all kashrus organizations act like this.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics