Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is soap with milk protein in ingredients ok with meat dishes

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:40 pm
I bought a new type of soap, with milk protein in ingredients, is that ok with meat dishes or to wash hands in the meat sink?

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:43 pm
I don’t know the answer but I only use soap with a hechsher in the kitchen.
It’s very possible that soap without a hechsher has non kosher ingredients.

singleagain

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:10 pm
My guess is that it's batul / not something a dog would eat and should be fine. But this is really a question for your Rabbi

amother
White

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:25 pm
I would assume not.
My grandmother had bar soap for her kitchen (years ago before soap was artificial and made form chemicals)
One had blue veins and one had red veins. "Real" soap is made with fat (thing hydrophobic/hydrophilic properties- 9 grade bio) and the dairy was made with milk and the meat with animal fat.
Soap being made with protein/fat is also how we had "Jew soap "after the war, which people in the DP camps would collect money to purchase so that they could say Kaddish and bury.

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 3:54 pm
Strictly speaking, there is no reason to require that soap be made from kosher ingredients at all. It is inedible, and you don't want the flavor on your dishes. There is a custom to be machmir by only using soap made from kosher ingredients (as in, not pig fat) but it doesn't extend to milk and meat issues.

banana123

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 4:06 pm
I have to check with DH, but wouldn't it be nosein taam lefgam and therefore fine?

ETA: It's a discussion in Taz and Pri Megadim, and the bottom line is that it's fine, because it is nosein taam lefgam. If you really want to be machmir, use water that isn't yad soledes bo.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:31 am
thanks everyone
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen