Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Time sensitive! Any RNs or MDs can eck dosage for me please!

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 4:29 pm
Hi
My DC tested positive for strept a few days ago, weighs 34 KG (75 lbs) and had been prescribed 500 mg capsules of Amoxacillin to take 1 capsule every 8 hours so a total of 1500 mg a day.
I already spoke to the pediatrician's office who I am unhappy with for unrelated reasons and they weren't very helpful at all.
I am going to ask another doctor Monday, and have an in person visit Tuesday, but right now I am stuck with not knowing what to do. DC has been having concerning symptoms and before getting all concerned I just want to rule out that they might not be experiencing side effects from being given a dose of Amoxacillin that's too high.
When I googled it seemed the recommended dose for that weight is closer to 750 - 850 mg per day, not 1500 mg. But I don't trust Dr. Google.
Any info appreciated!

flmommy

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 4:31 pm
Call the pharmacist and ask

Stars

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 4:41 pm
Pharmacy can help or urgent care

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 4:50 pm
From Pedi Calc:

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 4:51 pm
Just to be clear. I’m not giving you medical advice. I’m sending you the information I got from a publicly available app. It would be unwise to give you medical information over the internet.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:17 pm
The typical dosage for strep is much lower than the dosage for an ear infection for example.
I’m pretty sure that 500mg twice a day is the adult dose for strep.

https://www.drugs.com/dosage/a.....gitis

1500 a day sounds high but not any different than what he would get if it was an ear infection.
I don’t think it’s a dangerously high dose. Just maybe high for a typical strep. Maybe your dr had a reason to give a high dose.

amother
Firebrick

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 5:23 pm
What are his concerning symptoms?
Side effects of amoxicillin include stomach ache and diarrhea.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:28 pm
Thanks for all info. I am getting medical advice. The doctor I like wasn't in today have to wait until Monday it's not emergency to the point ai can't wait until then just need to knoe for now if I should cut the dose a bit over shabbos.
This was helpful.
Gut shabbos!

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 6:37 pm
45 mg/kg/day is the normal dose of amoxicillin for strep. (It’s higher for ear infections.)

34*45=1530

500 mg 3 times per day sounds right to me.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:10 pm
I've never seen amoxicillin prescribed for three times a day. It is typically prescribed for twice a day for strep. So that seems odd to me. I'd probably give 500mg twice a day.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:23 pm
Quote:
I've never seen amoxicillin prescribed for three times a day. It is typically prescribed for twice a day for strep. So that seems odd to me. I'd probably give 500mg twice a day.

(Sigh)

This is why you shouldn’t be seeking medication advice on imamother.

amother
Green

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:32 pm
amother [ Orchid ] wrote:
Quote:

(Sigh)

This is why you shouldn’t be seeking medication advice on imamother.

Sigh yourself.

I'm a pediatric nurse and have seen amox prescribed for strep hundreds of times. I've never seen it given as a three times a day dosing. Typical dosing for amox is BID (twice a day). Based on my experience, 500mg BID is a typical dose for a child of this weight. There is a range of dosing and some like to prescibe on the higher end and some on the lower end, but 1000mg a day should do it.

OP can take any and all advice with a grain of salt and do what she wants.

Eta: somehow I thought the child weighed 45 lbs. I see just I misread and the child is 75lbs. In that case, the higher dose is likely more accurate. I still wouldn't have prescribed it as a three times a day dosing, but ok.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Jul 10 2020, 7:39 pm
Quote:

Sigh yourself.

I'm a pediatric nurse and have seen amox prescribed for strep hundreds of times. I've never seen it given as a three times a day dosing. Typical dosing for amox is BID (twice a day). Based on my experience, 500mg BID is a typical dose for a child of this weight. There is a range of dosing and some like to prescibe on the higher end and some on the lower end, but 1000mg a day should do it.

Yes, I’m a pediatric nurse who has done the math. 34kg*45mg/kg=1530mg. That’s 500mg TID, exactly as was prescribed. Just because you “haven’t seen” it prescribed in 3 doses doesn’t mean it can’t be prescribed that way.

Very unwise of you, as a nurse, to recommend anyone adjust the dose prescribed without consulting with the prescriber.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:23 am
I’m not saying this Dr was right, (I have no medical background) but I’ve in the past wondered on what seemed to me like an overdose, but then the dr explained to me why they were treating the strep like they would a pneumonia.
So don’t be afraid to question! But respectfully Smile

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:34 am
My underweight 12 year old daughter was prescribed the same dose as me ... I’m 47 and overweight!
Sometimes it’s necessary... it’s for 10 days. It’s not an overdose.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:54 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
Sigh yourself.

Eta: somehow I thought the child weighed 45 lbs. I see just I misread and the child is 75lbs. In that case, the higher dose is likely more accurate. I still wouldn't have prescribed it as a three times a day dosing, but ok.

Btw, regarding the amount of times per day dosing, a pediatrician shared with me that in some countries (I believe she’s Russian) the dosing for strep is once a day. She said it’s usually split up to be easier on the stomach, but if it would make it easier for us to give the abx just once, she allowed us to give one big dose.

*we didn’t do it

**this obviously doesn’t apply to all abx and for all infections.
I’m no doctor, but I’ve done on my own lots of research on different antibiotics, bacteria’s, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics