Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
"Good Middot" Shows for Kids

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 2:44 am
I've been really tired lately, and I've been using The Magic School Bus as a babysitter a lot. Sad I don't like my kids watching a screen, but I've drastically needed some rest.

I like the natural science aspect of the show, and it's wonderfully clean, but I find myself picking and choosing between episodes, because the characters don't always speak nicely to each other - they sometimes put each other down, or are rude to each other, or fight, or yell. I don't want that to be a model for my kids.

I would like a kid's show which models good Middot and social behaviour. Ideally, a Jewish one which promotes Torah and mitzvot, but at least let the script promote manners. When I was a kid, I loved audiotapes like The Longest Pesach, and The World of Middot.

Are there any visual parallels to those kinds of stories?

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:22 am
How about Marvelous Middos Machine?

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:27 am
mamma llama wrote:
How about Marvelous Middos Machine?

Isn't that also an audiotape?

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:28 am
Also, Wee Sing videos aren't "Jewish", but definitely promote manners.

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:29 am
Rappel wrote:
Isn't that also an audiotape?

They have videos too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuh-gl498-c

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:33 am
Oh, really! Thanks! I'll take a look!

I remember the evil dude being really frightening. Doesn't he kidnap a kid? My kids couldnt even watch a show featuring Haman. They don't like when people yell.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:36 am
I am a huge fan of My Little Pony. It is the sweetest show, nothing scary, and the ponies are all nice. They have little conflicts sometimes, and they always work them out in the end. The whole show is about having good middos and being a good friend, and many of the writers are Jewish.

I used to watch it with DD all the time, and as an adult I enjoyed it a lot!

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:38 am
Rappel wrote:
Oh, really! Thanks! I'll take a look!

I remember the evil dude being really frightening. Doesn't he kidnap a kid? My kids couldnt even watch a show featuring Haman. They don't like when people yell.

Oh, yah, Dr. Doomshting... Maybe check it out first to see if it'll be too scary. He shows up at the end of the first one and in the second one.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:38 am
mamma llama wrote:
Also, Wee Sing videos aren't "Jewish", but definitely promote manners.

Awww, we had a Wee Sing videotape when we were kids! It was great! I didn't even think about that!

I remember there used to be an illustrated Chanukah video also - "Lights." It really made me love the Aleph Bet.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:39 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I am a huge fan of My Little Pony. It is the sweetest show, nothing scary, and the ponies are all nice. They have little conflicts sometimes, and they always work them out in the end. The whole show is about having good middos and being a good friend, and many of the writers are Jewish.

I used to watch it with DD all the time, and as an adult I enjoyed it a lot!

Now I have to check it out. Smile DD and DS love the neighbor's horses

aquad

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:40 am
May be too young for your kids, but I'm a huge fan of Daniel Tiger. It's a spin-off from Mister Rogers, and it's all about emotional regulation.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:41 am
Rappel wrote:
Now I have to check it out. Smile DD and DS love the neighbor's horses

They have boy and girl ponies, so it's not just a "girlie show". As a matter of fact, guys who like the show are called "bro-nies". LOL

mamma llama

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:47 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
They have boy and girl ponies, so it's not just a "girlie show". As a matter of fact, guys who like the show are called "bro-nies". LOL

That's so cute! Very Happy

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 4:48 am
Daniel Tiger is amazing!

Catcher

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 5:39 am
I definitely recommend Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood as others have suggested. If you have Netflix then check True and the Rainbow Kingdom. Its also about doing good deeds, being a good friend, being unselfish and sharing.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 7:49 am
Llama Llama is usually pretty good on middos and is on Netflix. But it does have some holiday episodes that we skip over, like Halloween and Xmas.

essie14

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:20 am
Catcher wrote:
I definitely recommend Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood as others have suggested. If you have Netflix then check True and the Rainbow Kingdom. Its also about doing good deeds, being a good friend, being unselfish and sharing.

My DD LOVES true and the rainbow kingdom.

Rappel

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:32 am
Thank you for all the great suggestions! I'll check them out. Smile Does anyone know of any more Jewish shows? I figured there must be something out by now, but I didn't know what.

Btw, if it makes a difference - DS is 4, DD is 2.5. DS is the sensitive one.

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 5:13 pm
Uncle Moishy made me want to pull my hair out, but it promotes positive ideas and Mitzvos.
613 torah Avenue - may be too mature for your children's ages.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 5:35 pm
You might be surprised but my kids love audio only shows despite also having watched stuff in the past. They can combine it with coloring or nothing at all. Try the scoop radio app and listen to scoop kids. You can also find Jewish stories on Spotify or Amazon Music, pretty sure there’s a thread or two with stories recs for those apps.

As for Jewish videos, I splurged on a Toveedo subscription dying quarantine. My kids love the Wonders of Hashem, Mitzva Boulevard, and Bella Bracha shows. There are also lots of other shorter shows, like Rabbi B and Mitzventions.

I would also recommend Daniel Tiger for Middos learning. My kids also love Dreamtopia but that is more girly (Barbie franchise)- every episode focuses on a midah like working together, having patience, etc.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics