Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Chicken In Honey and Orange Sauce

Amarante

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 12:03 pm
Despite honey being in the title, this is not unduly sweet since the sweetness comes from the orange juice with a small amount of honey and a lot of interesting complementing spices

Chicken In Honey and Orange Sauce

Excerpt From: Alex Hollywood. “Alex Hollywood: My Busy Kitchen - A lifetime of family recipes.” Apple Books.

I have a soft spot for combining sweet and savoury flavours, so when I had this dish at a dinner party held by an Algerian friend some years ago, I went straight home and wrote up what I thought was in the recipe. I’ve been cooking it ever since, but – depending on what ingredients I have – it always changes slightly. You can use lemons instead of oranges, or even satsumas, and maple syrup works well if you don’t have any honey. The sticky caramelised orange pieces are delicious: eat them with your fingers, like it’s half-time at a football match!

Serves 4–6

4 oranges, unpeeled and quartered
juice of 2 large oranges
2 cinnamon sticks
1 tbsp clear honey
½ tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
8 assorted skinless chicken pieces (e.g. thighs, legs, breast on bone)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
sesame and/or poppy seeds, to garnish

Place the orange quarters and half the juice in a saucepan with 1 of the cinnamon sticks, the honey and cinnamon. Heat until the oranges start to caramelize slightly and the liquid becomes syrupy. If it reduces too much, add a little water, then set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a flameproof casserole dish and fry the onion until translucent. Add the chicken and the remaining cinnamon stick along with the ginger, turmeric, salt and pepper. Stir well and cook on a low heat for about 8–10 minutes, colouring all over.

Stir in the remaining orange juice and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Season to taste, then transfer to a wide serving dish and arrange the carameliszed orange segments over the chicken. Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and serve.

Variation: Try adding walnuts or almonds instead of the seeds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey