Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
HPV in Israel and abroad.
Previous  1  2

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 7:45 am
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
If you have HPV, don’t you want to spare your children the same? HPV can cause deadly cancers in men as well.

My point was that if the child decides to become s-xually active they can get the vaccine when it becomes relevant. That's what I tried to do. The only reason it didn't work out for me is because the $$$.

If the vaccine didn't have side effects, no problem, but since it has side effects I wouldn't do it routinely for my children. My oldest is a toddler, but I plan on being pretty open talking about s*x. So instead of just having her get the vaccine at 14, I'd let her know that if at any point she thinks it might be relevant for her, I'll pay for it (I couldn't afford it at 21, but could now).

Same with birth control and condoms. I'm not going to buy all of my sons a box of condoms on their 13th birthday (I've heard of completely secular parents who do this!) But I would explain what condoms are for, and let them know that if it becomes relevant I would prefer they use condoms than risk STDs.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:52 am
amother [ Aubergine ] wrote:
My point was that if the child decides to become s-xually active they can get the vaccine when it becomes relevant. That's what I tried to do. The only reason it didn't work out for me is because the $$$.

If the vaccine didn't have side effects, no problem, but since it has side effects I wouldn't do it routinely for my children. My oldest is a toddler, but I plan on being pretty open talking about s*x. So instead of just having her get the vaccine at 14, I'd let her know that if at any point she thinks it might be relevant for her, I'll pay for it (I couldn't afford it at 21, but could now).

Same with birth control and condoms. I'm not going to buy all of my sons a box of condoms on their 13th birthday (I've heard of completely secular parents who do this!) But I would explain what condoms are for, and let them know that if it becomes relevant I would prefer they use condoms than risk STDs.

The difference is that if your son decided to become active at 16, he could easily procure condoms without involving you. Heck, he could even buy them at 13 without involving you.
If your dd decides to become active at 16, I doubt they would give her the shot without involving you. What if she wouldn't want you to know? The kuppa barely lets 16 yr olds show up to the family doctor alone, I doubt they'd give her a shot. Plus you say it costs 1500 nis, so she'd have to involve you anyway.

How many 16 yr old girls will approach their frum mother with the request to get the shot? Doesn't matter how open you are with your kids, at some point teens want their privacy, especially when it comes to things like this.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:11 am

Is this a joke? What teen would remember "oh wait, I want to go have 2ex, let me first go get that vaccine I should have gotten years ago". Can't Believe It
And what about rape? There would literally be no time before that.

Anything can happen. Its always better to be prepared.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:16 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Is this a joke? What teen would remember "oh wait, I want to go have 2ex, let me first go get that vaccine I should have gotten years ago". Can't Believe It

Literally me, though I was 21 so not a teen. I wasn't the super responsible type.

Again, if the vaccine had no side effects that would be one thing. But to risk side effects because of the chance of getting raped?

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:17 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

This. You put it so much better than I did Smile

Not only what you said, but what teen is going to say, 'oh wait, need to tell mom I'm about to have s@x so she can get me that shot'

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:19 am
Literally me, though I was 21 so not a teen. I wasn't the super responsible type.

You were more responsible than you give yourself credit for.
Most teens are in a good spot if they manage good b/c. They aren't going to be proactive about getting some shot they missed in junior high. Especially not if mom needs to be involved.

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:23 am
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
The difference is that if your son decided to become active at 16, he could easily procure condoms without involving you. Heck, he could even buy them at 13 without involving you.
If your dd decides to become active at 16, I doubt they would give her the shot without involving you. What if she wouldn't want you to know? The kuppa barely lets 16 yr olds show up to the family doctor alone, I doubt they'd give her a shot. Plus you say it costs 1500 nis, so she'd have to involve you anyway.

How many 16 yr old girls will approach their frum mother with the request to get the shot? Doesn't matter how open you are with your kids, at some point teens want their privacy, especially when it comes to things like this.

You have a point, but the same is true for birth control pills. I don't think anyone would advocate giving all teen girls BC just so they don't have an unwanted pregnancy in the event that they become s-xually active.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:56 am
In the US a 16 yo absolutely can get a shot without parents.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 11:35 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

Also, even if she does everything right, her dh could have a past or be unfaithful. These things happen.

amother
Ruby

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 11:36 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
In the US a 16 yo absolutely can get a shot without parents.

Most 16 year old don’t think about the future.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics