Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Should I go for a BCBA? Anyone here in the field?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:24 pm
BCBAs please help me make my decision.
I completed my Master's a while ago and am considering going for my BCBA.
I have heard conflicting reviews about the job and opportunities available (upstate).
Can any of you tell me about your job, how pressuring/intense is it? Do you have to work after school hours? Any BCBAs from Monsey here?

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:40 pm
I’m a para for ABA therapy. I was discussing with the bcba possibly going back to school. Her response was that it’s a very intense demanding job. Se works all night on it. Also said it’s more rewarding for me then her because I actually see the progress she only hears about it

TwinsMommy

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:52 pm
as a mom of 2 kids in ABA therapy it seems to me that the BCBA gets paid more than the rBT but for a much more paperwork intensive job. If you want to come up with the programs and input them into the software and help the rBTs learn to run them, be a BCBA. But if you want to be 1:1 with the child and DO ABA with the child, be an rBT or para. And I can see how it would be time intensive because the BCBA needs to stop in on all of her clients during therapy time to watch her people in action and see the children in action.... but she also needs to be the behind the scenes gal doing the STUFF (just this week our BCBA printed out progress reports on both kids, met with me and my husband and both rBTs for an hour and a half, changed a few programs in the software, printed out some helpful stuff for us, came up with two new plans we'll start implementing next week, set us up with a social skills group....... And she has a zillion other clients, a toddler and husband, and is pregnant with #2. I don't want her job. Smile

Of course as the mom, I filled out two new Vinelands, am watching parent training videos, sat in on the team meeting, and am emailing back and forth with her about the new plans.... that's just for my kids' ABA stuff---- I don't get paid for any of that. So maybe I do want her job just so I can do this stuff but earn an income for it. hah!

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 5:59 pm
I am considering this now (stayed a thread but got no response..)

As far as I understand to do this now I’m ny state you need an LBA (yearlong 18,000 certificate program) instead of just BCBA as it was till now (6,000, 6 months). That part is stressing me out!

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 6:10 pm
I am in school for this now. I say only do it if you really enjoy it. There are many fields out there. I love ABA and this is a profession I enjoy (minus the billing)

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Jan 10 2019, 7:22 pm
amother wrote:
I am in school for this now. I say only do it if you really enjoy it. There are many fields out there. I love ABA and this is a profession I enjoy (minus the billing)

Are u doing BCBA or LBA ? Can I ask through which program?

amother
Papaya

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 10:08 pm
Anyone have any idea what the going rate per hour is for bcba in NY? What setting? Home? School?

amother
Scarlet

Post Sat, Jul 11 2020, 10:38 pm
I don't know about the field but as a parent I am very grateful for the ABA therapist ds had.

She did an amazing job and even though he has ASD he has always been in regular classrooms and most people wouldn't even guess it.

It's very rewarding and changes people's lives if they start early enough, so I think you are all amazing for doing or thinking of going for this!

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 3:47 am
Anyone have any idea what the going rate per hour is for bcba in NY? What setting? Home? School?

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 6:55 pm
Bump

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 7:48 pm
About $100 a billable hour. Bcba only goes to child about once a week so usually do it on the setting that the para works in.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 8:46 pm
You can work as an ABA para without any experience and see first hand what it is like.

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 9:34 pm
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I’m a para for ABA therapy. I was discussing with the bcba possibly going back to school. Her response was that it’s a very intense demanding job. Se works all night on it. Also said it’s more rewarding for me then her because I actually see the progress she only hears about it

Fellow para here, do you know any agencies that need paras during camp hours in Brooklyn

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 4:25 am
Also considering going for LBA (NY) its 24k + 15,000 supervised hours...who here went that route and is happy that they did? Seriously considering but would do it if it will be financially worth it. I obviously also love this field..If you are an LBA please chime in...tysm!

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 5:08 am
What does a bcba earn on average?

keeplearning

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 7:07 am
If you're in NY most jobs will be working for an agency which bills health insurance and that would require an LBA. However may be able to work with a limited permit for a a year while earning your LBA.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics