Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Tips for moving to a new community during COVID? Anxious

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:42 am
Hi everyone—I would love to know if you have any tips for moving to a new community during COVID, in terms of making friendships or connections in the new community. We’re in our early 20s and don’t have kids yet.

I’m just feeling a little anxious about making the move and finding a place in the community. Maybe I just need to accept that at least for a while, there really won’t be much connection and that’s okay? I don’t know. Thank you for your help!

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:43 am
Does your community have any WhatsApp groups or Facebook groups? I know that my community does and we have a chesed committee to help new families get settled as well as a welcoming committee. and it probably will be a little bit more difficult to meet people given the situation.

amother
Cyan

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:59 am
If the community is walkable, you could probably meet lots of people just by strolling around on Shabbos affer lunch. Because we are still social distancing, we and many others who are not having Shabbos guests now do our Shabbos schmoozing out in the front yard. People stop by to chat all the time.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:48 pm
Thank you both for your replies. There are WhatsApp groups, I guess I just feel a little awkward about participating in them when no one knows me hahaha. And great idea about meeting people walking on shabbos. Thank you!!

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 8:54 pm
we used to go to a park and met people at the park
start a tehillem group on zoom and meet five people at a time in backyards

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 9:03 pm
I feel for you Op!
A challenging time to move.
Hope all goes well beyond your greatest expectations!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 10:21 pm
Thank you!!

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:52 pm
Can I turn the question around on you? I oversee the Welcoming Committee for my shul, and we have a few families moving in this Summer. What would you like to see? What do you think we could do that would make the move easier during this time?

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:56 pm
Walking around the neighborhood is a good start. We have lived in our home a few years already but since Covid started we have met so many more neighbors. It helps that my DH is very outgoing and asks everyone on the street he doesn't recognize, "who are you? Where do you live?" Me, I'd just smile and keep walking. But thanks to his friendliness I think we really do know ALL of our neighbors pretty well now.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you both for your replies. There are WhatsApp groups, I guess I just feel a little awkward about participating in them when no one knows me hahaha. And great idea about meeting people walking on shabbos. Thank you!!

I totally understand feeling awkward, but I think there's nothing wrong with introducing yourself in one of these groups, and maybe reference the COVID situation but you look forward to meeting everyone once things settle down.

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:58 am
I'm facing the same situation, and we're haredi and don't use whatsapp. I think my best bet as a mom is heading to the park (we're in Israel, parks are currently open).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics