Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Do you consider vaccination to be a controversial topic? IRL
Previous  1  2

Stars

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 11:49 am
No. The only time I got into a heated argument about vaccines irl was when a anti vaxxer forced me to give her my opinion (I said I don't want to discuss it and she asked me another 4 times to please tell her what I think).
I told her what I thought and immediately regretted not walking away when she asked me the third time in a row.

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:17 pm
Absolutely controversial. It's a shame that most people see the world divided into those who follow the mainstream medical world and vax vs. those who follow quacks and do not vax.
There are people who vax but still have questions about the safety. There are people who vax, but don't start their kids until they are a little older and stronger. There are people who vax but spread the shot out a bit more than what the CDC recommends. There are people who vax selectively, thinking there is a risk associated with vaccines and it's a risk that makes sense to not get polio, but maybe not worth taking to not get chicken pox. And there are those who truly believe vaccines are potentially dangerous but can't deal with their children not being able to go to mainstream schools or be social outcasts so they reluctantly go ahead and vaccinate their kids. There are many who know that vaccine injury is very real but still think it's worth it for the greater good.

It's not so black and white and yes, it's quite controversial. Remember also, it is possible that you only THINK you don't know anyone who thinks vaccination is controversial because they are afraid to speak out and let you believe they are just like you! People we assumed were so "mainstream" and following CDC guidelines have after years opened up to us, explaining circumstances that lead to their decision to stop vaxing their kids. It was shocking. We don't really know what other people do privately and quietly.

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:39 pm
I have some family members who feel that the numbers are inflated and the crisis is overblown and others who barely leave the house due to fear of germs and that every sneeze is an ominous sign. I am squarely in the second camp.
I at first hated Cuomo but now I feel like we can at least walk around without looking at everything as a huge danger. I thought that Florida was safer but they are breaking records and are going to be questioned if they enter NY through one of our airports. Maybe they made even bigger mistakes than Cuomo did although he will go down in history for sending contagious people to nursing homes. Of course, it's all political because Florida is a red state and NY is liberal.
As far as the vaccine, apparently there is research on a specific vaccine for the elderly and I would imagine that many elderly people will be interested in it but I can't blame low risk people for being afraid of a vaccine that is being rushed onto the market.

RuralIma

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 12:48 pm
I think anything that is concerning the health and safety of kids can become controversial when both sides are adamant that they are correct and the other side is endangering the lives of children. I know some people who are anti-vax and we just don't talk about it. I only know because they mentioned it and I just ignored it. It's not something worth losing a friendship over. I'm sure there are more people in our homeschooling circles who are anti-vax but it's very much a don't ask, don't tell kind of thing.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics