Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Worried mother

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 12 2020, 10:14 pm
Worried mother

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:15 am
As a mother I don't know, but I can tell you what I remember of my experience in switching schools at about that age. I can't remember why I switched, but there must have been a reason. It was an adjustment but I have a fairly easygoing personality and I just went with the flow. There were some cliches that I didn't get into as I hadn't been with them earlier, but I knew some girls already because they lived near me etc, so I was okay. I think boys are less into that anyway.
Academically, it was a much better school and I learnt so much more-I would joke I learnt more after 1 year there than I had in all the years previous. The only thing I found hard was some of the kodesh material they covered didn't match up-for instance their yahadus curriculum wasn't the same, so I covered some stuff I'd already done, and some stuff I never covered.
But overall I was fine and I have no resentment or issues as a result.

Be prepared it will take time. The more preparation you can do, the easier they will find it. If they can meet their rebbe before, so it's not totally strange. Setting up playdates with some of the kids they'll be with so that on the first day they already know people. Maybe the school can set them up with a 'buddy' so they have who to ask about stuff and just as they find their way around. Finding out the timetable so they know what happens when.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:46 am
In my community, kids switch schools around grades 4-6 frequently. There are a lot of reasons - a better "fit," academic program, social issues, etc etc. My own child switched in fifth grade and got used to the new routine and kids soon enough. Your son sounds like he is confident and has good social skills, so that will help.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 6:59 am
If your DS is generally happy and easy going, he will do just fine. If he tends to be anxious and a bit negative, then it will be much harder.

Right now, the idea of a new school is exciting. It's an adventure, and he's not seeing any difficulties. You can explain all day about things that might come up, but until he actually sees them it won't sink in that things will be different.

When reality hits, you need to put a positive spin on all the changes, and at the same time be supportive and empathetic to anything he is struggling with. He needs to know that you will understand if he complains, and that you will help him work through it.

There may not be any problems at all. He may meet his new best friend on the first day, and that will make everything go smoothly. His new rebbe might be really fun and engaging.

Daven for the best!

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 8:01 am
We did it and have no regrets. Kids are very adaptable.
Unless your child suffers from anxiety or has other mental/ learning difficulties they should be fine.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 8:03 am
It would be a good idea to try to get a class list and see if anyone lives near you or if there's someone they may already know and arrange a play date or the likes before the school year begins. Will help them ease into the social part.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 8:05 am
I changed schools in the 5th grade. I was miserable in the previous school - it did not fit with my family's values and I felt like an outsider, I even felt picked on in certain areas because I didn't fit in to that school. Switching schools was one of the best things my parents did for me. I made new friends and was so much happier in the new school.

I think if the underlying reason for the change is for the child - because the child is unhappy - then it's a good thing to do. But if it's to suit the parents - I.e. if the child is happy where he/she is but the parents want the change - I'd be more cautious.

zaq

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:30 pm
Children are resilient. Few ten year olds are so set in their ways that they can't adapt to a new school. For goodness sake, ten is still young enough to move to a different country and learn to speak the language 100% like a native.

Not to mention that it's good for a child to get used to meeting new people and making new friends. This is a process that will go on over and over throughout life. What do you think happens when a kid goes to summer camp, moves to high school after elementary, to out of town yeshiva, to beis medrash, to kollel and into the working world? He adjusts, that's what.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:57 pm
Deleted

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 13 2020, 1:58 pm
Delete
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children