Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Door with One-way Mirror :D

Do you have a door with a one-way mirror and one-way window?
Yes  
 0%  [ 0 ]
No  
 82%  [ 29 ]
Not yet, but I want one  
 17%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 35

mamma llama

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:40 am
I'm going to start off by saying I seriously love imamother. I finally have somewhere to share all the random thoughts that pop into my head!
Here's what popped into my head today Smile

You know those doors that have a one-way mirror and one-way window? (From the inside, it's a window where you can see the outside, and from the outside, you only see your reflection.)

Would you buy one if you could? (Why or why not)

I personally would because it would be pretty funny to watch people fixing themselves up in front of the mirror, getting ready while they wait for me to answer the door! Very Happy
Also, then I wouldn't need a camera system or to ask who's by the door, because I can clearly see...

BA

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:09 am
I don't have one it sounds cool

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:25 am
Mamma llama I’ll be following this, because I just love reading about your awesome, random thoughts & I can use some entertainment Very Happy

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:20 am
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....5a290

Simple and cheap

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:42 am
Our shul has one - I’ve actually been on a few shuls with them.
I always feel so bad for the men on the other side we can see their actions close up and they forget...
But the lighting has to be planned correctly for it to work.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:45 am
sounds great but wouldn't a door with a mirror one way or otherwise be too easy to break?

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:50 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
sounds great but wouldn't a door with a mirror one way or otherwise be too easy to break?

Many doors have glass inserts.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:56 am
right windows it may depend upon the thickness of glass and security

like in cars as well

anyway its a cool idea

singleagain

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:29 am
If your going to install it in the bathroom... Make sure it's the right way! 😂🤣😂🤣

zaq

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:05 pm
It's actually a TWO-way mirror; a conventional mirror is a one-way. It depends on one side being darker than the other. On the lighter side, it's a mirror; on the darker side, it's see-through. if there were ever a time when the lights were out in the hall and on in your apt, folks in the hall would see into your apt. If you live in a house, the interior would be on view at night when your lights are on. Read the amazon ad carefully: It says specifically during daylight hours this film functions as a mirror when viewed from the exterior.

The way it works is that the silvery coating is extremely thin and perforated, iow there are spaces between the coating molecules, small enough to give the impression of a solid sheet. On the more brightly-lit side, it reflects the light so that one can't see inside unless one puts one's eye right up against the surface. on the darker side, enough light comes through the spaces to make the outside visible.

In a conventional mirror, the silvery coating is thick enough to make the material opaque.

You can see this effect using a mylar-coated snack bag or a plastic "silver" spoon. Hold the bag or spoon up to a light source like a lamp or window and you'll be able to see through it.

this from the details on a similar product: This window tint film only provides good privacy during daytime while the exterior glass shows the mirror effect. When the inside light is stronger than outside, the mirror effect will be reversed. Remember to draw curtain during night.

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:10 pm
We have a removable film on our windows that does this. I hate having the blinds closed during the day. We can see out but if people look at the windows they look like a mirror from the outside. We just have to remember to close the blinds at night.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:41 pm
Agreed that it doesn't always work, and you have to be ok with that. It is often lighting and angle dependent.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:23 pm
I always say that when I am queen of the world every classroom will have this so that parents and professionals can observe without being seen!

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
I always say that when I am queen of the world every classroom will have this so that parents and professionals can observe without being seen!
im guessing you're not a teacher.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:45 pm
singleagain wrote:
If your going to install it in the bathroom... Make sure it's the right way! 😂🤣😂🤣

The first house we owned there were sliding glass doors in the master bath that went out to a small lanai. There was so much glaring sun coming in on that side of the house that we decided to tint our windows. We were just going to darken them a bit but the window tint guy talked us into one that looked mirrored from the outside which would give us more privacy. What he failed to inform us is that you only have that mirror look in the daytime. When it's dark out but you have the lights on inside people can see right through from outside. We were walking around naked in our bathroom with no shades drawn for weeks before we realized this. embarrassed

amother
Jade

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:05 pm
I once went to a nightclub with unisex bathrooms. The stall doors had this. It's realllllllly hard to sit in a toilet and pee when you can see everyone outside the stall.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:51 pm
I studied at a speech and language clinic where we sat on one side of the rooms, and observed sessions from a one way mirror. I remember one of the clients getting distracted by some movement behind the mirror - poor kid, must have been a bit confused by that wondering

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:53 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
The first house we owned there were sliding glass doors in the master bath that went out to a small lanai. There was so much glaring sun coming in on that side of the house that we decided to tint our windows. We were just going to darken them a bit but the window tint guy talked us into one that looked mirrored from the outside which would give us more privacy. What he failed to inform us is that you only have that mirror look in the daytime. When it's dark out but you have the lights on inside people can see right through from outside. We were walking around naked in our bathroom with no shades drawn for weeks before we realized this. embarrassed

O.M.G.

There's a hotel in NYC that was built with floor-to-ceiling windows and clear glass bathroom and shower walls. No curtains anywhere. The idea was to bring the outdoors in and be able to see the gorgeous view while you do your thing. Why nobody considered that passersby on the outside would be able to see in is a mystery, but suffice it to say that in short order people were recording and posting on social media. There are now thick curtains on the windows; I don't know about the bathroom walls. As Puck said: what fools these mortal be!

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:24 am
I once belonged to a shul that had their whole entryway like this--big glass doors surrounded by panels of glass that were all like this. I found it extremely uncomfortable to walk up the steps toward the entryway with all the mirrored glass. I get that they did it for security, or maybe energy efficiency? but it definitely didn't make for a welcoming entrance. (Didn't help that once inside, there was still a gauntlet to pass... to get to the women's section you had to pass the entrance to the men's section--almost directly opposite the door to the women's bathroom!---and then you entered the women's section from the front. No way to enter unobtrusively, grand entrances only...)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics