Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
How come my sushi never tastes like the storebought kind

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:56 am
I use real sushi rice. I rinse it first. after its cooked I mix in rice vinegar sugar and salt. so why does it still not have that store bought flavor?
anyone know someone who works in a sushi place? do you have a good recipe?

Success10

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:28 am
I sprinkle some ginger powder in the rice, I think it makes a huge difference.

MiriFr

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:02 am
Add more rice vinegar. Also put in some sugar and lemon juice. Some oil so it has the right texture

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:16 am
Keep experimenting with the ratio or vinegar and sugar. I find that I need to add a lot more sugar than you think you need, in order to get it right.

Room temperature has a lot to do with it too. It won't taste right if it's straight from the fridge, but it won't taste right if it's as warm as the room, either. Sushi places have a very special cooler set to the optimum temperature.

If you are really dedicated, buy a little bar refrigerator. Ask your local sushi place what temperature they hold their sushi at. Don't rely on the refrigerator settings. Put a thermometer in there and go by the reading.

Sushi is definitely a science. Chefs have to go to school for years and years, and apprentice with masters, before they go to work in a restaurant. Whoever said that the average housewife can just "whip it up" lied to you, so don't take it too hard when your sushi isn't perfect.

I have yet to figure out how to keep the nori from getting soggy and falling apart, and I've been trying to get it right for years.

(The whole time I grew up, my dad worked for a Japanese company. We ate a LOT of sushi at family business meetings. The boss and his family would meet with my dad and us. It's part of their culture. My mom took Japanese cooking classes, but the results were never anything we would serve to his boss!)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:03 am
Hmm so I need to be adding more sugar and stuff to taste , ill try the ginger powder ,
And then I need to get the rice cooked and cooled.
Does anyone have a specific recipe for what ratios of seasoning to rice?
And then is there any seasoning at all in the veggie part ?
It's crazy it should seem like such a simple thing to make if you follow a recipe. Cook rice chop veggies roll. But yet somehow it isn't. Thanks for your detailed response FF.

Frumme

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:43 am
I've never heard of adding ginger powder, lemon juice, or oil to sushi rice. It might be tasty but probably won't taste like store bought!

Sushi is based around its rice. Su means rice and Shi means vinegar, so if your sushi isn't coming out right, start there.

Rinse your sushi rice 3-4 times, until most or all of the cloudiness is gone. This removes excess starch.

If you can, make it in a rice cooker for cooker for consistent results. You can put a piece of kombu seaweed into the rice cooker while it's cooking. This might be the flavor you're missing.

While the rice is still hot, pour it into a large (preferably bamboo) bowl and mix with your seasoned rice vinegar. I'd use store bought seasoned rice vinegar until you get your own formula down (no shame in it, it's designed to give you the flavor you need!). If you're making your own, you'll need to mix all the salt, sugar, and vinegar together first and then blend into the rice. Use a rice paddle to fold it all in together and spread it out without squishing so that it all cools down quickly. You might see sushi chefs taking a hand fan to cool down the rice! Sometimes if you don't mix in the vinegar mixture correctly or if you don't let it cool down evenly, it can taste off.

If you add oil, it probably won't have the right consistency or stick to itself nicely, which is what you need from sushi rice.

Other ideas if you're still having issues: use a different brand of sushi rice or rice vinegar. You'll have more options if you visit your local Asian market.

simcha2

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:48 am
Rinse the rice. Drain. Add the water and let it sit for at least an hour before cooking (this makes it sticky, which is what you want).

After cooking cool for 10 minutes in pot. Move to a non metallic bowl. Mix in 2T Seasoned Rice vinegar per cup of uncooked rice. (So if you used 2 cups of rice, add 4 tablespoons of seasoned rice vinegar). Mix well. Taste. Add a little more vinegar if needed. Leave to cool.

avrahamama

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:48 am
Frumme wrote:
I've never heard of adding ginger powder, lemon juice, or oil to sushi rice. It might be tasty but probably won't taste like store bought!

Sushi is based around its rice. Su means rice and Shi means vinegar, so if your sushi isn't coming out right, start there.

Rinse your sushi rice 3-4 times, until most or all of the cloudiness is gone. This removes excess starch.

If you can, make it in a rice cooker for cooker for consistent results. You can put a piece of kombu seaweed into the rice cooker while it's cooking. This might be the flavor you're missing.

While the rice is still hot, pour it into a large (preferably bamboo) bowl and mix with your seasoned rice vinegar. I'd use store bought seasoned rice vinegar until you get your own formula down (no shame in it, it's designed to give you the flavor you need!). If you're making your own, you'll need to mix all the salt, sugar, and vinegar together first and then blend into the rice. Use a rice paddle to fold it all in together and spread it out without squishing so that it all cools down quickly. You might see sushi chefs taking a hand fan to cool down the rice! Sometimes if you don't mix in the vinegar mixture correctly or if you don't let it cool down evenly, it can taste off.

If you add oil, it probably won't have the right consistency or stick to itself nicely, which is what you need from sushi rice.

Other ideas if you're still having issues: use a different brand of sushi rice or rice vinegar. You'll have more options if you visit your local Asian market.

So you add a drop of veg oil into the rice cooker. And also a drop of sesame oil into the vinegar mixture. Otherwise everything is as above.

The best sushi is with warm rice. Not hot and not cold.

Also you might want to try making hand rolls and seeing if that gives you better results. It's less smushed, takes less skill and I think better tasting.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:16 am
I bought this recently: https://www.amazon.com/Wooden-.....098X9

I call it "sushi for dummies"!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking