Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking for a new community right wing modern orthodox
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:43 am
Hi!

I am looking for a community to move to. I would consider us right wing modern orthdox- or just plain frum. I am looking for a community with an established elementary, girls high school and boys high school. A place where you get a lot of land and a nice size house for a smaller amount of money.Where tuition is very little.
Can anyone help?
I k'H have a bunch of kids so I need to be very confident in the place before I pick up and go.I would be able to check out the community in a few weeks.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:49 am
Richmond, VA. It’s like YU-ish. Houses are around 400, and you get like 10,000 square feet of property. Tuition is free after your 2nd kid. There is a co-ed elementary, and a separate girls and boys hs. And there is an excellent preschool.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:01 am
sounds great- I am looking for separate elemntary though

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:02 am
Chicago ticks a lot of those boxes but not all.

groovy1224

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:03 am
Can you specify what you mean when you say smaller amount of money? What would you say your price range is? That will probably help narrow down your responses.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:03 am
My friend in South Bend sounds a lot like you. She got a really nice house for very little with a lot of land. They also have tuition vouchers. Its a really nice community.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 11:14 am
smaller amount for tuition- bigger breaks- like 3-4k per kid for elementary and hs. B'H I have a bunch of kids and tuition is very hard on us being in the trip state area.

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:00 pm
Sorry, but I don't know of any places with tuition of 3-4k per child, especially for high school. Even Lakewood is higher than that. There may be some chassidish places in that range, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. Perhaps look into places that offer vouchers, like Cincinnati and Cleveland.

mha3484

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:03 pm
There has been talk here that the Ohio vouchers may under go a lot of changes. I would be careful to move there if you will be relying heavily on that since it may change considerably and you will find yourself on the hook for whatever the community standard tuition rates are.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:10 pm
Cleveland?

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:11 pm
Seattle, WA, but housing prices inside the eruv are INSANE and hard to find. Otherwise, the community is really lovely. I don't miss Seattle, but I miss a lot of people there.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:36 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
smaller amount for tuition- bigger breaks- like 3-4k per kid for elementary and hs. B'H I have a bunch of kids and tuition is very hard on us being in the trip state area.

Can you work at their school? I know RYNJ offers a nice discount.

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Apricot ] wrote:
Can you work at their school? I know RYNJ offers a nice discount.

They don't give jobs to everyone who waltzes in. Not to mention that Bergen county is pretty expensive.

OP, do you have to be in the US? Is aliyah an option?

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:51 pm
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Richmond, VA. It’s like YU-ish. Houses are around 400, and you get like 10,000 square feet of property. Tuition is free after your 2nd kid. There is a co-ed elementary, and a separate girls and boys hs. And there is an excellent preschool.

That's amazing for free tuition for 3rd child and up, but how do they afford paying teachers, rent, and other expenses if tuition is free after second child?

amother
Red

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:57 pm
The cost of housing including taxes in South Bend is a tiny fraction of what you have probably been paying in the tristate area (I assume you mean NY metro). I have been told that schools are very affordable, but I don't know the numbers. The community leans to the right, although there is a mix. Not far from Chicago. It's worth a look.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 7:36 pm
mha3484 wrote:
There has been talk here that the Ohio vouchers may under go a lot of changes. I would be careful to move there if you will be relying heavily on that since it may change considerably and you will find yourself on the hook for whatever the community standard tuition rates are.

They're on for this year and I cannot envision it will change so drastically that people already on won't be grandfathered in.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:50 pm
You may fit into a school in Lakewood for elementary schools, and maybe you can get a break and pay somewhere in the 4000 range (5000 is more likely), but high schools are more right wing and more expensive.

nylon

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:52 pm
That tuition level is very, very low. OOT communities typically *don't* have very low tuition unless you get vouchers especially in the MO/JPF schools. While I doubt that major changes to vouchers will be implemented in the very near future, I would not gamble on them remaining the same until your children finish school. Moving to obtain them could be risky.

You might also want to find out if a school is more generous with scholarships, and think about general income/COL issues that would impact what you had available to pay in tuition. If you can get jobs in Cleveland, for example, housing prices are quite reasonable.

saw50st8

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi!

I am looking for a community to move to. I would consider us right wing modern orthdox- or just plain frum. I am looking for a community with an established elementary, girls high school and boys high school. A place where you get a lot of land and a nice size house for a smaller amount of money.Where tuition is very little.
Can anyone help?
I k'H have a bunch of kids so I need to be very confident in the place before I pick up and go.I would be able to check out the community in a few weeks.

When we looked into moving out of town, we found that largely, tuition was the same or more expensive. Housing was potentially cheaper but salaries were lower.

Have you looked at Hillside NJ? You can get a lot of house for your money and you are right near JEC with access to other northern NJ schools.

You can also look at Baltimore but there really isn't a great MO/JPF high school and school prices are similar to NJ schools.

shaimac1

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi!

Can anyone help?

South Bend, Indiana has everything you are looking for and tuition could be free depending on income for K-12 and we have a day school that is separate gender grades as is common in a lot of voucher OOT communities besides Cleveland. Feel free to PM to talk more!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating