Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Dr Ditchek-Clear cases of reinfection in frum comm,new cases
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:16 pm
Bungalow colony amother here with an update:
So far it's been a week since the family came down with symptoms and 2 weeks since they came here from an out of town hotspot. So far, bh, NO ONE at the colony has any symptoms. One more week should give us a definitive answer whether antibodies work for 4 months at least (it's exactly 4 months since covid swept through Brooklyn.) I'll keep you posted.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:26 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
So far it's been a week since the family came down with symptoms and 2 weeks since they came here from an out of town hotspot. So far, bh, NO ONE at the colony has any symptoms. One more week should give us a definitive answer whether antibodies work for 4 months at least (it's exactly 4 months since covid swept through Brooklyn.) I'll keep you posted.

Are you all taking precautions around them or are you in close contact with them?

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:28 pm

We had a covid positive person in my neighborhood, no SD, full symptoms. B'h it's been a few weeks and nobody else got. I don't care if you want to call it herd immunity or something else, boruch Hashem right now it's not spreading. For now.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:52 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Are you all taking precautions around them or are you in close contact with them?

Nah, no one's in contact with them. They *were* near some people the first day or two when they werent feeling well bc they didnt think immediately it was covid; you know how you think it's just a minor cold, eetc. - but by day 3 they were like, this may be the real thing and went indoors. (they did not get tested.) Which is why I'm starting to breathe easier that so far no one else in the place has gotten sick even though they were exposed to them about a week ago. So anyway theyve been holed up in their bungalow for the past 6 days. I offered to go grocery shopping for them but they already have someone doing it for them. They're going a little stir crazy and feel a bit resentful bc they are already symptom free but the hatzalah member on the grounds is warning them to stay in for another few days. Bh so far so good.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Jul 20 2020, 10:25 pm
I rarely post anonymously but I have to do this for obvious reasons...
A close relative of mine is in a bungalow colony, where the owner lives in a different state -- a state that's a major hotspot now. They were debating whether they should come or not, and in the end decided to come. They didn't really quarantine, they came directly to the bungalow colony. (I don't think the NY quarantine rule was in yet.)
Well it's now 2 weeks since they got here, and.... the owner and his wife are both sick in bed. They did not get tested, and it might be something entirely else. But if it chas v'shalom covid.... well, I guess it'll be an interesting and terrible 'experiment' to see if others in the bungalow colony get it too. They are all from Brooklyn and almost all of them had it in March and/or have antibodies. So we may soon have our answer to whether people can get it a 2nd time and whether immunity wanes. Thankfully there are no elderly or immunocompromised ppl in the colony and the couple is not stepping foot out of their bungalow, so the chance of spreading is low but, well, it they may have been contagious before they had symptoms....
And here's your "other" answer, which is that if there's a 2nd wave in NY, it's coming from other states or countries (such as Israel, from where US citizens are allowed to fly in). Or just from the airport or airplane.

Another Coffee,
It’s been 10 days.
How are things at the bungalow colony?
Please keep us posted!

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:40 am
Ha! I was waiting for someone to ask.
So, full disclosure, I fudged some of the details to protect the people involved.
This wasn't a couple; it was four families, siblings, who flew in from Israel. They fly in every year.
One of them got sick, and pretty soon it spread among all four of the families. not all of them got sick. More like, one or two members of each of the four families got sick.
They quarantined themselves strictly. They've now been symptom free for over a week and finally came out again. It was such a relief.
And bh from the 80 or so families on premises, no one has gotten sick. There is also strep going around, so it would be hard to know if the small handful of kids/adults who were coughing last week had a cough, a random virus, or strep (some tested positive for strep). But on the overall, bh bh, life is going on as normal, and there is no outbreak, no second wave, just normal life.
To be fair, I dont know if what the Israeli guests had was Covid. It's likely, but they did not test. We had to be super cautious though.
Bh!!!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:02 am
amother [ Coral ] wrote:
Then they weren’t mentally stable beforehand. Normal people don’t lose their minds from being home, yes even with their kids. Better some antsiness at being copped up and bored than getting the virus or worse g’f

First of all, count your blessings that you don’t understand how staying home can actually have an effect on someone’s mental health.

Secondly, let’s say you’re right that they weren’t completely stable in the first place but were managing to lead normal lives. Are they not worth anything to you? Is their health less important than any other vulnerable population? Must they have a full breakdown in order to make you feel safe?

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:13 am
So, full disclosure, I fudged some of the details to protect the people involved.
This wasn't a couple; it was four families, siblings, who flew in from Israel. They fly in every year.
One of them got sick, and pretty soon it spread among all four of the families. not all of them got sick. More like, one or two members of each of the four families got sick.
They quarantined themselves strictly. They've now been symptom free for over a week and finally came out again. It was such a relief.
And bh from the 80 or so families on premises, no one has gotten sick. There is also strep going around, so it would be hard to know if the small handful of kids/adults who were coughing last week had a cough, a random virus, or strep (some tested positive for strep). But on the overall, bh bh, life is going on as normal, and there is no outbreak, no second wave, just normal life.
To be fair, I dont know if what the Israeli guests had was Covid. It's likely, but they did not test. We had to be super cautious though.
Bh!!!

Considering that they didn't test and considering that strep is also going around so there's no way to truly know what's going on it definitely was not any experiment for covid and I think it was silly to claim it was an experiment if people weren't going to test. I personally know stories of people who had presumed covid in March. Some had antibodies some didn't but also had definite exposure and now recently had new symptoms and tested positive. One was in a boy's yeshiva camp one some others in Brooklyn. Since people think it's ok not to test and just pretend they didn't get it it's making the situation harder for Drs to get a good picture on what's actually happening in the neighborhoods

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:21 am
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:
First of all, count your blessings that you don’t understand how staying home can actually have an effect on someone’s mental health.

Secondly, let’s say you’re right that they weren’t completely stable in the first place but we’re managing to lead normal lives. Are they not worth anything to you? Is their health less important than any other vulnerable population? Must they have a full breakdown in order to make you feel safe?

Only immunocompromised and elderly people are important, you should know that by now.

(Yes, I was being sarcastic.)

Every life matters. Of every color, age, size, financial ability, mental stability, or health level.

It can be very hard to remember that, especially when one set of needs appears to be pitted against another. But acknowledging one set of needs is NOT saying that the others are irrelevant. It is merely bringing attention to a specific one.

I'm glad I'm not in charge, because trying to actually ADDRESS the contradictory needs all at once seems like an impossibility.

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:20 am
amother [ Maroon ] wrote:
Considering that they didn't test and considering that strep is also going around so there's no way to truly know what's going on it definitely was not any experiment for covid and I think it was silly to claim it was an experiment if people weren't going to test. I personally know stories of people who had presumed covid in March. Some had antibodies some didn't but also had definite exposure and now recently had new symptoms and tested positive. One was in a boy's yeshiva camp one some others in Brooklyn. Since people think it's ok not to test and just pretend they didn't get it it's making the situation harder for Drs to get a good picture on what's actually happening in the neighborhoods

Well yeah. It's not a perfect experiment.
We do think it was likely Covid and not strep bc the timing made sense (exactly 10 days after landing from Israel) and they were not strep symptoms, they were covid symptoms. You can tell a difference in how the throat feels. and there were a few family members in each of the four families. Strep isnt as contagious as covid. You only catch it from drinking from the same cup, kissing, coughing on each other; covid is airborne and way more contagious.

carnation

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 11:35 am
I always think who knows if Hashem didn't send Corona nisoyan because how we acted to each other during the measles crisis. How about we try to be more understanding of each other's views and struggles during corona.

From Sarah Chana Radcliff:

It's up, it's down, it's on, it's off. It depends where you live and what you read. But one thing's for sure: we're all suffering from Corona Fatigue.

Every week there are new terms to describe our new experiences. Have you heard of "caution fatigue?" That's the one where, even though caution may still be required, we're too tired of being cautious to care anymore. Some are throwing caution to the wind, because it's become too tedious, too difficult and too mentally exhausting, to remain so stringent.

The danger may not have left, but our enthusiasm for protecting ourselves might have done so. "Ma, I don't care if there IS a bear on the front lawn; I'm tired of playing in the house these past 6 months. And besides, I'm not even sure if the bear is still there!" "I hear you Junior, but you know, it's hibernating season and the bear is probably just sleeping under the porch. Just wait! Any day now, he'll wake up and be right at the front door, pawing to get in to eat us!"

It's a hard way to live. We're all adapting in our own unique ways. It's still really one day at a time, let's wait and see. If there's no sign of the bear, some of us will tiptoe outside. Some will stay hidden under the covers behind sets of firmly locked doors. Some will make a barb-b-que on the front lawn.

As usual, we'll have to learn to respect each other's ways. We're living in a pool of uncertainty - as we always were. Nurtured by faith, we'll get through this as we've gotten through everything.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:45 pm
Well yeah. It's not a perfect experiment.
We do think it was likely Covid and not strep bc the timing made sense (exactly 10 days after landing from Israel) and they were not strep symptoms, they were covid symptoms. You can tell a difference in how the throat feels. and there were a few family members in each of the four families. Strep isnt as contagious as covid. You only catch it from drinking from the same cup, kissing, coughing on each other; covid is airborne and way more contagious.

True but covid like symptoms does not make for a covid experiment of reinfection. I know people in same family who were pretty sure they had covid and it ended up being negative and others who had really mild symptoms and it was positive so to imply this would be a good experiment isn't accurate. That was my only point.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:46 pm
I love that from SC Radcliffe.
I have caution fatigue. I'm done being cautious. I'm less cautious than I was before corona.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:49 pm
amother [ Taupe ] wrote:

Secondly, let’s say you’re right that they weren’t completely stable in the first place but we’re managing to lead normal lives. Are they not worth anything to you? Is their health less important than any other vulnerable population? Must they have a full breakdown in order to make you feel safe?

So how do you weigh elderly and immunocompromised vs mental health challenged people? Maybe the solution is to have more mental health help available as we aren't making the elderly younger or the immunocompromised have full immunity but mental health issues might be able to be helped to help them deal with the challenges life brings one of those challenges being Corona.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:52 pm
carnation wrote:
I always think who knows if Hashem didn't send Corona nisoyan because how we acted to each other during the measles crisis. How about we try to be more understanding of each other's views and struggles during corona.

Be careful there. when I dared to mention this possibilty I was attacked by imamother.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:55 pm

Many people don’t get symptoms.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
I love that from SC Radcliffe.
I have caution fatigue. I'm done being cautious. I'm less cautious than I was before corona.

That’s great. Pity the people around you who you don’t care about to protect.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 12:58 pm
amother [ Orange ] wrote:
Be careful there. when I dared to mention this possibilty I was attacked by imamother.

Or maybe it’s because of lashon hara? Or tznius issues? Or talking in shul?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:12 pm
Bh!!!

If they didn't test how would you know? If there were fevers you would assume it to be covid I think.

And if you are going on the assumption that they did have Covid, the people in their household who were symptom free would technically need to be isolated for 14 days since their last contact with the sick ones, so those people would still need to stay in quarantine, even once the 10 days have passed for the sick ones.
At least according to the rules I was given when I was sick but my family wasn't.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Jul 21 2020, 1:14 pm
We never know the reason or reasons why Hashem sent covid but it will certainly be a huge zchus, (given HOW hard it is..) for us, if we try long and hard to understand others' struggles and ultimately their different choices then what we are sure is "right" about dealing with covid.
Page 5 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics