Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Coronavirus Health Questions
Why are food boxes only for those with kids under 18?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 12:59 pm
bH, we have money to buy food. But others who may be 18 and up and living on their own or spouse who may have lost their job, or those with kids over 18 who may be in school, why shouldn't they get food? Why is this food only being given to those under 18, when some of those may not even need it and are just taking it because it's being offered, and meanwhile someone else may be struggling?

Stars

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:07 pm
It started when the city did not want to close the schools in march because some kids who rely on school meals will go hungry. So they came up with this program.

I've seen a lot of different programs give food for anyone who wants to take, especially in Brooklyn and Monsey.

penguin

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:08 pm
Also there's a lot of funding in other ways. If you are eligible for food stamps you automatically got a raise. If you qualified for unemployment or medical leave you got extra. If you're self employed you were able to apply for PPP.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:09 pm
It’s for those missing breakfast and lunch in school that would normally eat there.
Also those over 18 should’ve gotten 1200 stimulus money

soap suds

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 1:24 pm
Grab and go meals at the PS are for anyone, including adults.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:11 pm
someone told me that if a child turned 19 this year 2020, they can get meals for the entire 2020. Wonder if this is true.

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:28 pm
I've seen lots of families with little kids get massive boxes they don't need and I've seen my single neighbor who struggles mightily get nothing . What I have started doing is posting- does anyone have food to give away and most people are very happy to give and then I offer it to the single or to the young struggling couple with no kids to the older couple whose kids are all out of the house and they take it gladly. Perhaps you can find someone that can do that for the people you see may need. Match them up.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:54 pm
Chayalle wrote:
someone told me that if a child turned 19 this year 2020, they can get meals for the entire 2020. Wonder if this is true.

Interesting, my DS turned 19 in April but we stopped taking meals for him because of his age.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:58 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Interesting, my DS turned 19 in April but we stopped taking meals for him because of his age.

I don't know if it's true or not. I also stopped taking meals once my DD turned 19.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:59 pm
amother [ Oak ] wrote:
It’s for those missing breakfast and lunch in school that would normally eat there.
Also those over 18 should’ve gotten 1200 stimulus money

If anyone knows a way to get the stimulus check for my 19 yo, please let me know.
To my understanding, there was a crack in the system which Sem/college kids fell through.
If you are 18 or under, you get food and a $600 check.
If you are 19 and work/pay taxes you get the $1200.
If you are over 18 (I.e. 19) and a dependent so that your parents declare you on their taxes, you are not eligible for anything.

If anyone can advise me differently, I would love actually guidance and a way to obtain something for my DD.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:02 pm
It’s for the kids. The parents don’t get. So if lunch is pizza bagels they’ll send bagels, one for each kid. 4 packets of instant oatmeal. Etc.

If they send something family style then there would be a nough left over fo the parents. But that’s not who it’s intended for.

Wic works the same way.

amother
Maroon

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:03 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
If anyone knows a way to get the stimulus mine for my 19 yo, please let me know.
To my understanding, there was a crack in the system which Sem/college kids fell through.
If you are under 18, you get food and a $600 check.
If you are over 18 (I.e. 19) and a dependent and your parents declare you on their taxes, you are not eligible for anything.

If anyone can advise me differently, I would love actually guidance and a way to obtain something for my DD.

If she is in college then she should have gotten money from the college (at least CUNY gave money for qualified people so maybe it depended on the college so check with them). Also, the public school is giving out 3 meals a day for every person regardless of age so she can always get food from the city. She can also go to Masbia or other food pantries for food as well.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:03 pm
If anyone knows a way to get the stimulus check for my 19 yo, please let me know.
If you are over 18 (I.e. 19) and a dependent so that your parents declare you on their taxes, you are not eligible for anything.

If you claimed her as a dependent then you don’t get the stimulus money.

The rules aren’t fair. They’re not trying to make it look fair. These are all handouts and the powers that be got to decide who needed it more.

Edit: you should only claim her as a dependent if you’re actually helping her pay for living expenses. If she’s expected to make it on her own then you shouldn’t be claiming her as a dependent. That makes her ineligible for all sorts of assistance, not just this.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:05 pm

We actually just got a $500 check from DD's seminary, which is accredited as a college. Apparently students in college can get this thru their school to help with COVID expenses.

but if you are over 18 and not working and not in college, it does not seem like you get the stimulus money (e.g. yeshiva students and seminary students not in accredited institutions....)

I know my niece in Touro got similar (she's part time so it was less $$$ but still something.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics