Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Financial Help for Dental Emergency Treatment

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:59 pm
My son needs a dental procedure done. We can't push it off anymore and he's in excruciating pain.
The procedure is at least $5,000.
I don't know what to do.
I'm out of a job since Corona and struggle for basics. Anyone know organizations in NY that would help?
I don't usually take charity but I have to put my ego aside for my child. I'm heartbroken for my son in pain, and for my situation and to have to even write this post.
Thank you so much.

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:33 pm
Go to NYUs Dental school, they have urgent care for dental treatment. I think Columbia has as well.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:45 pm
Op, hugs! There’s a credit card called carecredit, that one could use exclusively for dental treatment and they give a certain amount of time to pay without interest

Sunny Days

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:13 pm
amother [ Mauve ] wrote:
Go to NYUs Dental school, they have urgent care for dental treatment. I think Columbia has as well.

But they’re not open for walk in now. You have to call first for a telehealth visit ($100 if they don’t accept your insurance) then if they feel you need to be seen you can get an appt.
There are many walk in dental clinics, depending on the work needed I wouldn’t necessarily trust all of them.
Good luck

tichellady

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 6:40 pm
Perhaps the rabbi of your shul can help. Wishing you the best

ddmom

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:09 pm
Can you apply for emergency medicaid? Maybe you're eligible if you don't have a job.
Medicaid will definitely cover dental work that must be done.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:15 pm
It's an emergency that has to be done within next few days and NYU cannot accommodate right now. Also can't get Medicaid for it right now.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:19 pm
Carecredit can spread your payments out for up to 12 months without interest. After that, you have longer but there is interest. Maybe call the dentist and ask. You can get started, and if you need help with the payments as they come up, you have some time to organize something.

We also had a dental thing that got really bad because of the lack of care during covid. I would keep all your records in case a program pops up one day to help with things like this.

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It's an emergency that has to be done within next few days and NYU cannot accommodate right now. Also can't get Medicaid for it right now.
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions.

Did you speak to NYU?
I actually spent my day in a dental clinic today in Harlem. We saw the senior resident who discussed the case with the attending, but no work was done, so can’t comment on that. The attending, dr. Laurie Hyacinthe was recommended by my pediatrician. We do have Medicaid though so not sure how they work if there’s no dental insurance.
I don’t have the phone number- but if you want to try them you can probably google it. They’re located on 1824 Madison.

If it seems interesting I can ask my ped for more info. She told us to come specifically on Tuesday at 1:30, so maybe that’s her day there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics