Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Do you have good friends in your neighborhood?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:17 pm
Do you have good friends ? Is your neighborhood very cliquey? Or are you just friendly with your neighbors ?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:24 pm
Funny your asking this. I bought a house when I was young. In my 20s before any friends were ready to buy. Ultimately a few of my friends ended up buying "together" and I always had fomo that I bought so young. Fast foward 10 years and im enough where I am. I love my house and I have nice neighbors. Im not super close with anyone but I cherish privacy so its kinda a choice at this point. A few months back my sister was looking to buy and I mentioned to my mother that I want her to buy with friends so that she doesnt end up in the same situation as me and my mother was very adamant that its not healthy for couples/families to move together. She said she likes it comes from major insecurities that one cant move on their own when its best for them that they are dependent on others and are just as likely to make a mistake when buying as I did because they are buying with peer pressure... obviously there is room to argue both sides...

RuralIma

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 2:26 pm
Just friendly. People tend to keep to themselves where we live, I don't think it's cliquey, I have a neighbor I would consider a friend but not necessarily a "good friend." We used to hang out, we would have her over for dinner, she has a key, we've been there for each other for last minute emergency help, etc but she's not someone I would talk to for personal things or call just to chat.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 3:29 pm
I'm a newlywed. My best friend lives in the neighborhood and ones of my neighbors is a friend from high school I lost touch with. Since we became neighbors I got a lot closer to her.

I want to meet more people since my best friend is an INTROVERTTT and I'm an extrovert and the rest of my good friends live in other cities.

I don't have other friends in the city. I have people I'm friendly with - but not good friends.

giselle

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:08 pm
Not cliquey at all just not my type. Friendly with everyone. I’m happy this way.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:19 pm
My bff lives in the neighborhood.
My closest Jewish Neighbor is a good friend too. There is one big clique here too. But I thank hashem every day im not in that crowd.
Bh I reallllly got lucky with my neighbors!!!!

fish

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:28 pm
My neighborhood is very cliquey. On shabbos the same ppl hang out in front of the same house every week. I don't feel comfortable joining b/c they have been together for years and I recently moved here

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:42 pm
Yeah how do u break into the cliques? I’m getting flashbacks of my high school days ?

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:48 pm
Since I was young it was hard for me to make friends. And I see, through almost 2 decades of being married, that as a married woman in a new community (quite a few years already) it has been almost impossible for me to make new friends. I have no good friends, many acquaintances and people I could possibly stop and have a quick chat to if I passed them on the street, but no close friends in my community. Its pretty sad.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Yeah how do u break into the cliques? I’m getting flashbacks of my high school days ?

Join neshei, volunteer, take a class, invite a neighbor over.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:29 pm
I’m in a clique we eat at each other’s homes for meals and have seders together but we are not good friends when my parents just passed away they did not call or come to my home for shiva right before the carona virus started

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:34 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Do you really want to???

silverlining3

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:41 pm
I have no-one from my side family in my town, so when I moved I tried searching for an apt close to a friend and a sister-in-law (they don't live far from each other). I bh found something inbetween and I'm ever so grateful. My friend showed me around the place for quite some time till I was comfortably going out by myself. I'm close walking distance to each of them.
Regarding neighbors, we all moved in more less the same time so no clique really. I'm closer with few more than with others, but no meals together.
Thank You Hashem

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 8:48 pm
amother [ Chartreuse ] wrote:
Do you really want to???

Nope not at all . It was half sarcasm.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:00 pm
I don't have any friends at all in my neighborhood. I live in Boro Park but all my friends from HS left (mainly to Lakewood and surrounding areas). It's hard to make friends as an adult, and the few times I tried they moved after a year or two anyway. Seems that's what people in their 20s do. I befriended a neighbor (not like friend but friendly and our daughters play together) and she just told me they're moving in August. I became friendly with my daughter's best friend from school mom, and they're moving to Connecticut before the next school year.

I'll probably move in a year or two anyway, but somewhere more OOT.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 9:02 pm
I sat hi to everyone, but good friends? not really.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:36 am
We moved in to a new sub neighborhood. We were the first to buy in a group of houses. All the other neighbors turned out to be much younger and more yeshivish than us. We are MO. I do have some good friends in the next group over but my immediate neighbors are a clique which I have no interest in joining. We are all polite and friendly but I wouldn't call them my friends.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:12 am
I moved 2 1/2 years ago and I do sometimes miss 2 close friends from my previous neighborhood (once in a while we will walk back to visit on a long Shabbos afternoon, but it's been way too hot lately....).

My new neighborhood is friendly but I'm not close to anyone like that. I do have an aunt nearby, and she often has her marrieds whom we are close to, and either we or they visit..so that's a big perk.

Other than that, I'm at a stage in life where I don't need the social interaction as much as I did when my kids were little. So I'm okay with it.

slushiemom

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:24 am
I've been in my neighborhood for 12 years. when we moved in, there were only about 9 couples our age range, and everyone was friendly - 2 of them became my best friends, and the 3 of us are as close as sisters and our kids as close as siblings to this day, and I'm grateful for them every day.

since then, the community has grown to the point where there are probably about 50 couples in our age range, and it's really really nice- everyone is friendly, many womens events and whatsapp groups, and there are enough ppl for everyone to find those they relate to the most, and enjoy spending time with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating