Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Help me get sleep
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:20 am
My baby is currently 3.5 months old and she still wakes up every three hours to eat. I tried so many things, feeding her for one minute only, pacifier, feeding more during the day etc. I'm at the end of my rope. She wakes up to eat and then it takes a while to get her back to sleep so I'm not getting more than two hours of sleep at a time Banging head
Any and all advice welcome. Thanks

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:24 am
We do the 12 hour sleep by 12 weeks method. Worked for my 2 so far bH. If u feed her less often by day and more at each feeding she will learn to wait as well as eat more so she will not need to eat at night. My baby is exactly 4 months and eats 4 times a day 8 oz each feeding. Sleeps 11 hours straight bH

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:28 am
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
We do the 12 hour sleep by 12 weeks method. Worked for my 2 so far bH. If u feed her less often by day and more at each feeding she will learn to wait as well as eat more so she will not need to eat at night. My baby is exactly 4 months and eats 4 times a day 8 oz each feeding. Sleeps 11 hours straight bH

I tried feeding less frequently but she just gets upset and it's harder to feed her. The 12 hours by 12 weeks did not work for us Sad

zoom

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 6:05 pm
have u tried pushing off with the dummy ? even if its just a short amount of time?
if you generally give the last feed at around the same time each day, track what time she is waking up and try to push off even a tiny bit each night. once you know she can go that little bit extra amount of time and shes ok with it, dont give her a feed until it has reached that time.

eg if the last feed of the day is 10pm and then she usually wakes around 1, try and push off that feed for a little bit even for 15 mins. so, for the next few nights push off till 1.15.

once she becomes ok with that you can slowly slowly try to push off longer.

it helps to have a set time for bedtime if you can.

also are you bottle or breastfeeding?

Woman of Valor

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 7:44 pm
How many oz total is she drinking during the day?
Formula or breastmilk?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:51 pm

How does this work with breastfeeding?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:52 pm
OP, Do you nurse her to sleep?
What’s her average wake time before bed?

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 8:52 pm
could DH do one feed?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:03 pm
Thanks for the responses. I breastfeed mostly with occasional bottles. DH doesn't do feeds at night because he works all day and I'd like for him to be well rested so he can concentrate (I'm home). I keep hearing about making sure to feed enough during the day but how do you keep track while breastfeeding? That might be the problem as she eats every hour or two so I suspect she isn't eating that much at each feeding so she's probably relying on night time feeds

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:11 pm
My five month old began sleeping decently about two weeks ago (thank You Hashem!!!)
I actually posted here for advice.
Seems like pumping for a few feeds is helpful. Lately I've been doing the last two pre-bed feedings from bottles- pumped milk. I also make sure to keep her up for a long time (3-4 hours) before bedtime, and to try to give her naps every two hours from when she wakes up.
But honestly these things did not help until she was ready. Daven!

ectomorph

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:17 pm
Is she gaining weight well and is generally healthy? Could be she just needs more time

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:25 pm
She's gaining weight well BH. I can see she's getting into more of a bedtime daytime routine but do babies learn this on their own?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:25 pm
amother [ Seafoam ] wrote:
My five month old began sleeping decently about two weeks ago (thank You Hashem!!!)
I actually posted here for advice.
Seems like pumping for a few feeds is helpful. Lately I've been doing the last two pre-bed feedings from bottles- pumped milk. I also make sure to keep her up for a long time (3-4 hours) before bedtime, and to try to give her naps every two hours from when she wakes up.
But honestly these things did not help until she was ready. Daven!

Maybe I'll try the bottles before bed. Thanks!

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:57 pm
Does she fall asleep on her own? Or is she nursed til asleep/almost asleep?

Bleemee

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 9:59 pm
Why is the baby eating every hour or two?

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, Jul 26 2020, 10:05 pm
My son also nursed every 2 hours until he was 4 months old. He had reflux and if he ate too much he would vomit his entire feeding.
But that did stop him from sleeping through the night. I worked on independent sleep/no sleep associations and that greatly reduced night wakings. Then I weaned off the remaining feeds one at a time.
Nursing a lot during the day will not prevent your baby from sleeping well at night, if anything it might help.
Is your baby still in your room?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 12:58 am
stillnewlywed wrote:
My son also nursed every 2 hours until he was 4 months old. He had reflux and if he ate too much he would vomit his entire feeding.
But that did stop him from sleeping through the night. I worked on independent sleep/no sleep associations and that greatly reduced night wakings. Then I weaned off the remaining feeds one at a time.
Nursing a lot during the day will not prevent your baby from sleeping well at night, if anything it might help.
Is your baby still in your room?

HOW did you do that? Can you give specific steps?

I'm not OP, but I also have a 3.5 month old baby who wakes every 3 hours to eat, plus every 1-2 hours for me to put her pacifier back into her mouth. I'm sooooo tired!

I tried feeding her more during the day but she refuses. She will only take maximum 3-4 ounces at a time, and she is a chubby baby B"H so I don't want to stretch her stomach too much.

My biggest problem is I can't get her to fall asleep on her own or without the paci. She falls asleep in my arms, then I transfer to crib. She wakes up 40 minutes later for her paci. I put paci back in mouth. She then wakes up 3 hrs later to eat, 2 hours later for paci, 1 hour later to eat... and now we're usually at 3-4 in the morning, so I bring her to my bed and hold my finger on her paci, which I desperately don't want to do!

I came on tonight to start a thread like this and I see someone else has the same problem.. but I really didn't see how to get the baby to fall asleep on her own, in the crib and to get her to stop crying for her paci. (I don't care if she uses her paci, but I just don't want to have to put it in all night long.)

Also... my baby is still swaddled in a swaddle-me blanket. Otherwise she ends up touching her face and knocking out her paci earlier.

Can anyone please help?!?! Im so desperate. And I'm really looking for specific, step-by-step suggestions if anyone has the time. It would be a tremendous chessed.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:34 am

This really doesn’t sound ideal for a baby at all. To be 4 months and only eat 4 times a day??
Please don’t do this.
The healthiest approach is to follow your baby’s lead. We don’t “ train” babies like they are dogs lol.
If your baby wants more to eat and at a different time it is healthy to follow the baby’s cues:
Imagine if I would say you can only eat 4 times a day and I would train you to do so.
For your babies sake please re-evaluate your method.
Good luck!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:38 am
I’d say to put her in her own room.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Jul 27 2020, 8:39 am
amother [ Seagreen ] wrote:
HOW did you do that? Can you give specific steps?

I'm not OP, but I also have a 3.5 month old baby who wakes every 3 hours to eat, plus every 1-2 hours for me to put her pacifier back into her mouth. I'm sooooo tired!

I tried feeding her more during the day but she refuses. She will only take maximum 3-4 ounces at a time, and she is a chubby baby B"H so I don't want to stretch her stomach too much.

My biggest problem is I can't get her to fall asleep on her own or without the paci. She falls asleep in my arms, then I transfer to crib. She wakes up 40 minutes later for her paci. I put paci back in mouth. She then wakes up 3 hrs later to eat, 2 hours later for paci, 1 hour later to eat... and now we're usually at 3-4 in the morning, so I bring her to my bed and hold my finger on her paci, which I desperately don't want to do!

I came on tonight to start a thread like this and I see someone else has the same problem.. but I really didn't see how to get the baby to fall asleep on her own, in the crib and to get her to stop crying for her paci. (I don't care if she uses her paci, but I just don't want to have to put it in all night long.)

Also... my baby is still swaddled in a swaddle-me blanket. Otherwise she ends up touching her face and knocking out her paci earlier.

Can anyone please help?!?! Im so desperate. And I'm really looking for specific, step-by-step suggestions if anyone has the time. It would be a tremendous chessed.

I believe the Wubbanub pacifiers are designed to help keep the paci in the mouth and decrease the amount of times you have to keep putting it back in.

https://www.wubbanub.com/about-us/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics