Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
North woodmere?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:56 am
This neighborhood is being suggested to me as a possible fit. Can you tell me about it? I am coming from Passaic (for specific reasons I need to move to 5t) and am used to it being a low key place.. meaning chilled, growing, nice pple and I can dress my kids in whatever.. is it at all comparable? Also I know housing is expensive at this point. Are there areas that are cheaper than others? Like “outskirts” that will eventually become more frum populated?

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:58 am
Cedarhurst

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:13 am
Please realize that when you move to a new community, it's really hit or miss. N. Woodmere and Cedarhurst both seem reasonable for you. Will you end up with nice neighbors? Will your husband fit in at shul? Will your kids have playmates on the blocks? Nobody knows. But at face value, N. Woodmere seems like a good idea. Hatslacha.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:17 am
I would not describe north woodmere overall as chilled. If you need to be in the 5 towns maybe look into inwood or old woodmere

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:43 am
north woodmere has grown a lot over the past few years and there really are all different types at this point. There is a right wing YU crowd, flatbush natives crowd, and more yeshivish chilled crowd (a few different shuls, obviously some overlap in each). It’s very welcoming place in general because everyone is relatively young and no one grew up here. Inwood is overall pretty low key, ppl super happy, although houses are generally smaller there. woodmere is huge and ppl love it although I heard easy to get lost there...

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:51 am
North Woodmere has gotten really Brooklyn-y in recent years. If you're more down to earth, I'd recommend looking into Inwood or Bayswater.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:56 am
amother [ Rose ] wrote:
North Woodmere has gotten really Brooklyn-y in recent years. If you're more down to earth, I'd recommend looking into Inwood or Bayswater.

Interesting.. so inwood sounds like a great community but housing is insane! Was looking to see if north woodmere would be a good alternative..Bayswater is not an option at this point.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:59 am
I live in Far Rockaway. From the way you describe yourself Old Woodmere might be a good fit for you.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:00 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I live in Far Rockaway. From the way you describe yourself Old Woodmere might be a good fit for you.

isnt woodmere really expensive? and high taxes etc?

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:06 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Interesting.. so inwood sounds like a great community but housing is insane! Was looking to see if north woodmere would be a good alternative..Bayswater is not an option at this point.

I live in Inwood and yes its a wonderful community. The housing is nuts and thats not what draws people here. A few houses just hit the market - one is in a great location and the price seems reasonable. It is the house on Soloff. There is a lot of overlap of crowd between North Woodmere and Inwood but Inwood is more laid back and right wing overall. North Woodmere housing is definitely better than Inwood. Hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:14 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
I live in Inwood and yes its a wonderful community. The housing is nuts and thats not what draws people here. A few houses just hit the market - one is in a great location and the price seems reasonable. It is the house on Soloff. There is a lot of overlap of crowd between North Woodmere and Inwood but Inwood is more laid back and right wing overall. North Woodmere housing is definitely better than Inwood. Hatzlocha!

I just looked at the soloff house. 679, but needs a nice amount of work! nuts! how do people do this?
I saw houses in nw that are a drop higher priced but bigger and need zero work...(still nuts but not as nuts) hence me trying to find out if that neighborhood can work.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I just looked at the soloff house. 679, but needs a nice amount of work! nuts! how do people do this?
I saw houses in nw that are a drop higher priced but bigger and need zero work...(still nuts but not as nuts) hence me trying to find out if that neighborhood can work.

Its an oxymoron. You definitely get more for your money with the housing in NW but Inwood is a simpler more down to earth crowd.

What schools do you plan on sending your kids to? Probably 80 percent of the boys here are in Darchei. You have a few families sending to Siach and YKLI. I can only think of one that sends to South Shore. The girls here are pretty evenly distributed among BBY TAG and BYAM.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:04 am
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Its an oxymoron. You definitely get more for your money with the housing in NW but Inwood is a simpler more down to earth crowd.

What schools do you plan on sending your kids to? Probably 80 percent of the boys here are in Darchei. You have a few families sending to Siach and YKLI. I can only think of one that sends to South Shore. The girls here are pretty evenly distributed among BBY TAG and BYAM.

You need to have a lot more money for all these inwood houses that need renovations.. bec renovations =cash.. is love a simpler crowd but I don’t see how inwood will work financially.. as for schools. Pretty sure we are going with tag and darchei.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
You need to have a lot more money for all these inwood houses that need renovations.. bec renovations =cash.. is love a simpler crowd but I don’t see how inwood will work financially.. as for schools. Pretty sure we are going with tag and darchei.

A lot of people here (Inwood) buy small houses and then a few years later they refinance with a construction loan and and make additions. Hatzlocha with whatever you decide!

Your kids will plenty of friends in either neighborhood if they are in TAG and Darchei.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
isnt woodmere really expensive? and high taxes etc?

Both Woodmere and North Woodmere have parts to them that are in district 14 and parts in district 15. The difference in taxes should be applicable to both neighborhoods.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:57 pm
I don't agree that you would like old woodmere or cedarhurst. I'm similar to your description and I live in cedarhurst and I'm trying to leave. I think north woodmere is a good choice. Inwood might be a good fit but the housing situation is very difficult.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:21 pm
I vote cedarhurst. You’ll get the most options in terms of housing. Really close to the train, central ave and shopping , many Shuls, kids who go to tag and darchei . Good luck !!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating