Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Do you look through the jewish magazines for shaimis?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:21 am
Do you look through the jewish magazines for shaimis, or set aside the week before when the magazine says that the prior week had shaimis?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:30 am
No, I double bag them and dispose of them. You can ask the question online.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:34 am
no
when my aunt was burried the rabbi put shaimis in the grave my cousins asked why
I did nit like this nad dont want it to be done when I am burried

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:03 pm
I don't get them but why would they do this? I get so frustrated when we get free things in the mail/newspapers with shaimos.

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:09 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
no
when my aunt was burried the rabbi put shaimis in the grave my cousins asked why
I did nit like this nad dont want it to be done when I am burried

I am sorry for the loss of you aunt.
I actually think it is beautiful to have shaimos buried with the person.
In the zechut of the Mitzvah of the shaimos being buried, your aunts neshama should have an aliya.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:59 pm
amother [ Peach ] wrote:
I don't get them but why would they do this? I get so frustrated when we get free things in the mail/newspapers with shaimos.

It increases the advertising potential if you can't throw it out.

Personally I make a point of not buying from companies who leave a Tefillat HaDerech magnet stuck on my door.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:56 pm
No, but it irks me that they have them.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:58 pm
zaq wrote:
No, but it irks me that they have them.
I think they should be more careful with the graphics and photos that they use. Some times they blurr the words, but inevitably many times the name of Hashem is the one not blurred. We rip out that page and put it aside.

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:14 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I think they should be more careful with the graphics and photos that they use. Some times they blurr the words, but inevitably many times the name of Hashem is the one not blurred. We rip out that page and put it aside.

Quite so. I assumed OP meant frum magazines as opposed to just plain Jewish ones. I wouldn't expect a secular Jewish publication to know or care about Shaimos, but I expect better from supposedly frum ones.

And I really, really, really detest, despise, deplore and abhor frum orgs that send out dinky little cards with a bracha or perek tehillim or random tefillah. Some will say something to the effect of "this card bears Hashem's name, treat it accordingly" or dispose of respectfully or something--as if a nonfrum person would know what "respectful disposal" is--but many don't.

Quit generating Shaimos! I have no desire for dinky little cards with a single bracha on them, but now I'm stuck with them. Had I a garden I'd bury them, but a flowerpot doesn't do it. I'm not about to shlep a little bundle of papers every time I go to a levaya--most of the time I'm not going to the cemetery, anyway, and if I am, taking the shaimos bag along is seldom going to be in the forefront of my mind. So my only solution is to bring them to my shul--which charges for the privilege because the cemetery charges them. So thanks for nothing, well-meaning tzedakas.

And have these tzedakas ever considered that not everyone on their list is frum , and those who are not are highly likely to simply toss the shaimos cards away with the rest of their junk mail, right in the trash with their eggshells and chicken bones? Even frum people who know about Shaimos throw out junk mail unopened.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:47 pm
R Shlomo Z Auerbach said double bag it and you can put it in regular garbage

zaq

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:29 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
R Shlomo Z Auerbach said double bag it and you can put it in regular garbage

genuine shaimos eg siddurim, or stuff like text of divrei torah?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 3:40 pm
zaq wrote:
genuine shaimos eg siddurim, or stuff like text of divrei torah?

Not siddurim and other seforim; they must be taken to the cemetery. Magazines have ads and articles about politics, recipes, etc so the divrei Torah is not the majority of the magazine and the magazine is made for temporary use. A bigger problem is homework papers with entire p'sukim on them because they are created only for learning.
If an envelope comes in the mail with shaimos that nobody plans to use, I think that it can be put in the bag with the frum magazines. I think that it only becomes shaimos if it is used to daven or learn from but there are lots of articles on frum websites concerning this or ask your Rav.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics