Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
What are magazines looking for?
1  2  3  4  Next

Have you ever submitted a writing to a magazine?
Yes, and they accepted it  
 30%  [ 33 ]
Yes, but they rejected it  
 20%  [ 22 ]
No, never tried  
 49%  [ 53 ]
Total Votes : 108

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 14 2020, 10:36 pm
I've been trying to submit short fiction stories to Binah and Ami and my writing keeps getting rejected. "Non-biased" parties tell me that I write well, but I'm not so sure anymore. These magazines don't give feedback on what they liked or disliked about my writing, so I don't know how to improve my next piece! Sad

Has anyone here had their submissions published that could give me advice on what they look for when it comes to fiction stories?

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 12:04 am
Are you on soferet? You should talk to Ann on there.

Most people get rejected unless they know exactly what the magazines are looking for, style wise, word wise, them wise. They also need to be a certain length. Ask them how long their short stories are or essays.

I've had a couple things accepted but 90% of what I sent is rejected. I don't have energy anymore to lose the rights to my own pieces of work right now too.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:21 am
You need an option for partial success - having one or two pieces accepted, but mostly getting rejections.

amother
Green

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 4:04 am
My mother wrote about my grandmother after she passed away to the Jewish press and it was published this was thirty years ago

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 4:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I've been trying to submit short fiction stories to Binah and Ami and my writing keeps getting rejected. "Non-biased" parties tell me that I write well, but I'm not so sure anymore. These magazines don't give feedback on what they liked or disliked about my writing, so I don't know how to improve my next piece! Sad

Has anyone here had their submissions published that could give me advice on what they look for when it comes to fiction stories?

I voted submitted yes and accepted but the truth is, I've had more rejected. But I couldn't vote twice.
Before content, I assume it's tightly written and proofread?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 4:30 am
Nobody can guess unless the editor says what they're looking for. They kept two of my works for over a month debating if to publish them but rejected anyway. I asked about one and they replied that they'd had a similar style a year ago (I never read the published work with the similar style). A very weak reason if you ask me. Otherwise they don't explain and it's frustrating.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:52 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Are you on soferet? You should talk to Ann on there.

Most people get rejected unless they know exactly what the magazines are looking for, style wise, word wise, them wise. They also need to be a certain length. Ask them how long their short stories are or essays.

I've had a couple things accepted but 90% of what I sent is rejected. I don't have energy anymore to lose the rights to my own pieces of work right now too.

How do you join?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:54 am
Elfrida wrote:
You need an option for partial success - having one or two pieces accepted, but mostly getting rejections.

You're right, but I don't think I can edit the poll...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:58 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I voted submitted yes and accepted but the truth is, I've had more rejected. But I couldn't vote twice.
Before content, I assume it's tightly written and proofread?

Definitely proofread and proofread. I felt that my stories were tightly written - unique-ish plot, quirky characters, no holes left unanswered.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:26 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How do you join?

Send an email to soferet+subscribe@googlegroups.com and cc Yocheved at yocheved.frischman@gmail.com

Tell her who you are and a bit about yourself and how you heard of Soferet.

She also needs to know if you wish to receive individual emails or daily digest or abridged, or wish to check online (and receive no mail)

If you don't hear anything for over a week then email Yocheved directly.

It's over 1000 of writers, editors, translators all frum. Most of the writers, editors, and publishers of magazines and book companies are on there.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:35 am
I’ve had a few short stories published but also quite a few rejections. Don’t take it personally. With writing, rejection is just part of the process.
Ami has a short story contest running now (deadline today I think). Maybe try submitting something there?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:14 am
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
Send an email to soferet+subscribe@googlegroups.com and cc Yocheved at yocheved.frischman@gmail.com

Tell her who you are and a bit about yourself and how you heard of Soferet.

She also needs to know if you wish to receive individual emails or daily digest or abridged, or wish to check online (and receive no mail)

If you don't hear anything for over a week then email Yocheved directly.

It's over 1000 of writers, editors, translators all frum. Most of the writers, editors, and publishers of magazines and book companies are on there.

Thanks, I'll try that!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:15 am
tigerwife wrote:
I’ve had a few short stories published but also quite a few rejections. Don’t take it personally. With writing, rejection is just part of the process.
Ami has a short story contest running now (deadline today I think). Maybe try submitting something there?

I actually submitted this year and last year! (They already rejected what I wrote...)

qwerty4

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:21 am
Just a note about the ami, they barely accept fiction.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:26 am
I went through a medical issue with ds, and kept a small blog updating friends and family about our adventures. I've often thought about submitting it for publication, but would I lose all rights to it if I do?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:37 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Definitely proofread and proofread. I felt that my stories were tightly written - unique-ish plot, quirky characters, no holes left unanswered.

Possibly they are looking for more realism in their published fiction then. Why not try a different tack and see what happens?

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I actually submitted this year and last year! (They already rejected what I wrote...)

Did you get a rejection email for this year’s contest? Because I also submitted a story and they never confirmed receipt.

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:20 am
From everything that I've read, they are looking for simplicity. No complicated sentence structure, use small and common words, keep concepts very basic. It has to be sweet and upbeat at all times, and have a happy ending. Most people read frum magazines on Shabbos, so don't ever get too dark or serious.

Basically dumb it down for people who want light reading, and keep in mind that many, if not most of the readers, don't have any higher education. Keep thinking "lowest common denominator."

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:35 am
Fiction needs to be incredibly well written to be published. They usually rely on thier regular staff of writers for fiction.
Most of the magazines look for short, true-to-life essays and musings, not fiction. Things like "Our Days" in Ami, the last page in Family First, etc. They have plenty of fiction offerings from their regular writers. They are always short on real-life stories.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:45 am
tigerwife wrote:
Did you get a rejection email for this year’s contest? Because I also submitted a story and they never confirmed receipt.

They sent me this yesterday:
Ami Living wrote:
Thank you for your submission to Ami Magazine.

At the present time, we will not be accepting it for publishing.

Due to the number of submissions we receive, we cannot offer feedback
on your writing.

If they didn't respond to you, it means they're considering your writing Smile
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club