Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Experienced mothers help my sleep deprived child

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 1:30 pm
My just turned four year old wakes up at five or five thirty every morning. It doesn't matter what time he goes to bed, he's always up by 5.30. Problem is he is always exhausted and this leads to tantrums and wild behaviour. I can't get him to bed at six and anyway he has never slept for more than 10.5 hours at night. He needs more sleep, but won't fall asleep during the day... I'm going out of my mind. I have tried waking him at 4am and then sometimes he'll go back to Sleep until 5.45 but unless I do this every night it doesn't help. I'm considering melotonin, but he doesn't wake up during the night, can it help him sleep longer?
Anyone been through this. Any ideas how I can get him to sleep longer.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 1:43 am
Anyone... Going out my mind

Teomima

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 2:43 am
You can't force him to sleep longer, but you can train him to stay in bed quietly. Often that will result in him actually sleeping more of that extra time.

Here's what I do with my 4yo: I have a blue nightlight on a timer. It turns on at 6am and stays on for an hour. She has some quiet activities in her bed with her, like a book and a sticker book. If she wakes up and the light isn't on, she has to stay in bed (unless she has to go to the bathroom, of course) and stay quiet until it does turn on (she shares the room with two other kids so she can't disturb them). But if her light is on, she's allowed to get out of bed.

I used a sticker chart in the beginning, to get her used to it. One sticker for each night she quiety stays in bed till the light turns on, and a prize after a week. Now she still needs the light to know when to get out of bed but no longer needs a sticker chart for incentives.

Last edited by Teomima on Thu, Jul 16 2020, 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:32 am
Thank you great idea. Not sure if I'll ever get my son to stay still in his room but it's definitely worth a try.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:56 am
Im a huge fan of audio books. His own cd player or a cheap MP3 loaded up is a great investment. Get him good headphones. When he wakes (use the blue light clock from above poster too) he can listen quietly...if he really needs the sleep he may just doze. What he listens to is obviously at your preference. But theres loads out there.
Ps same can be used for downtime during the day. If he needs quiet time in his room to relax (never a punishment - only "I see youre very tired and need some quiet time") maybe he would lie on his bed and listen for 30 min. Again, if hes truly tired he may just doze off.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:25 am
Does he wake up with sun light? Can you use room-darkening curtains?

SuperWify

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 7:34 am
Sometimes they need to be retrained.

My son did that this week. Woke up at 5 then was a mess the rest of the day. Yesterday I let him go for a nap at 4 pm, woke him at 6 then put him to bed at 9. He’s still sleeping now.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 12:05 pm
The "back to sleep" clock works amazingly well. The numbers change color depending on the time you set them. Red means bedtime, Green means it's OK to get up. If he wakes up and the numbers are still red, then he can play quietly or look at picture books in bed. You can even leave a sippy cup and some snacks next to his bed. Definitely use a sticker chart for positive reinforcement.

You need to lay down some rules, and tell him that he is NOT to wake you up unless it is an emergency.
Is there a fire?
Are you bleeding anywhere?
Is there a bad guy in the house?
Are you being eaten by a bear?

"I saw a BUG!" is not an emergency. Confused

If there are dangerous things that he tends to get into in the morning, make sure that you toddler-proof the house. There's no replacement for adult supervision, but you can't be everywhere at once.

Goldgold

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:09 pm
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Does he wake up with sun light? Can you use room-darkening curtains?

THIS.
some kids need a completely dark room.

also google circadian rhythms
and look into how to get your child onto a better sleep cycle.

amother
Wine

Post Thu, Jul 16 2020, 5:12 pm
I think melatonin is worth a try. Ask ur doc. 500 mcg or 1 mg is more than enough
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics