Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Is Orchard Beach, Orchard Beach Road, Bronx, NY 10464 safe?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 2:44 pm
Im looking for a boardwalk at a safe beach w a non rowdy crowd in the Bronx/Westchester area.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:35 pm
I wouldn't think there is such a thing in NYC and especially not in the Bronx. But what do I know, last time I was there was in 1963. Westchester I couldn't tell you about.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:53 pm
Grew up on Riverdale (10463) and never heard of this place.

hodeez

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 5:54 pm
I wouldn't go near Bronx if I could help it

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:12 pm
google recent riots in the bronx
it would so bad my husband was afraid to go to work in the bronx and he never misses a day

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:16 pm
rye play land has a board walk and a beach I think it is called orchard beach
not sure if it is open to public or if you have to live their
some places close off when it reaches a certain capacity so go early

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:19 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I wouldn't think there is such a thing in NYC and especially not in the Bronx. But what do I know, last time I was there was in 1963. Westchester I couldn't tell you about.

I'm not sure why you would feel compellted to comment on a place you haven't visiting in more than half a century.

Yes, Orchard Beach is safe. But its crowded, and probably not what OP is looking for.

amother
Gold

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 6:20 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
rye play land has a board walk and a beach I think it is called orchard beach
not sure if it is open to public or if you have to live their
some places close off when it reaches a certain capacity so go early

Technically speaking, the beach and parking lot are only open to Westchester residents. In reality, I've never been asked on a weekday. The beach is tiny. The boardwalk is smaller. But its a nice area to walk around.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 7:00 pm
For the doubters:

https://www.nycgovparks.org/pa.....aches

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:35 pm
Orchard Beach is a hit or miss. The times we’ve been there have usually been pleasant. One time we went, two groups of people began arguing. But the police came and it was over quick. I’m not sure how busy it is now with COVID, but the quieter, the better!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 8:40 pm
What are my options for a boardwalk in Westchester (Id consider any really safe area, up to 1 1/2 hour driving distance from Brooklyn) that allows entrance to non residents, I live in Brooklyn)?

https://parks.westchestergov.c.....aches

Croton Point Beach – Open Wednesdays through Sundays.
Playland Beach – Open Tuesdays through Sundays.
Weather permitting. Beaches are for Westchester residents only.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 9:56 pm
play lands board walk is long and very nice if its all open you have to pay for parking ,
I dont think croton park has a board walk and it might be a longer drive

Malkqueen

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What are my options for a boardwalk in Westchester (Id consider any really safe area, up to 1 1/2 hour driving distance from Brooklyn) that allows entrance to non residents, I live in Brooklyn?

I dont know anything about Westchester/Bronx beaches, but would you go to Coney Island boardwalk? I was there a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't too crowded.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 10:08 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
play lands board walk is long and very nice if its all open you have to pay for parking ,
I dont think croton park has a board walk and it might be a longer drive

Thanks but I think both beaches are only available for Westchester residents, see earlier post.

Im only looking for use of the boardwalk, not the beaches/swimmimg. Im not sure if they allow outsiders the use of the boardwalks. Do any Westchester residents Imamothers know?

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:08 pm
Once you are going an hour and a half from Brooklyn , the Jersey shore is your best bet...

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:13 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Grew up on Riverdale (10463) and never heard of this place.

I also grew up in Riverdale but I used to go there all the time. Haven't been in about 10 years though...

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:27 pm
The Far Rockaway beach boardwalk is beautiful (it was completely rebuilt after Sandy) and perfectly safe as far as I know.
If you go earlier in the day there are always people walking, but I've never felt like it was "crowded"
Shouldn't take more than an hour from Brooklyn (sometimes shorter depending on time of day)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:31 pm
How does the atmosphere and the experience of the Long Beach Boardwalk and Atlantic Beach boardwalk compare to the Far Rockaway Boardwalk (Im only interested in walking on the Boardwalk, and seeing and hearing the waves, not actually using the beach)?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Jul 15 2020, 11:53 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
How does the atmosphere and the experience of the Long Beach Boardwalk and Atlantic Beach boardwalk compare to the Far Rockaway Boardwalk (Im only interested in walking on the Boardwalk, and seeing and hearing the waves, not actually using the beach)?

I haven’t been to the Long Beach boardwalk in a few years but I do frequent the Far Rockaway and Atlantic Beach boardwalks. Far Rockaway is wider and much longer. A variety of people, all types. Atlantic Beach is shorter but beautiful! I get a vacation feel when I walk the Atlantic Beach boardwalk. You can also park near Beach 3rd and walk over the Atlantic Beach Bridge and then onto the boardwalk of you want a longer walk. It’s very pretty.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries